Winding Speedmaster

Posts
8
Likes
0
Hi All, I got my new Speedmaster (1863) a couple of days ago. In the instructions regarding winding it says to wind until it stops, I wound it until it started to spring back then stopped, I did that for 3/4 days, this morning it starting springing back almost immediately, are you supposed to wind to a stop?
Cheers Tony.
 
Posts
6,431
Likes
31,579
I don't think springing back is what you should pay attention to, winding it till you can't wind it anymore is the only thing you have to keep in mind,
 
Posts
958
Likes
515
Hi All, I got my new Speedmaster (1863) a couple of days ago. In the instructions regarding winding it says to wind until it stops, I wound it until it started to spring back then stopped, I did that for 3/4 days, this morning it starting springing back almost immediately, are you supposed to wind to a stop?
Cheers Tony.

Yes.
Wind it until it won't wind any further without forcing it. You will feel the stop when fully wound.
Once a day is the recommendation and the very best way to manage it. It's the tried and true method of old.
Whether it's in the morning as a part of a start the day routine or last thing at night is entirely up to you.
As the power in the Mainspring builds it will push back and backwind a little through the winding crown.
 
Posts
4,876
Likes
24,822
if you wind it every day it should be roughly 20-25 turns of the crown depending on how much you are turning it.
Double that number if it is totally dead.
 
Posts
24,798
Likes
55,079
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
Posts
24,798
Likes
55,079
I'd say we should provide a sticky, but since most people don't read those I don't think it would help...

Shortest sticky ever ... "Turn crown until you can't turn any more."