Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster winding questions

1. SM3781 Oct 11, 2016

Hi all, great forum. I just picked up a speedmaster moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005.

What is the "proper" winding method? My previous Omega was semi auto. When I pull out the crown, it spins both ways. Does it matter which way I spin it to wind it? I don't wear it daily.

I downloaded the manual, but it has instructions by 'calibres'. How do I know which calibres mine is so I can follow the manual properly?

Do The Evolution likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 11, 2016

Instructions
    https://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/Watches/Basic_Functions/Guide_311-30-42-30-01-005_English.pdf

For best results wind the watch at the same time everyday. Twist the crown when it is in the first position clockwise i.e. Away from you towards the top. It will stop do not force it past that.

It's ok to do it at other times or let it run down, but for best accuracy it's best to be consistent when you are wearing it.

You have a 1861 movement which is for all intents and purposes identical to a 861 movement.

Welcome to forums hope you stick around.

Doc Savage likes this.
  3. EatMan Oct 11, 2016

don't overthink it. but I do recall how it felt to get my first manual watch, asking the same questions, feeling like I may damage the watch by doing something incorrect.

setting time: you can go both clockwise or counter-clockwise.
    winding: you wind clockwise. You can rotate counter-clockwise but you are actually not winding. It's like filling your car's gas tank. you can wind a little and it's fine-- it'll just not run as long. Most prefers to fully wind-- you will feel the resistance and the watch will not allow you to wind anymore when using reasonable force. just don't "top off"-- then you can damage or break. for me, it takes about 40 turns or so for my speedy to fully wind. don't overthink it.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 11, 2016

You don't need to pull out the crown to wind it. You pull out the crown to set the time.

5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 11, 2016

Clockwise 40-50 turns should do it. As @dennisthemenace says, no need to pull out the crown. Just wind it.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 11, 2016

Even as a kid I knew how to wind a watch, it was almost instinctive.

We now have questions from a generation of people who have no idea what goes on inside their watch.

Not denigrating the originators of these posts, just a sign of the times I guess.

noelekal and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  7. EatMan Oct 11, 2016

I only owned quartz or digital watches growing up. yes, a sign of the times. no different than asking most people under 40 if they know how to drive a stick. not many know how to drive a stick. mainly just car enthusiasts. no different. unless you're a watch person, the likelihood of you owning a watch that needs winding is pretty low....

Doc Savage and Kofosu like this.
  8. meganfox17 Oct 11, 2016

I think @SM3781 is only paying great respect to the Moonwatch & naturally a little cautious on his 1st manual winding[emoji4]. That's Cool !

That's @JimLnOz right there, all in a hurry to grow up! 6b1207886b4ad9b40a75452a84d968e0.jpg
    The left was my very 1st watch & i would never trade it for the right[​IMG]

P/S- Ahem..ahem @EatMan I still drive both manual & auto

Edited Oct 11, 2016
    creighton and EatMan like this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 11, 2016

There, fixed it.

Manual transmissions are still the greater majority (tautology?) in a number of countries, predominately Europe, Great Britain etc.

Mossback likes this.
  10. EatMan Oct 12, 2016

Really? Did not know that. Curious why that is if true.

11. Slipstreamer Oct 12, 2016

Three words---cost of fuel. It costs almost three times as much as gas in the States. Most of their cars, including the Mercedes S class have smaller engines in order to be fuel efficient.

12. Slipstreamer Oct 12, 2016

Although a manual transmission in a car used to be fuel efficient, computer mapping in auto transitionals make them just as efficient in newer cars.

RightYouAreKen likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 12, 2016

And while we're on the usual thread drift, it's probably why Great Britain has a "GO" sequence of RED, then RED+AMBER, then GREEN.
    I think it's to allow drivers to engage gear before the green comes on.

I found it completely normal driving manual motorhomes/cars around Scotland for six weeks.

I remember in the USA (and here in Australia) the "GO" sequence is RED, then GREEN.

dr1v3thru likes this.
  14. meganfox17 Oct 12, 2016

@JimlnOz . I think you abso-bloody-lutely know how the typical Malaysian driver behaves on the road[​IMG]

Andre C, Doc Savage and dr1v3thru like this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 12, 2016

I KNOW!

One morning on the way to work from Penang I was following a car from the ferry to the base along Jalan Kampung Gajah and he put his indicator on to turn left, so I thought, OK and went to pass on his right.

THEN HE TURNED RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

Knocked me into the oncoming lane, thankfully Malaysian drivers were good at dodging motorbikes and Aussies, if not using indicators correctly.

The Malaysian policeman who attended said "Ah Yes!, probably a Chinese man".

I asked why he said that and he replied that the man was probably trying to deceive any spirits following him so he made out he was going left and suddenly went right, right into me!

A lesson in driving/riding in Malaysia that I took note of for the next three years!

ExpiredWatchdog and meganfox17 like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 12, 2016

My wife is Australian, and from what I recall she indicated that back when she got her license, it had to be done driving a manual transmission - not sure if that's true these days.

I have owned both autos and manual, but over the last nearly 30 years, usually one of our cars has been a manual transmission. My last three cars have been including my current car, and my next one will be also.

17. Pun Oct 12, 2016

We in India do the same. I don't know in how many countries follow our rules...

meganfox17 likes this.
  18. Slipstreamer Oct 12, 2016

Here in the States, yellow means go faster before it turns red (don't do it kids)...

tpatta likes this.
  19. Slipstreamer Oct 12, 2016

Two of our daily drivers are automatic because my wife doesn't drive a manual (stick-shift). My weekend car has a manual transitional.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 12, 2016

My wife took my car today - manual transmission. She drove one exclusively for the first 10 years we were married, until we finally scrapped it. Is your wife not interested in learning?