Forums Latest Members
  1. Peter_from_NL Nov 6, 2019

Hi there,

I finally have my first vintage Omega. It is a Genève from 1969, my birth year which was the whole idea. I have been looking for a Constellation for a while but lowered my wishes and first went for the entry-level. Newly serviced, original dial and case only slightly polished. It still need to receive a proper strap and then I'm done here. The Constellation will follow on the longer run.

So, I am happy.
    IMG_8832.JPG

Now I have a very stupid question on the 601 calibre which of course is hand wound. How far do you wind? I am afraid I break something so I just turn like 20 times or so but what is the rule here?

Thanks!

Rochete likes this.
  2. Peter_from_NL Nov 6, 2019

When I reread the post above I was feeling so stupid.... :)

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 6, 2019

Wind it until it stops. If it never stops, you have a service related issue.

4. Peter_from_NL Nov 6, 2019

Oh great. So there is no way you can break something by going "to far". Up to now only automatics....

5. KingCrouchy Nov 6, 2019

20-25 turns should be perfect for a full wind.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 6, 2019

When it stops, stop winding. As @KingCrouchy said, that may be 20-25 full turns but it could be more. Just stop winding when it stops.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 6, 2019

As others have said, wind it until you feel it can't be wound any more.

If you are concerned about winding too much and breaking something with too much force, then there are a couple of things you can do...

I would suggest very lightly gripping the winding crown with your finger and thumb. By keeping the grip light, when the watch reaches full wind your fingers will slip on the crown, rather than force something too far.

Also keep track of how many winds it takes to wind it daily. That way if you know for example it takes X number of winds typically, you can slow down at X-2 winds and take it slow up until the watch is wound.

There seems to be a lot of concern about this issue on forums, but for the most parts you would have to crank the crown pretty hard to do any damage.

Cheers, Al

8. Peter_from_NL Nov 8, 2019

Thanks all.

9. Stosh Nov 8, 2019

I have that exact same Geneve. It's been highly reliable and very accurate since the service I had done 3 years ago. Enjoy it!

10. Steveblue1970 Nov 21, 2019

Hi. I have just bought a 1970 Geneve and would and have asked the same question.

In respect of servicing ( although allegedly serviced last May) I would like to treat my new friend to a service.
    How much should it cost me and does anyone have a recomnended venue?.
    I live near Wolverhampton /Birmingham Uk

Thanks