Forums Latest Members

What other Swiss watches are worth collecting? Not so mainsteam watches.

1. novina Sep 10, 2015

SO I have been wasting time on the bay and have searched using this, "vintage swiss made automatic". I see alot of cheap, but nice looking, watches appear. Those from India are of course "cleaned up" but alot of untouched, original examples can be found. Only issue is, there are so many makes that I have not heard of that it is daunting to just buy one. I usually do some research into the company name and see where that takes me. So long post short. What other watches are worth collecting? Even if just for fun or asthetitics. I know about Zenith, Ball, Longines as all hgher end, but what about the low end? Any input would be great.

Rob

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 10, 2015

Forget "low end"; there are plenty of mid-range brands that represent excellent value in the vintage market. Two of the best – and there are a wide variety to choose from – would be Eternamatic and Girard Perregaux Gyromatic.

Regards,

Tony C.

3. marturx Sep 10, 2015

Then you have Lemania, Universal and Angelus. Some Certina and Tissot are worth collecting IMO

Good value for money

4. abrod520 Sep 10, 2015

You could always check out the lower-end Heuers as well, some of which are still in what I'd consider the "affordable" end of vintage watches, <US$5k. If it's automatics you're looking for, a Viceroy Autavia might do nicely depending on your sense of style and preferences of watch size.

5. novina Sep 10, 2015

What of Rado, Mido, and Rotary? Worth it or not? Oh, for those of us with a moderate working wage and a family, sub $500US would be perferred. And even at this level would fall some Omegas, such as my 1960 Seamaster, and several other "better" watches. I just wonder about the others? I thank all for their responses and will look into the afore mentioned brands. And if I could come up with the cash any time soon, I saw a Longines here that I would really want. So many watches, but so little money.lol

6. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Sep 10, 2015

BWC & Sicura

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 10, 2015

How about Swiss-American hybrids?

Bulova and Gruen both made watches that were equivalent to full Swiss brands in their day. I've bought 1950's 23 jewel Bulova automatics for as low as $30.

Hamilton was a step above these two, but are still undervalued in the market based on the movement quality, particularly for pre-WWII models. Still can get nice ones in the $100-$200 range, but beware redial and excessive case wear problems.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. Davidt Sep 10, 2015

I like the so called 'Poor Mans Heuers' from Hamilton, Zodiac, Tradition, Clebar. Based on the Valjoux 7730 movement.

Zodiac and Hamilton in particular have many other models which have that classic look.

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 10, 2015

I'm pretty dumb but not dumb enough to advise you what to buy but I can tell you what not to buy.

In general, stay away from "poor man's" xxxxx.

These watches are for poor men not for no reason.

Many times, there's no logical sense for why an identical watch (and, I mean identical) from a no name brand will sell for a small fraction of the price of the "rich man" version. But, they do and they always will.

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 10, 2015

There are some exceptions. For example:

"IWC is the poor man's Patek."

"Zodiac, Tradition, Sears, etc. is the poor man's Heuer."

These two comparisons have some vague or direct truth to them and the watches are excellent.

Novina,

It seems you're very new to vintage watches. I would highly recommend you post here whatever watch you plan on buying. I know you might worry that one of us will snatch it away from you - but the benefits far outweigh the risk in this case. :)

IMG_20141203_124850557.jpg IMG_20141113_145350331.jpg IMG_20150903_090302495 (1).jpg
    maanu, philgund, davidswiss and 3 others like this.
  11. novina Sep 10, 2015

Eveyone has a niche they like. I look for good quality and now with ETA pulling the plug on parts, also one I can have seviced. If I apply myself with saving properly or selling unused items, I will stay with Omega. But I love that classic look and Longines Admiral looks great to add, reminded sell that unused stuff now!, Ugh, but This was to ask if other Swiss companies are basically "good to go". Understanding which watches have which movements is a big learning curve. And I have seen and liked watches from all the brands mentioned here. But this is for my enjoyment only, collecting, with the possiblity of passing it down to my son. But that is a long time from today. For him would be my Omega and my Bulova Kirkwood fopr now. But the watch bug has bit and I spend think thinking about this or that. This was just such an excersice. I just wanted to see the other side of collecting, perhaps strictly for the diversity and enjoyment, not just collecting for a return.

12. ulackfocus Sep 10, 2015

Tony nailed it - the most undervalued brands are Eterna and GP. As industry-influential and well made as they were, I just can't understand how they aren't commanding the same money as Omega or Longines now.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 10, 2015

Shhhh! Some of us like it that way. :whistling:

How many Longines did you scarf up cheap before they were "discovered" by the masses?
    gatorcpa

TexasKevin likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Sep 10, 2015

Ooops, sorry. ::shy::

Fair enough.

Everyone ignore Tony C's and my posts.

NT931 and bazamu like this.
  15. happytapy Sep 14, 2015

Ollech & Wajs. Nivada, Heuer and Breitling. Pity they have to be Swiss, as I am rather partial to Sinn and Yema. I have 4 Yemas and they are so sweet. All with Swiss movements, but really interestingly designed.

16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 14, 2015

One of my all-time favorite Swiss watches "on the cheap" was Wittnauer. The "poor man's" Longines, it is often maliciously marketed by eBay sellers as a Longines because of the relationship they had. It was proudly engraved inside the watch cases and printed on the boxes and marketing materials: "A Longines-Wittnauer Product."
    Make no mistake, a Longines is a superior watch movement by far. But Wittnauer had a variety of very attractively styled watches and dials. Many movements (in the 60's) were A. Schild movements. These were sturdy and reliable, and parts still seem to be available for many (of course as time passes the parts for any vintage piece get harder to source).
    Be wary of the case diameter-some can be small. Many were at 33mm, which is small for my taste currently, but still fit my 7.5" wrist well.
    Most (heck, I think all) of the examples I picked up from the 'bay were under $100. And most were automatics. Just know when it comes time to sell, you'll feel like the only collector that ever appreciates them.

happytapy likes this.
  17. happytapy Sep 20, 2015

Could not agree with you more.

Here's my Wittnauer, cause its the only one I could afford :D. Its in my collecting parameters and was pretty cheap. Studio shot by my brother in law (prof photographer), and its a nice watch.

I have the L W box to prove your statement above, and I probably am the only person on the plant to love this little number. Probably no one else would. ::facepalm1::
    [​IMG]

novina, Time Exposure and George.A like this.
  18. Shem Sep 20, 2015

I happen to like Frederique Constant's manufacture movement watches. The designs are very nice, the movements are in-house and unique, the company is independent, and the prices (grey market) are very low indeed for what you get.

19. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 20, 2015

Probably not!
    I don't claim to have searched to exhaustion, but I have never seen this one before. And heck yeah I like it! Is that a Wittnauer bracelet?

EDIT: Another brand I loved for its style and price was Zodiac. However, prices are climbing as more folks catch on. Seems like all the ads I see for Sea Wolfs and GMT Aerospaces from the '60's are going with the Vietnam War theme. "These were favorites of American soldiers during the Vietnam War..." Not a lie, but I hate seeing ads that capitalize on trivia. "Went to the moon!" Speedmasters, "Same movement as the Daytona!" Zeniths. Hey, anything to sell a product, right?

Edited Sep 20, 2015
    wsfarrell likes this.
  20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 20, 2015

There are so many good, under-the-radar vintage brands that opportunities abound for patient collectors!

Here's an excellent brand and model that can be easily sourced, though of course finding the best examples takes some time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

novina likes this.