Forums Latest Members

What other hobbies are you into?

1. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 12, 2020

Learning to play and collecting guitars. Currently I'm much better at buying them than playing them but the playing is coming along. I like reading, but recently I can only do so in short bursts before getting sleepy so I've pivoted away from novels or long books and focused more on poetry, magazine articles, and short stories. I play a lot of video games with my daughter. I like running when I can do it outside in nice weather, so like 3 months a year.

Before fatherhood I used to love playing golf, but it takes too much time away from the family.

pumpernikiel, noelekal, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  2. JPE.88305 Feb 12, 2020

Before kids:
    -golf
    -bourbon & scotch (pleasure)
    -coffee (pleasure)
    -home improvement projects
    -vacation
    -film
    -stamp collecting
    -reading novels & political journals
    -running

After kids:
    -LEGOs
    -bourbon & scotch (therapy)
    -coffee (therapy)
    -home repair projects
    -travel with family
    -LEGO movies & shows
    -I have some old stamps somewhere
    -reading LEGO books
    -treading water

pumpernikiel, 30t1, NoName and 22 others like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 12, 2020

"Thank you for the Lego set! I'll get my daddy to put it together for me!"

JPE.88305 likes this.
  4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 12, 2020

When counting I guess thru my life I have actually collected hobbies.

Things - vintage
    -boats
    -cars
    -motorbikes
    -mopeds
    -bicycles
    -houses
    (and watches of course)

Things to do:
    bicycling
    fishing
    reading
    restoring all the the above under "things"
    an array of violent sports
    writing
    hunting
    butchering (goes together with hunting game)
    mushroom-picking
    splicing
    smoking cigars
    travelling
    diving

I could go on forever.
    My hobby is hobbies.

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    30t1, STANDY, Bumper and 3 others like this.
  5. wagudc Feb 12, 2020

I enjoy Old-Timey music.I started to get into it after watching Oh Brother Where Art Thou, but am now finding the real classics after watching Ken Burn's Country Music documentary.

Engee likes this.
  6. wagudc Feb 12, 2020

Do you have any stamps from Tuva?

7. Engee Feb 12, 2020

I'm afraid not. I collect pre-1980 stamps on a cycling theme (cycling is my real obsession).

8. Engee Feb 12, 2020

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is one of my favourite films and also got me interested, for a while, in that music. I have the Ken Burns doc on my Netflix list waiting to be watched.

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    wagudc likes this.
  9. ChrisGio315 Feb 12, 2020

I play golf and drink bourbon...Put those together with watches and, yeah, welcome to my life

flw and Shabbaz like this.
  10. FREDMAYCOIN Feb 12, 2020

Push the start button on my speedy chronograph, bang-like a rabbit, hit the stop button and envy the time.

11. Waltesefalcon Feb 12, 2020

I have a couple of project cars I piddle with; I enjoy hiking, fishing, camping, hunting, and target shooting; I play the clarinet; this summer I plan on doing some research with the Kiowa tribe and possibly publishing a paper; I enjoy repairing antique machines and have a table top Victrola to repair the motor in and a mid 1800s traveling harmonium that I need to repair a tear in the bellows and work on the action; I enjoy music and collect records.

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    noelekal and Dan S like this.
  12. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Feb 12, 2020

Wow, been impressed with a lot of these responses, heaps of interesting stuff going on!

Me, I’ve been into cycling for a long time now, mainly on the road but most recently at the velodrome. Before that I spent all my free time rowing (as in boats, not arguing) but was never heavy or tall enough to take it to the next level.

I’m quite creative - enjoy drone photography, illustrating and creative writing, currently have an idea in mind for a horror novel which I can’t seem to get started (any hints, @Donn Chambers??). I also belong to a drama group where I’ve been in various shows and also directed a few, although am planning to pack that in soon.

I like a lot of music, AOR, jazz, blues etc and my hifi is my 2nd baby after my Speedmaster.

Oh, and barbecuing in the summer, plus I make the best homemade pizzas mankind has ever tasted :thumbsup:

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    30t1, Dan S and Wetworks like this.
  13. wagudc Feb 12, 2020

I first learned about Tuva from the documentary called Genghis Blues. If you have an interest in esoteric documentaries and music, I highly recommend it. The film's connection to stamps is indirectly to the physicist Richard Feynman who first learned about Tuva collecting stamps. I also recommend the book Tuva or Bust, about Feynman's interest in Tuva. The Tuvan stamps are known for their unique shapes and scenes.

[​IMG]

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    noelekal, JPE.88305 and Engee like this.
  14. wagudc Feb 12, 2020

When I am not busy at work or being Dad, I have a few hobbies:

Trying not to get injured while playing soccer with college kids as a 40+ year old man.
    Watching soccer
    Trail running
    Collecting music of most all varieties, including country and rap. I used to buy records because they were cheap, now I buy CDs.
    Thrift store shopping for vintage style men's clothes.
    If I can sneak away long enough, mountain biking.
    Gardening with native plants and edible plants (both native and otherwise).
    Eradicating invasive plants from the woods near my house. An excuse to swing a machete, and hatchet.
    Cooking for myself and family.

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    Dan S likes this.
  15. ArtGecko Feb 12, 2020

That's me, too! Deb says I'm a serial hobbyist. :)

The two longest lasting and most often revisited are photography and shooting. Got my first camera at age 8, and Grandpa's old .22 rifle soon after. Neither very serious. I don't collect; I accumulate... Right now, I'm gathering some lenses and cameras to put on eBay to fund another new camera.

Currently, I have a '58 MGA, four motorscooters (I used to ride motorcycles), six bicycles, two kayaks, and an entire woodshop stuffed into the garage. And I can barely get to any of them! We travel, hike, camp a bit in a squaredrop trailer, grow a big vegetable/fruit garden, and more I forget now. I love to read, but the book frequently falls and hits my nose while I'm "reading"...

I don't nap, but after hearing about that hobby above, it sounds like something I would enjoy. The best part, and what would make Deb happy, is that it doesn't cost anything! :)

noelekal and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  16. abrod520 Feb 12, 2020

I've gotten into scotch a little, but drink it mostly when I'm sitting down for a movie or to catch up on TV shows.

However, my free time is split between obsessing about watches and playing Dirt Rally 2.0 which has sucked up much of the weekends that I'm home. It's just so much fun

Wetworks likes this.
  17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 12, 2020

Sex

Watch my Whisky likes this.
  18. Wetworks Feb 12, 2020

I didn't realize this counted as a hobby. I guess I can add another one to the list!!!

Rumar89, Flatfoot, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  19. Canuck Feb 12, 2020

We’re pretty well ALL into that! :D:D What other obsessions do you have (other than watches), as in individual? ;)

Fritz likes this.
  20. 1st speedy Feb 12, 2020

Got out of the aquarium hobby 2 years ago.
    Just wanted a break. I had 4 tanks going at a point keeping piranhas. Was is the piranha hobby for 20 years. Then i got into saltwater.
    Fish , corals and fancy light fixtures that simulated weather patterns and all. But I sold everything. Itching to get back into it.
    I collect coins as well. Ancient greek coins, royal canadian mint, uncirculated numismatics.
    I study naturopathy. Jiujitsu and pankration.
    Man....I'm into too many things.
    You guys have interesting hobbies also. Cool to see what others do.

Dan S likes this.