Forums Latest Members
  1. Pazzo Nov 12, 2020

So, he has had one foot in the grave for many many years now.
    I've always known him to look that way. :)

I love their Paint It Black track.

M'Bob likes this.
  2. jaguar11 Nov 12, 2020

Cool!!!,

3. asrnj77 Nov 12, 2020

...there is a Seiko sub-forum at TRF :p

4. texasmade Nov 12, 2020

The subforums are pretty good at TRF. On the actual Rolex forums, seems like every other thread is about investment or AD games/rants. I don't really read the Rolex section that much anymore on TRF. I mainly stick to the Omega, AP, other watches sub forum over there.

janice&fred and flw like this.
  5. pdxleaf ... Nov 12, 2020

Having just lost on two auctions by snipers (still annoyed) who bid past what is realistic, I for one don't need any more competition from newly woke Rolex junkies. It's bad enough now without more buyers of those hidden gems.

God save the Rolex forum. If it didn't exist I think we'd have to create one.

Braindrain likes this.
  6. pw92676 Nov 12, 2020

Overall I am relatively new to both forums.
    TRF has become indundated with value, investment and general nonsense talk. But I still enjoy it and find a great deal of quality talk and info there.
    I don’t have enough experience here but have found that it’s overall a pleasant place.

One of the things I frankly never have, and never will, understand is the bitterness that some people create amongst the brands and the brands’ wearers.

Scooterino36, mzinski and pdxleaf like this.
  7. Rman Nov 13, 2020

My father used to say “you know what people who live long lives have in common? They aren’t killed by the things that kill the average person.”

They probably also don’t add stress to their lives with watch brand complexes.

M'Bob, RI Omega Fan and janice&fred like this.
  8. Benbradstock Nov 13, 2020

Welp I thought it was just me. All due respect to everyone involved, but I find the OF crowd far more interesting and personable than that of TRF.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2020

Its really just a matter of preference, both Trev and myself had accounts on TRF prior to OF and have participated in many threads in the past. Omega is a very broad church in terms of its models and the variety within that and I think that's part of why you have so much overlapping ownership with other brands, there are a lot of great watches out there to be celebrated and as long as they're not Invicta they all tend to at least something cool they make if they're still actively in business.

M'Bob, Larry S, pw92676 and 2 others like this.
  10. gpssti4 Nov 13, 2020

What’s a Rolex........

11. zwjk Nov 13, 2020

The vintage subforum is great on TRF with plenty of knowledgeable members who have been in the game for years. The rest of the forum I do not visit.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 13, 2020

Do you want to be on the waiting list for an answer to your question.
    Asking a few more easier questions about Tudor will move you up the list.
    Current wait for Daytona questions is 5 years.;)

Rudi99, MtnMarine, cicindela and 3 others like this.
  13. pongster Nov 20, 2020

I read once: why the tyranny of OR, why not the genius of AND

pw92676 likes this.
  14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 20, 2020

If I add a Rolex to the menagerie here I might join TRF. Might not though for I don't admire the tone set there and the moderation is much inferior. OmegaForums is more broadminded. There's scope here. The moderation here is the best executed in all of Forum-land. Besides, I know that the cream of TRF is already here for any Rolex question I might have.

Stewart A likes this.
  15. asrnj77 Nov 20, 2020

I think what irks me most is the “donation” they ask for. For $30 annually you’re able to receive extra PM space but coincidentally it’s also the only way to post sales advertisements. Somebody with one post can pay $30 and start posting FS ads although as a limited poster they receive appropriate skepticism.

If they were based in the US the tax authorities would be all over the “donations” made by the thousands of users.

16. mjb Nov 20, 2020

I think it's $45 now. :p

I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, there is very little advertising on the site, which is what typically pays for maintaining it. And for something like TRF, with huge traffic and quite a bit of content, there is a significant cost for servers, Internet access, software licensing, etc. I remember the Rennlist (Porsche) forum was in the thousands of dollars a month just to keep it running. Until the founders sold it to a for-profit company, and then the whole tone changed, and not for the better. But they also had a "premium" supporter account option, required if you wanted to post a classified.

As long as you are not required to contribute a "donation" and can still do nearly everything for free, I don't see why you should be irked.

FWIW, the owner of the site resides in Australia, so one presumes that it conforms to the laws there.

blufinz52 likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 20, 2020

Owner is a barrister :whistling:
    So would say he’s all over the laws here......

18. asrnj77 Nov 20, 2020

Sure, and it’s amazing that OF is able to run without charging fees and not requiring posters to shrink images before uploading. If TRF has 5,000 donations (total guess, could be more or less) that’s $225,000 (presumably tax free) per year without any advertising. Edit: TRF has 243,119 active accounts according to the member list. They also run watch giveaway fundraisers where paying members can enter a fee (let’s $100 each) for a chance to win a new GMT. It’s not a bad opportunity and I’ve entered in the past but these draws easily make another $25,000 a shot for the site.

It raises an interesting question about how much web traffic any watch site would get if they didn’t allow sales posts.

Edited Nov 20, 2020
    kkt likes this.
  19. Rodentman Nov 20, 2020

I've been banned 3 times from TRF. I finally realized it was a colossal waste of time and just a haven for the wealthy to show off and belittle everyone else.

Walrus likes this.
  20. Jeeper Nov 20, 2020

To Dentman.
    Why banned 3 times?

How desperate where you to be accepted
    Jeeper