Forums Latest Members
  1. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 20, 2016

In the spirit of the other what are you threads I thought I would start this one. In the little less than one month I have been on the forum I have found it to be a valuable source of knowledge for me. It's also obvious that there is a wide diversity of individuals here from the world over so I thought it would be nice to see what you're reading that others on the board might be interested in reading themselves. It doesn't just have to be watch related and can be books, blogs, magazines or anything you find interesting. Perhaps over time this thread could become a responsitory of links that could help newbies like myself find resources that the board has found valuable over the years as well as a window into other interesting topics.

So to jump this off I have currently started reading a book called "The Organized Mind" by Daniel Levitin. Personally, I have found the vast volume of information that I am now required to process and track (both at home and professionally) to be close to overwhelming at times and this book was recommended to me by a friend. I'm only a chapter in but so far I've found it fascinating. If anyone else has recommendations related please feel free to add them. Thanks and I look foward to seeing what you all come up with!

noelekal, ahartfie and Mr Bing like this.
  2. Mr Bing Jun 20, 2016

I love reading, get through a book a week on average. Mainly crime fiction though....Michael Connelly, John Connolly, Harlan Coben, Linwood Barclay, Lee Child, Karin Slaughter, Chris Carter, Brian Freeman to name a few.

Good idea for a thread.

jumpingsecond, Jking and noelekal like this.
  3. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 20, 2016

Thanks! I used to have much more time for "pleasure reading" before my kids came along (I have 3 sons under 4 years). They along with my growing client base keeps me busy. I find I have a few minutes here and there but most of my heavy reading now is devoted to specific purposes (typically job related in some manner) like the one I mentioned above. When time permits I really enjoy history books especially military history. I've read the Robert Evans trilogy on WW2, many books on ancient Roman history, American civil war, ect. Also love business related books (entrepreneurship, marketing, ect). Used to read anything by Tom Clancy but haven't in years...no real reason why. Hopefully we all can find a few things we can take from this thread as time goes on. I'm thinking with the collective knowledge of this board it's unavoidable!

4. lillatroll Jun 20, 2016

Currently reading a biography of a snooker player called Ronnie Sullivan. I will read anything about boxing and everything by Walter Moseley, a crime writer.

kidkimura likes this.
  5. Mr Bing Jun 20, 2016

If you haven't come across it already here's one for you: Four Kings by George Kimball.
    Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran and the last great era of boxing.
    Read it, you'll thank me for it.

Sorry....I can't mention those four greats without adding a pic.
    image.png

Buster, lillatroll and aap like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 20, 2016

7. Vitezi Jun 20, 2016

For Father's Day...
    upload_2016-6-20_20-59-45.png

ahartfie, Jking and OMGRLX like this.
  8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 20, 2016

Mary Beard's SPQR. Masterful presentation of a different perspective on existence, before the Judeo-Christian overlay.

ahartfie and Jking like this.
  9. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 20, 2016

That one is on my list to read...have the sample downloaded on my kindle so I won't forget. That and Barry Strauss "The Death of Caesar" is on my short list as well.

10. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jun 20, 2016

I've got two books going at the moment. I'm hoping to finish them both on vacation in July.

The first is about the first studio recording of Wagner's Ring cycle of operas, and it came with the 39-side record set of the same that a friend gave me because she knew I liked the Ring and had a record player.

The second is a history of Muzak and easy listening. I love schmaltzy 50s and 60s early stereo recordings, particularly anything on the Command and Phase 4 labels.
    IMG_1804.JPG

noelekal likes this.
  11. lillatroll Jun 20, 2016

I have read the biographies of all four boxers but not that particular title although it is on my list. Robert Duran is my favourite fighter of that era, not the boxer with the most skill, but he had the heart of two lions and heard of elephants.

12. lillatroll Jun 21, 2016

Thanks for the tip, just down loaded it to my Kobo reader ready for my holiday. Going to down load the Johnny Lewis biography too. Australia has a fantastic boxing history although it does not get much recognition in the wider world.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 21, 2016

Les Darcy was the boxer. Blacksmiths son, Australian champ at 16-17 if I recall.
    When you read how many fights he had in a short period you will be blown away.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2016

Currently spending my lunch time on the back deck with this...

[​IMG]

Enjoying it very much so far.

dougwhiz and SpikiSpikester like this.
  15. omegasaso12 Jun 21, 2016

This is only book i enjoy reading since high school......it must be becouse there is so many pictures and interesting text

20160621_102637.jpg

kkt, Taddyangle and Jking like this.
  16. NT931 Jun 21, 2016

Re-reading "The Unwritten". Dense with literary and historical references, a meditation on the thin line between reality and fiction, the power of stories, and filled with some amazing art, this is the one I cite whenever anyone says comics are 'just for kids'.
    [​IMG]

17. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jun 21, 2016

[

i suppose I'm showing my ignorance being relatively new to omega but which book is this?

Edited Jun 21, 2016
  18. aap Jun 21, 2016

Reading this:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RegF likes this.
  19. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Jun 22, 2016

Just finished...

image.jpeg

kkt, noelekal and jsaen like this.
  20. kidkimura Jun 22, 2016