Forums Latest Members

Manual Winding tips For my Speedy

1. Damian533 Jul 31, 2019

Good-evening everyone ,
    Im new to the forum and subsequently new to Manual wind watches, all my other watches are Autos. With that being said about a week ago I bought myself one of my Holy grails the Omega Speedmaster Professional Sapphire Sandwich. In short due to my lack of knowledge on Manual wind watches I have serval questions.

1. How many times do I wind the watch to have a full power reserve I.E how many turns or how many revolutions till its topped off?

2. What happens if I overwind the watch?

3. Lastly hows everyones day?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Heres a pic of this gorgeous piece of craftsmanship.

1dKkSY53TvaSunYXi63tBg.jpg

lustrousaurus likes this.
  2. Dan S Jul 31, 2019

Just wind it until the crown won't turn any more.

Darlinboy, Pun, Archer and 1 other person like this.
  3. ilayd Jul 31, 2019

Welcome to the forum... I think it takes something like ...... it actually doesnt matter how many turns. Keep winding until the crown stops. You will definitely know once it's stopped. Just dont try and Hulk it past the point.

4. Damian533 Jul 31, 2019

So I’ve simply turned it till I got rebound on the crown( when the crown jumps back a little after i turn it) so I should keep turning past that point.

MMariotti likes this.
  5. Dan S Jul 31, 2019

When the mainspring is fully wound, you literally will not be able to turn the crown any more. You will feel a hard stop.

Foo2rama and Damian533 like this.
  6. BenBagbag Jul 31, 2019

When you feel that first rebound of resistance, do not wind anymore. That's it.

Damian533 likes this.
  7. Dan S Jul 31, 2019

Damian533 likes this.
  8. Damian533 Jul 31, 2019

I was reading that 40-50 turns is recommended do you guys agree ?

9. Dan S Jul 31, 2019

You will probably hit the end before 50 turns, so give it a try, and you will learn what it feels like when it's fully wound. Unlike an automatic watch, there is no clutch, and once the mainspring is fully wound you won't be able to turn the crown any further.

10. BenBagbag Jul 31, 2019

Please don't count how many times you are winding.

Again, this.

mayankyadav likes this.
  11. Dan S Jul 31, 2019

@BenBagbag, I think the OP is going to misunderstand your instructions, and think that he should stop winding as soon as he feels some resistance.

Walrus and Damian533 like this.
  12. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 31, 2019

If your watch is only a week old you will likely get a small amount of rebound after every turn.
    Just wind it till you can't wind it any more. You would need to be an oaf to do any damage.

airansun, Damian533 and Dan S like this.
  13. Damian533 Jul 31, 2019

Thank you that clears it up I was about to post I feel resistance after 15 turns lol so when it dies out I’ll just give it a full wind till the crown stops

14. Meme-Dweller Jul 31, 2019

You don't have to wait until the power reserve is gone before winding (and that defeats the purpose of a timekeeper if it has to stop). In fact, timekeeping gets pretty crappy as power reserve levels diminish. Wind it when you're on your pee break.

Damian533 likes this.
  15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 31, 2019

Wind it when you put it on and when you take it off. Covers my use.

MMariotti and Damian533 like this.
  16. PhilF Jul 31, 2019

Wind it every morning, runs about +4-5 seconds a day, correct it when it's 30 or so seconds ahead. It's relatively new, may settle down a bit, certainly within specs.

careless_whisper and MMariotti like this.
  17. Duckie Jul 31, 2019

This is more or less how I run mine.
    It's less of an impost that way.

To the OP.
    as others have stated, simply wind it as many turns as it takes until you can't wind any more.
    Don't count the turns as it's somewhat irrelevant because your winds may not necessarily be equivalent to someone else's winds due to the design of the Winding crown and watchcase.
    It comes down to your dexterity and a degree of mechanical sympathy. It's a rather tactile experience.

It will all become apparent after a few weeks practice.
    Enjoy.

MMariotti likes this.
  18. larryganz The cable guy Aug 1, 2019

19. MMariotti Aug 1, 2019

I can echo what it was said. I wind mine every morning, and that gets me through the day just fine. At the beginning, especially after servicing or when the watch is new, it might be a little bit more challenging to understand when to stop, but trust me, you would have to be brutal before you break it.

Overall you'll get pretty good at it after a week or so. I really enjoy this but of connection with the watch.

20. Walviskroket Aug 1, 2019

Try to wind it at the same time, apart from that you should be fine