Forums Latest Members
  1. dougwhiz Nov 30, 2019

I also loved this book. After reading it, I tracked down Hitlers Lost Sub from NOVA on PBS that shows some actual video of these dives. Both of the divers, John Chatterton and Richie Kohler, also figure prominently in Deep Descent, Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria. It's a great companion book about the divers who risked their lives to explore the wreck of the Andrea Doria.

IMG_1098.jpg

2. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 1, 2019

Currently reading The Daily Stoic and The Art of Thinking Clearly

I hate to read unless it's watch related, but these two have my undivided attention.

3. fraglerock Dec 1, 2019

Sapiens. Highly recommend it.

4. yvrclimber Dec 1, 2019

I recently read Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed by Ben Rich. It had been suggested by James Stacey on the Grey NATO podcast and it was a great suggestion. It had excerpts from many people who were involved with Lockheed over the years, which was part of what made it interesting. Many perspectives. Though it was published in 1994, it still felt relevant.

5. Capt Cave Man Dec 2, 2019

Currently reading Absolute Power by David Baldacci, always pick something for the train commute.

6. mswilks Dec 2, 2019

A World Lost, by Wendell Berry. I highly recommend all of his novels.

7. wagudc Dec 26, 2019

Great book, I loved it.

Matty01 likes this.
  8. wagudc Dec 31, 2019

I was very impressed with this graphic novel by George Takei about his time in the internment camps during WWII. My 10 liked year old daughter liked it as well. I really liked how it captured all of the complexity of the issue. I thought it was very, very good and would be appropriate for most all kids 8 and older.

41atteEGRqL._AC_SY400_ML2_.jpg

9. mswilks Dec 31, 2019

For the watch-loving crowd, this book is fascinating.

[​IMG]

wagudc likes this.
  10. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jan 9, 2020

Im on goodreads if anyone is not there happy to ‘friend’

I try to read one more book each year then I did in the last managed over 80 last year, about to finish my 5th for this year

Highlights for 2019

The Road, Cormac McCarthy
    Their Bookseller Of Kabul
    Dirt Music, Tim Winton
    The Shepherds, Hut Tim Winton
    Jupiters Travels, Ted Simon
    When in Rome: Chasing La Dolce Vita
    Remembering Babylon, David Malouf
    Fly Away Peter, David Malouf
    Then a Love Story, Peter Carey
    Champagne, Peter Liem
    New Iberia Blues, James Lee Burke
    Boy Swallows Universe, Trent Dalton
    All at Sea, On man, one bathtub, one very bad idea
    My year without meat, Richard Cornish
    The Wreckage, Michael Robotham

Edited Jan 9, 2020
  11. Edward53 Jan 9, 2020

If you liked Jupiter's Travels then you might like Listening For Coyote by William L. Sullivan. It's his pioneering acccount of solo hiking the Oregon Trail in the 1980s, which at first might not sound much like a motorcycle odyssey round the world but the introspective, descriptive, quirky style of writing, his philosophical outlook, the incidents that befall him and the people he meets read very like an American Ted Simon. And he, too, somehow makes you feel you are on the journey with him. Though you possibly have enough on your reading list already.....

Matty01 likes this.
  12. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jan 9, 2020

Awesome, sounds good to me, will add it to my list, thankyou!

Edward53 likes this.
  13. CPRwatch Jan 9, 2020

Started reading again after several years of non book reading wilderness ,as I just seemed to lose the enjoyment of reading them. But in the run up to Christmas I was doing my usual charity shop rounds ,& spotted several books that I thought might get me back into the groove & sing to me , so to speak. Anyway I think they might of done the trick as I can’t wait to put my feet up ,& read a couple of chapters each night getting an insight of some of my musical favourites. Have already read Keith Richards Life which I felt a little hard going at times & not exactly a fun read
    . Currently reading Horace Panters Ska’d For Life , which gives one of the best Insights of living a “ pop stars life “ & written in a way that I just want to not put the book down ( High praise from me ) plus I lived the best teenage years through Ska & the Mod revival ( I was lucky enough to see The Specials & Madness several times in concert ) so it’s kind of a personal journey for me . And yes this old bookworm is well & truly hooked again on the written word .
    View attachment 906265

6C03105B-442B-42B2-8ACE-EFD3E6B17986.jpeg
    janice&fred and noelekal like this.
  14. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jan 9, 2020

Chris Rogers: Bucking the trend

15. BDHD Jan 27, 2020

[​IMG]

Trying to know better lol

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 27, 2020

Fun read.
    A40C8DEB-710A-4E4F-8352-79FABBAE879F.jpeg

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  17. watchcollect Mar 16, 2020

As we all absorb and come to terms with our current situation, I will be distracting myself starting with this.

FFEEBA48-278B-4481-8A07-FF2694408C43.jpeg

fraglerock and Professor like this.
  18. Professor Mar 16, 2020

Just finishing up "Boarding Party" by James Leasor.
    An amazing true story of a covert mission of WW2 to destroy interned German cargo vessels in the neutral port of Goa. One of the four vessels housed an illegal radio which was being used to alert U-boats to the course of allied shipping, causing many sinkings.
    To avoid the NAZIs getting wind of the operation and allow plausible deniability the crew of raiders are chosen from British and Scots veterans too old for combat that belonged to obscure Indian militia organizations (little more than gentlemen's drinking and horse racing clubs).
    https://www.amazon.com/Boarding-Par...DHRWY5WQJAE&psc=1&refRID=JPAYRBBK3DHRWY5WQJAE

19. ghce Feb 22, 2023

Just bought these, I feel privileged to have found them.

IMG_20230223_091947.jpg

Rewi Alley is a most interesting man who entered China from New Zealand after being a decorated soldier in the 1st world war but otherwise virtually unknown.
    Upon his death 60 years later he was the most well known man other than Mao in China with 700 million Chinese mourning his passing.

He is a man who has stalked my formative years here in NZ even though in his home country of NZ he was virtually unknown.
    If ever there was ever someone you would like to emulate for his or her humanitarian works it is this man who selflessly devoted his entire life to the betterment of others.
    I hope that sometime in the future his life will be portrayed in film so that others can have an example of what humanity looks like.
    You see films on Ghandi, Mother Theresa and the like as is fitting but a quick search on his life story will reveal a man of equal character and humanity that effected the lives of 700 million people.

Edited Feb 22, 2023
    Aroxx and noelekal like this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 22, 2023

Just finished "The Encyclopedia of World War II Spies."
    [​IMG]

Two thoughts emerge from the reading of it.

If espionage to such an incredible extent was going on before and during World War II, what must be transpiring between nations at this present time?!

After reading the book, I feel that I need to change identities and go under the Witness Protection Program!

Aroxx and ghce like this.