Forums Latest Members

Tips for New Speedmaster Pro Owner?

1. degminsec Dec 12, 2017

Hi all!

I’m a very happy new Speedmaster Pro owner from a purchase via Kringkily (he’s the best!). Had a couple questions:

1) Any tips on winding practices? Can I overwind?

2) I like the black Nato strap, in that I like the black, but I don’t like all the doohicky’s. Any recommendations for a black strap that’s a bit more streamlined? What exactly am I looking for to make sure the strap is compatible with this watch?

3) If the acrylic gets scratched, how often is it safe to use that polywatch stuff?

Thanks!

919F37DC-4E48-4A23-BB5A-A8E778B3B2F3.jpeg
    ras47, Mad Dog, SteveB and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mozziebite Dec 12, 2017

1. After about 80-90 "normal" partial turns (from being stopped) you'll feel it tighten slightly and then step. Don't try to force it after that. If you were to wind it every day at about the same time it would be about 40 "turns" (not complete revolutions).

2. The Speedy Pro is a total chameleon - looks good on anything.. :)

3. Can't help - so far scratch free. :thumbsup:

gaspass3 likes this.
  3. AnotherDon Dec 12, 2017

Congratulations on that new watch!

1. Just wind it until you feel a firm resistance to further winding. My Speedy Pros take about 34 turns from dead to full wind.

2. Any strap you like that is 20mm at the lugs. My preference for you would be a black alligator strap with white stitching. And, you'll also need a clasp to fit the strap, unless you plan to use a pin-type buckle. Most straps will come with a normal pin-type buckle. My preference is a deployment clasp and I don't have any problems using a no-name after market clasp.

3. Polywatch is good stuff. You should have no problems using it. :)

degminsec and Pun like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 12, 2017

As other said can’t over wind. Looks good on anything. Get instructions for poly watch and protect the bezel.

5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 12, 2017

Maybe try a Zulu style strap. It doesn't have to cost a lot to buy one to try out from somewhere like this lot

6. JamieG Dec 12, 2017

Yes you can overwind it. Wind until you feel it get tighter - do not go beyond this point. Once up and running; a few winds every day will be more than adequate

Personally, just get a load of different NATO’s. Different colours and materials: a new look everyday in a matter of seconds.

Polywatch is your friend. Just avoid the bezel at all costs

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 12, 2017

Get a Kevlar too.

DSCF0001.jpg
    (Not mine)

Other than that, wear the hell out if it.

bovecHD, robinsta and dan7800 like this.
  8. degminsec Dec 13, 2017

Cool thanks everyone! Also, wondering if there’s a watch winding analogy to rechargeable batteries - i.e. some people feel it’s important to fully charge and discharge batteries to preserve longetivity... Is it important to fully wind and sometimes let the watch fully unwind to make sure that the spring goes through its entire cycle every once in a while?

9. degminsec Dec 13, 2017

Also was reading about the official Omega “race” strap which has the deployment clasp and curved parts so that it matches up with the case of the watch... seems nice.. suggestions for the best place to get it?

Tag_Andy likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 13, 2017

No need to cycle the watch.

If you wear it everyday, just fully wind it at night or the morning while you are wearing it. If you are not wearing it then you can let it wind down. FYI a brand new watch may be hard to wind as the seals around the stem are "stiffer" and not broken in. The watch will come to an obvious point in which it will not wind further, it will take a decent amount of force to go past this.

Pictures or link as to what you are describing?

11. casavova007 Dec 13, 2017

I like the way it is on the strap

12. degminsec Dec 13, 2017

photo:

racing.jpg
    bovecHD likes this.
  13. jetkins Dec 14, 2017

14. OMEGAX-33 Dec 15, 2017

1. 1861 and family is 28 turns for a full wind. As others have said don’t push passed the tention when you feel it stop. You CAN over wind this movement and damage the mainspring.
    2. Lug width is 20mm. Integrated (curved end that matches the curvature of the case) may not work because of the spring bar holes. Using a thinner spring bar or bending one to get an after market strap on isn’t worth the potential of losing your watch or having it fall off your wrist. You have endless options though in terms of straps that do work and you’ll find that strap changes will constantly reinvent the look of your Speedmaster.
    3. Poly watch is one. I use Novus2. A soft cloth, dab of polish and work the crystal face down on the cloth in a circlular motion has worked well for me. Not so much at a time that it gets into your bezel. Polishing isn’t an overzealous affair and one that should be done carefully with patience in mind for a nice result.
    Enjoy! You have an heirloom piece that will last generations and the most classic chronograph imho.

15. dan7800 Dec 15, 2017

Be safe. Don't try to wind it yourself. Bring it in for service whenever the power has been depleted.

Play it safe.

Korbus, Wivac, lando and 3 others like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 15, 2017

:whipped:

ThePiper and bovecHD like this.
  17. stockae92 Dec 15, 2017

black strap, 20mm at the lugs, has holes in them. haha :D

[​IMG]

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 16, 2017

There are only a few states that a mainspring can be in...

A - Fully wound

B - Unwound

C - Somewhere in between A and B

D - Broken

There is no such thing as "over wound" and in order to break the mainspring it would require significant force on the crown. The problem with all these over the top warnings of "don't over wind it!" is that they result in people being afraid to properly wind the watch. So people just need to wind it until it stops, and use some common sense and they will be fine. This isn't rocket science, it's just a watch...

Cheers, Al

19. OMEGAX-33 Dec 16, 2017

Lol, not sure if I missed something but I was providing friendly feedback and OMEGA specs on number of turns.
    28 turns as I noted is an official OMEGA spec which may be interesting to those that care to know.
    I disagree on your claim that “over winding” doesn’t exist. “Over winding” is a socially acceptable term and widely recognized for applying to much torque on the winding mechanism which in turn has the ability to “break” the main spring. Main springs as mentioned in your part “D” “state” of main springs break not for the sake of disintegration. The main spring as part of the winding mechanism is either over torqued or becomes fatigued and breaks over the course of time.
    Common sense would dictate that you stop winding when you find that the winding mechanism signals that’s its completely wound. So I do agree with you that we should employ common sense. Not nearly enough of it. And perhaps we may at least agree to disagree.

Edited Dec 16, 2017
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 16, 2017

Socially acceptable [​IMG] Technically correct.

By the way, a watch that is "over wound" is widely recognized as referring to a watch that is fully wound and not running. That is also incorrect, but it doesn't stop it from being socially acceptable.

Rather than muddy the water with terms that have no real meaning (or different meanings) it's better to just stick to facts. Just wind it until it stops - period.

Cheers, Al