Forums Latest Members

What other hobbies are you into?

1. ilayd Feb 11, 2020

I have a few hobbies, but one that's been the longest ongoing is keeping a saltwater aquarium with coral and fish (I've made a post about it here, if you want to take a look). I was also busy for some time restoring the Mustang in my avatar, but I've not touched it in about 2 years now. Lastly, I like learning new menial skills via YouTube or forums - currently learning how to build my own computer which I plan to do in a few months time.

Slowpoker, UncleBuck, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  2. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2020

Hi
    Like @Canuck ,Beside watches, I collect clocks, marine chronometers, horological literature , PLUS Marine Clocks... like Boston, Chelsea or Harvard....

I have an old Saab convertible. ......

Play with vintage audio gear.... plus old wind up Phonographs like Victrolas and Edison Cylinder machines !

Good Hunting

Bill

noelekal likes this.
  3. jsducote Feb 11, 2020

I collect old maps of places I've visited. For example, here are maps from the mid 16th-century of England and Bohemia by Sebastian Munster, from before when North-up was the standard:
    Munster.England 1552.Bergbook.1293.jpg Munster.Bohemia 1552.Bergbook.455.jpg

I have other maps of Africa, Netherlands, Italy, France, and Belgium, with specific city-maps of Rome, Haarlem, and Brugges from other cartographers like Braun & Hogenberg, de Fer, and of course, Ortelius. I'll be adding a map of Ireland soon, but still need Spain, Japan, and China from vacations past.

NoName, 30t1, Martin_F and 10 others like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2020

One of my tattoos is a map monster that was on a 15th century map. Will add a link to it later

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    jsducote, Dan S and 89-0 like this.
  5. Ludi Feb 12, 2020

My favourite hobby too FE72F074-0F90-4AEB-B984-89DE9DCA09DA.gif

6. WYO_Watch Feb 12, 2020

I have found most of my free time recently has been committed to remodeling our house. I’m not a carpenter or general contractor or electrician or plumber, but I really enjoy figuring things out and using my hands to create something. Currently finishing 1100 sq feet of basement and have just recently mostly finished the upstairs (kitchen, fixtures, crown molding, doors, electrical outlets/switches, paint, etc.)

kitchen before
    A930C1AD-1AD0-4DF0-B752-E9B156793427.jpeg

kitchen during (not quite done)
    B83E7B79-4601-4F65-A893-7E4E47A8864D.jpeg

30t1, noelekal, flw and 7 others like this.
  7. Pvt-Public Feb 12, 2020

Is napping a hobby?

8. Shabbaz Feb 12, 2020

Definitely

Jaco166 and 30t1 like this.
  9. speedydownunder Feb 12, 2020

30t1, Flatfoot, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 12, 2020

I've long preferred to hear about other people's hobbies and interests rather than their careers and what they do for a living.

I have hobbies and interests, more than I have the time, money, or good sense for.

Firearms collecting and associated shooting sports along with reloading and hunting are of great interest to me.

Reading and antiquarian book collecting: (oh ... any ol' book of interest deserves a place in the home library). Love American, British, and European history and literature up until about 1900. I have a low threshold of entertainment so love reading history and dead 18th and 19th British novelists.

Numismatics: U. S. and British coinage. Type coin collecting mainly with interest in a few complete series.

Vintage watches: Only wrist watches so far. Have fought for years to avoid going down the rabbit hole of pocket watches as well.

Music: Collecting recordings and listen to classical and classic rock. No country music or rap need apply. We'd rather listen to the stereo than to watch television. Play various instruments, to include primarily the accordion. Keep five accordions on hand.

Vintage double-edge razors: Have amassed nearly all the 20th century Gillette models in model progression since 1904, only lacking about three minor variants, Collect other brands as well. Shave with all of them too. I've always despised shaving so this was adopted to add a bit of whimsy to an otherwise mundane task.

Pea whistles: Don't ask me why? I have no idea.

We love travel. Local, long road trips, or international. It's all good.

Used to fish a lot when I was young and into adulthood. Grew up with good fishing always available. Life got in the way and I sort of got out of the habit. Need to get back into it.

Used to keep a vintage automobile. A money pit, but I love vintage vehicles. Would like to get another one day.

Edited Feb 27, 2020
    ConElPueblo, flw, Flatfoot and 9 others like this.
  11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2020

Hey @noelekal

i totally forgot my vintage Gillettes !! including a double ring, and a Bulldog and a Big Boy! Have others and some brushes... but the last eyar I grew a beard. So its a weekly shave ! But my daily driver is a R41 ( 2011) with a Cooncat Bob ( RIP) handmade bull mastiff handle XL tutone ( handle for the non safety razor crowd)....

Good shaving

Bill

noelekal likes this.
  12. KingCrouchy Feb 12, 2020

I really like to push myself to my limits and get injured. Therefore I mostly do boxing, brazilian jiu-jitsu and weight lifting.
    I also enjoy reading about strategy theory, philosophy and playing Chess.
    Until now I played Theater but with a new Job I will see if that's still possible.

I don't mind a hike in the swiss mountains.

IMG_20200131_125113.jpg
    noelekal, Dan S and blufinz52 like this.
  13. Canuck Feb 12, 2020

I have an antique Rolls (English) razor. I’d sooner shave with a shovel.

noelekal and Bill Sohne like this.
  14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2020

Hi
    I think we all have one .... somewhere ... hahahahah

best
    Bill

noelekal likes this.
  15. Wetworks Feb 12, 2020

I used to be a hardcore PC gamer (bike takes up more of that space nowadays), and there's nothing menial about PC building, it's quite technical, but straightforward at the same time (if that makes sense). It's also a bit of an art form when you consider the options for color scheme (lights and components) and the all-important cable routing. As an aquarium aficionado, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're not only going to really like the project, but be very good at it your first time around.

I'm in the process of upgrading a couple of things, I'll edit this post with updated pics when I finish this weekend.

16. mistasix Feb 12, 2020

I collect US & Soviet memorabilia from the cold war space race. Been into BMX since I was a teenager as well.

wagudc and blufinz52 like this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 12, 2020

Yep. A Rolls lives here. Very clever design, but it's a whipping.

Fun stuff, the old Gillettes.

The "Double Ring". Started it all with Gillette double-edge razors in 1904.
    [​IMG]

Personal favorite for me is the 1930s Gillette Aristocrat. Makes one feel like Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, or Humphrey Bogart when using it.
    [​IMG]

The Aristocrat with a couple more uncommon one-year only issues, a Regent Tech from 1941 (center) and a Rhodium plated Executive from 1949 (left).
    [​IMG]

Jaco166, NoName, 30t1 and 4 others like this.
  18. mjb Feb 12, 2020

Really interesting stuff here, thanks guys! You're not all a bunch of watch nerds after all. LOL

I used to do a lot of racing and HPDE, but that's an expensive hobby and my last crash convinced me to quit (in 2002) but lately I've gotten back into it, just twice a year. Currently with a BMW M2.

resized DSC_1093.jpg

Wood working is a big hobby, although I get into spells where I just don't feel like it. One of my favorites: (American Cherry)

DSC_6948.JPG

I go to the gym 4 days a week, but that's more a health thing than a hobby. And photography, but I'm not very good at it.

NoName, 30t1, noelekal and 8 others like this.
  19. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 12, 2020

Fishing, preferably kayak fishing. DSC01998.JPG
    90lb Tarpon from a 9' kayak
    2012-12-31 010.JPG

CUJO, NoName, ConElPueblo and 8 others like this.
  20. 140dave Feb 12, 2020

I kayak fish as well, but I’m usually into 2-5lb rockfish, not like above!

But really love to read and collect modern fiction, especially from The King.
    image.jpg

NoName, Bill Sohne, Edward53 and 4 others like this.