Forums Latest Members
  1. Watchmutt Oct 3, 2017

My newer Speedys seem to have a bit of resistance to winding. So I have to use my right thumb and index finder to turn it clockwise. There isn't much to get a bite on and I have to roll it along half a turn at a time. Its actually a pain in the butt to wind. I can imagine that people with big fingers would have a harder time with it.

My older Speedy (25yrs) is much easier to turn, so I can use my index finger rolling it with a front to back motion from underneath pretty quickly.

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 3, 2017

I have a new Speedmaster and although it's not the easiest watch to wind, I don't find it too difficult. I don't have a vintage Speedy, so I can't compare the two.

3. Screwbacks Oct 3, 2017

not for me, it's just being kept inside the safe so with the rest of my hoard. i dont set time either on my daily beater watch since i started collecting because i have 2 cellphones that take care of the job.

4. Shailor Oct 3, 2017

My '92 winds easily with the edge of my forefinger.

5. abrod520 Oct 3, 2017

How new? Sounds to me like it's time for a service - I've had newer Speedmasters (2004-05) that needed quite a bit of effort to wind, but it was a sign that the watch just needed to be serviced.

@Archer can either confirm or disprove this, but I think you're better off rolling the crown between two fingers as applying pressure from one side can put undue stress on the crown stem.

6. gdupree Oct 3, 2017

Mine isn't hard to turn. Nice viscous feeling resistance, but not hard. I just wind it with two fingers until it stops. I don't go for the one finger wind, which just seems like it has to be putting more force on the stem, which doesn't seem right. Probably not that big of a deal in any case. I'm not sure there is any real wrong way to wind, provided that you stop winding when the crown stops turning.

Man I really don't get that. That would drive me crazy to not even have it set. It such a functional dependable piece, its already sitting on your wrist - why not toss it a bone and let it do it's job? its beggin ya to be used!

mikesspeedy, Screwbacks and Kmart like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 3, 2017

Yes, it's better to wind using thumb and finger than applying pressure from just one side.

8. ras47 Oct 3, 2017

Mine is a 44mm Co-Axial so winding is pretty much automatic. On occasion I will wind it manually, but that's rare.

9. Watchmutt Oct 3, 2017

As an example I just picked up a Tintin, probably made in 2015. It's not super hard to turn but it's hard to get a grip on the crown with my finger tips. This makes winding tedius, but maybe it's an opportunity to relax and think of the day ahead as I wind it :)

Good point about putting pressure on the stem I will avoid single finger winding.

10. M'Bob Oct 3, 2017

Was told by a local watchmaker that, inside the crown, there is a rubber gasket, which actually offers less resistance to winding as time goes on, because it dries out. Can't confirm or deny the veracity of this, though.

11. rohnin Oct 3, 2017

Isn’t it bad to not wind your watch occasionally because the balance spring might get deformed or oils might settle?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 3, 2017

Just replacing a crown on a Seamaster...old crown with worn seal on the left, new crown with new seal on the right...

[​IMG]

The balance spring isn't going to get deformed unless something is acting to deform it. Oils are held in place by capillary action. Letting a watch sit is not "bad" for it.

Cheers, Al

13. rohnin Oct 3, 2017

Like gravity?

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 3, 2017

Maybe on Jupiter I would be concerned with the gravity...but then again the -100 degree C temperatures and atmosphere made out of hydrogen would probably be more pressing issues...

15. M'Bob Oct 3, 2017

Thanks for the pic. It looks like the ID on the inside of the new crown in less, so true that the new crowns offer more resistance to turning than the worn ones?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 3, 2017

Yes. That can be mitigated with the use of lubrication on the seal, such as Fomblin grease (which is what I use), but and old worn out/dry seal will generally be easier to turn the crown.

delraywatch and M'Bob like this.
  17. M'Bob Oct 3, 2017

Thanks Al.

18. delraywatch Oct 3, 2017

Archer is correct, the seal may just be a tad dried up.. A bit of lubrication inside, with the crown pulled out, and then wind it a lot- push the crown in and out a bit too. Will then turn smooth as it should.

-John

19. sevenhelmet Oct 3, 2017

My Speedy's crown had a little resistance during winding at first. After a month or so, it relaxed noticeably. No idea how long it was sitting before I bought it. After I had it serviced (during which the crown and seals were replaced), it winds with no feeling of extra resistance. The end of winding usually catches me by surprise, so I try not to exert too much pressure while I'm twisting the crown.

20. sevenhelmet Oct 3, 2017

I'm a little confused by your post. So you wear a watch but don't wind it or set the time? Or you don't even wear a watch?

Kmart likes this.