Forums Latest Members

ROLEX releases new model "The Holiday" due to stock shortages!

1. Evitzee Feb 11, 2020

Put the bong down, sir, and step back.

2. janice&fred Feb 11, 2020

weed is for wimps. I'm into needle drugs.

Morrisdog and nzshadow like this.
  3. watch3s Feb 11, 2020

I was in Zurich, Geneva, London, Paris and Amsterdam a few months back. All sports cases were empty. Mind you this was Beyer's in Zurich, Bucherer in Geneva. Good thing I am happy with my 5 digit serials and care nothing for the 6s.

janice&fred and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. Evitzee Feb 11, 2020

I was told by someone in the industry that the Bucherer outlet in Luzern is the largest seller of Rolex in the world. They get several shipments from Rolex per day, yet no steel professional models in stock. Somehow they disappear between the receiving dock and the showcases.

Porker likes this.
  5. janice&fred Feb 11, 2020

I also couldn't care less about these late model jobbies. When it comes to rolexes, it's plastic only for this kid.

nzshadow and watch3s like this.
  6. Porker Feb 11, 2020

Don’t have a an office job mate... so can’t just jump to reply at your request... also need to sleep.

You can call it bollocks all you like, but the fact is Rolex makes watches in sufficient quantity... it’s flippers ( just a new word for the new age collector) that have long term relationships with dealers and scoop the cream. These watches don’t get any wrist time.. they simply get past on for a profit.

How many watch adds have you read where the seller is trying to create the impression that it’s a personal item he’s moving on? Watch in rotation... unwanted gift... wants to upgrade etc ...

I’m not trying to be difficult, but if that’s your game on any forum, do you really have fellowship and real interest at heart or just fleecing members? I’m not talking about someone selling a watch at a reasonable price, taking in consideration age/damage or just want a fair profit. I’m talking about hardcore flippers here who
    as a whole create shortage and then profit from it.

7. janice&fred Feb 11, 2020

um...isn't this kinda already been discussed like a gazillion times here? Are you really thinking your take on this is novel and enlightening?

still waiting for that list of countries you mentioned.

Kmart, MJKauz, nzshadow and 3 others like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2020

that’s flatly wrong. I’ve talked to long time Rolex sales people. They are not receiving any SS sports models to sell. It’s not them being skimmed off for flippers. That makes zero sense for an AD to do. That just ruins relationships with other buyers for someone that would be buying anyways.

your logic is clearly flawed.

MJKauz and Archer like this.
  9. Evitzee Feb 11, 2020

It all comes down to supply and demand. My view is Rolex underprices their SS models for reasons we don't know and that means they wind up being sold at the 'real' market price to end customers. There is no need to get wound up over this, it's the way an efficient capitalist market clears itself. If it upsets you there are plenty of other brands available at prices less than MSRP. Check out Omega!

watch3s likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2020

5 years ago Rolex was too. (Except Daytona) they constrained production to kill the grey market which they have.

grey is not flip, grey is buying extra stock forced on dealers and selling at reduced price. Rolex and Omega are working to prevent this in different ways. Rolex a non public company with no shareholders went with the nuclear option and constrained to make anyone that made a living selling excess Rolex stock move on.

Archer likes this.
  11. Porker Feb 11, 2020

Timepiece360 in Dubai and Egypt, they have physical stores and subs advertised at $12k US.. also GMT etc.. a bit more pricey... shown as new arrivals,... no, I did not call them....

Just an example... there are watches out there in selected markets, I’ll send screenshots from their website to someone who knows how to post... Just send me an email address

12. Porker Feb 11, 2020

13. Dan S Feb 11, 2020

Funny to come onto a watch collector's forum in 2020 and think that this topic hasn't already been beaten to death. Maybe take just the tiniest bit of time to accustom yourself to the forum and members. Does anybody know who you are? Do you have any credibility? I'm not sure if this is your goal or not, but unfortunately, you are just coming off as a troll.

Here are two threads to start with:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/i-d...-what-am-i-missing.95204/page-26#post-1429667
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/conversation-with-my-rolex-ad.101423/

MJKauz and watch3s like this.
  14. janice&fred Feb 11, 2020

I wonder how that worked when rolex never allowed ADs to discount stock. If an AD discounted extra stock to a grey dealer then rolex would certainly catch on to the offending ADs by the grey market dealer selling new stuff lower than the minimum retail standard they impose.

15. Dan S Feb 11, 2020

Correct. As you know, the major grey sellers don't have Rolex models. I think that was the point that @Foo2rama was making.

You were right when you said that this has been discussed endlessly in previous threads, so I already know what everyone is going to say. :D

watch3s, Foo2rama and janice&fred like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2020

They are not an AD... they are a a third party reseller aka a flipper. I can get you any SS Rolex right now at the same price in the US. From a shop that has purchased from flippers. They are located 100feet/30meters from a large Rolex boutique with nonSS sports watches. I also know where they got their watches and it’s not that location.

AD’s cannot sell above MSRP they loose their authorized status and allocation.
    Additionally it is expressly against the Rolex Authorized Dealer agreement to advertise prices or sell over the internet.

Your still very wrong and misinformed.

Edited Feb 11, 2020
    jankymutt, Kmart, MJKauz and 7 others like this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2020

They could discount stock. Just not advertise prices above or below MSRP or sell above MSRP. There was no MAP price.

Edited Feb 11, 2020
    janice&fred likes this.
  18. ATWG Feb 11, 2020

This is a ridiculous thread, pls shut it down and put it out of its misery.

jankymutt, Kmart, MJKauz and 7 others like this.
  19. cvalue13 Feb 11, 2020

no, just some time well before Dec. 25, 2018, at least. ::stirthepot::

OP: the fact is, nobody here has any explanation that is based on data. There are just inferences, anecdotes, and suppositions - some better than others. This is why, as many have pointed out, there are several such threads on this topic - if anyone had hard data on the explanation, the topic would be moot. it’s fun to discuss and debate things that aren’t easily determined.

Your (unwitting) misstep was offering your own view in a way that riled up the “experts” around here. In turn, their (intentional) misstep was deciding that they’d rather not persuade and educate, but instead :whipped:

I’d call it even. There is lots to learn here on OF, for everyone.

Jeeper and Foo2rama like this.
  20. Porker Feb 12, 2020

Ok Dan/Evitzee, ill take my medicine ... as you said just my own view and thats how i started the thread ... given i have colored it in a bit, but the point im trying to make is that for the price of a discounted flight ticket, its worth going on holiday where there is stock and have the piece of mind of buying an authentic piece given how the market is panning out...
    And i will stick to my definition of a flipper ... a store that employes staff, pays taxes and offers a fair price is still a good guy ...