Forums Latest Members
  1. blubchub Sep 30, 2014

Hello, I recently purchased a Speedmaster First Omega in Space Numbered Edition. The watch is brand new and working perfectly. This is my first mechanical watch.
    I've read that in 1861 movements, you're supposed to wind them until they stop. I've tried this, but the crown wont click anymore but the crown can still move a little. In other words, it stops winding but the crown can still move - it doesn't come to a dead stop like seen in this video:

Should I be concerned with this? I can post a video of my situation if needed. Thank you very much

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 30, 2014

Welcome, you've picked a great watch.

Sounds normal to me. Don't force it once it stops clicking and it'll be fine. :)

3. photo500 Oct 18, 2014

Yes, sounds perfectly normal to me too. Nothing to worry about probably

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 18, 2014

Wind it untill you can not wind it anymore.

Changes over time and feels weird with it wearing in.

Will settle down after a few months and you will know every time its fully wound

5. TLIGuy Oct 18, 2014

ron n, Fusion and ashleysteadman like this.
  6. Matt-C Oct 19, 2014

Mine is the same and I just assume its normal. It will wind to a stop but there's probably half a turn of 'spongey' spring tension after that, so as other have said I just wind it till it stops. I do have other mechanicals (Tissot) that stop dead.

Mine is a 1861 in a 3570.50 and is 2 months old.

Standy - what changes over time, just the general winding resistance?

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 19, 2014

You will notice for a few months you will get a bit of wind back as you start to get towards fully wound. Wind through this until you cant turn any more.

After a bit you loose the wind back and its wind till you can not. :D

8. George.A Oct 21, 2014

Look at thing from this perspective: winding a Speedy from zero to full power reserve takes around 40-50 complete rotations. At a power reserve of 48-50 hours, this means every complete rotation of the crown represents 60 to 70 minutes of power reserve. So, even if you do not wind it to the maximum (although from your video it seems to be just fine), you will get 47.5-49.5 hours of pr instead of 48-50 :).