Forums Latest Members

Watch returned to chrono24 seller due to defects. Who pays the return shipping?

1. Kargol Nov 13, 2020

I bought a watch through chrono24 and it came with a crown that does not screw in and with a bezel that does not turn. This was not mentioned at all in the seller’s listing.

So my questions are:

why chrono24 says that the return shipping costs are not a responsibility of the seller ? Isn’t it unfair ? Why should I pay 30-40 euros to send the watch back internationally when I got a watch that is not as described ? This was 100% the sellers fault! I got really surprised when I read that in their return list of obligations of the buyer. Of course the seller agreed to pay the cost and I have his messages through chrono24, but they send me this list of my obligations that I should pay for the return.

I guess that the amount back on my credit card will be exactly what I paid without the extra shipping back, so I will have to find another way to get the shipping money from the seller ...

What do you suggest? Did that happen to you ? Anybody experienced? Seller or buyer?

thanks for your attention and help

Edited Feb 5, 2021
  2. wristpirate Nov 13, 2020

Is it from a private seller? If so I think sadly there is not much that can be done about it

Some photos to explain the issue would help here

Kargol likes this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 13, 2020

If you’re returning because the goods were defective and not as described of course the seller should make you whole and cover return shipment.
    If you and the seller are in Europe I think you’d even be better protected, provided that the seller is a professional and you’re not. Consumer protection laws in Europe are very strong, especially for items purchased by mail from a professional.

Kargol likes this.
  4. Dan S Nov 13, 2020

Not necessarily a C24 issue, but I've had to pay for shipping many times to return a watch that wasn't as described. It doesn't seem fair, but if the seller won't pay, I just suck it up and do it. The seller will just claim that the watch wasn't defective and it could end up being a big battle that isn't worth the trouble.

Pazzo, Radiumpassion, rbob99 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 13, 2020

+1 it sucks but sometimes it's the lesser of all evils

There is also an argument that says you accepted the terms on purchase but I'm not a lawyer and again ....it sucks

Kargol likes this.
  6. Kargol Nov 13, 2020

No . It’s a professional dealer

7. Kargol Nov 13, 2020

The watch is obvious that came not as described. I don’t think photos are needed to prove it here. The seamaster was shown with an extracted crown in the pictures but I thought he did that to stop the hands. In our conversation I asked him if the watch is ok 2 times. Also he replied he is sorry and didn’t have the time to check the watch.
    my real issue is not the seller. He accepted to pay the shipping . My issue is chrono24 that despite there is a proof through our conversation that the seller accepted it, they still have sent me an “obligation list” of the buyer in which rule No 1 is that the buyer must pay the shipping. Why did they do that?

8. Shabbaz Nov 13, 2020

I think because there are also a lot of private sellers on chrono and in the EU there is - regarding private sellers - no legal obligation to pay for return. For professional sellers it's different. They have to state in the add the return costs are for the buyer. If not, they need to pay for the return. I think... Europe has a lot of international consumer law. But maybe I'm wrong... :D

Kargol likes this.
  9. Evitzee Nov 13, 2020

There are a few things you need to factor in when buying sight unseen; return postage if the watch isn't what you expected, and the cost of an overhaul sooner rather than later. Fair? No, but life isn't fair.

Kargol and wristpirate like this.
  10. Kargol Nov 13, 2020

There is no way to buy the watches I want in my island in Greece. We don’t even have omega ad here. Not to say bout zenith and other brands that don’t even have an ad in all Greece. But anyway this is not the point. The point is that a professional seller must pay the price for not checking a watch he sells.
    I don’t accept excuse like “life is unfair”. This sounds too romantic and naive for me

11. Walrus Nov 13, 2020

Didn’t you just have another issue with a different watch on chrono? I have been considering using them but I’m reading a number of tales here that give me pause. If I give someone the money they are asking for something they describe one way and it is of another way that is just a big bummer/hassle. I know everything entails risk and things to happen to items in transit. But dishonesty bothers me. Well I’m sure there are many positive deals done on Chrono it’s just weird so many negative experiences (not just you) popping up in a cluster. TBH I’d gladly pay the money to get rid of it and get the larger sum back, ya it sucks but my whole day today kinda sucked and no one is going to refund it for me.

Kargol likes this.
  12. Kargol Nov 13, 2020

This is my third issue on chrono24, but I also have other 20 great buys and more than 10 good sales myself as a private seller.
    You know what? In the end it always ends up fine fortunately. However I don’t like being a loser. I don’t only lose 30€ to return a watch .I also lose all my day writing emails to seller and chrono24, and more than 2 hours to get my car park it, and go to the courier office. Not to talk also about the great expectation of a watch I like and the psychological and nervous break down when it comes broken.

yes life is unfair, but business and especially sales must be fair. Especially for professionals. I can’t accept chrono24 claiming that a professional seller is not obliged to pay for return when it’s obvious that he is wrong. It’s ridiculous .

vinny likes this.
  13. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 13, 2020

Beyond sympathy and understanding what exactly are you expecting?
    Most have understood your viewpoint shared their thoughts and tried to make you feel a little better however, given that we cannot change anything at C24 and you are unlikely to either, all we can do is tell you pay for the return with gritted teeth, get the watch sent back and then never deal with them again.

14. Kargol Nov 13, 2020

You are right...
    Thought I could have started a revolution... :)::facepalm1::

Gav1967 likes this.
  15. Kargol Nov 13, 2020

Thank you all for your comments.

I thought someone might had the same experience and found a way to take the return shipping cost form chrono24. Paypal does it(with a limit of 36 euros per year I think), and I have done it once.. Thought that it would also work in Chrono24 somehow..

Gav1967 likes this.
  16. Walrus Nov 13, 2020

Ya I’m not belittling your frustration. It is a crappy situation no doubt. I don’t blame you for not wanting to cover the post back. I’m just at the point where I just want to get things over with quickly and take a hit on occasion is just part of that but damn stick to your guns if you think it might work out and you don’t mind waiting and possibly more frustration more power to you

Kargol likes this.
  17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 13, 2020

If I go to buy a watch in a vintage watch shop, and when I get home it stops. Not to worry it’s warranted.
    I’ll take it back
    Should I make the shop pay for my petrol?

kov, ZIELSZIEK, Archer and 1 other person like this.
  18. Kargol Nov 13, 2020

This is not a good argument my friend.

No you should not. But I also pay petrol to go to the shipping company. In addition I don’t buy it from a vintage shop that sells clothes and also watches. I buy it from a professional watch dealer and also I buy it online, with all my rights in electronic sales

19. Oku Nov 13, 2020

If it has a warranty and the defect hasn't been declared, you can make the shop to pay for your petrol.
    But nobody does it as most buyers do not know it and no seller will do this voluntarily. But it's a legal claim (at least in Germany).

vinny and Kargol like this.
  20. Evitzee Nov 13, 2020

I think you give to much credence to a 'professional' watch dealer, many dealers just want to push product through the pipeline, they are not professional in assessing, grading or pricing watches. They are salesman, just like those that sell refrigerators, stoves and ovens. It's a product to make money on.