Forums Latest Members

What Non-Watch Brands Are You Intensely Loyal To?

1. texasmade Jan 19, 2020

Right now I only have 1 pair of JL shoes with another pair of JL being made in Paris. I also need to go to Paris to do my Corthay fitting for my first pair of bespoke from them. I usually wear my 1 bespoke pair 3-4 times a month and mix in my other RtW pairs. I have like 25 pairs of dress shoes so there’s a lot less for me to buy now other than bespoke.

Shoes were my first and still my favorite hobby.

2. JwRosenthal Jan 19, 2020

I went through this with work boots- for me it was White’s boots (and their oxfords which are sadly no longer available to the US market- only to Japan). Once you get a custom pair of shoes- nothing else feels right.

texasmade likes this.
  3. Dsloan Jan 20, 2020

A couple of years ago I scored 4(!) John Lobb shoes, a pair of Edward Greens, and 2 Crockett and Jones in my size at a thrift store, for $15 each. They're all great, but the John Lobbs are something else. They seem like they use twice as much material as any of the other makers. Can only imagine what they'd be like if they were custom.

Tyro Rex, osc, ejj and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 20, 2020

I typically refuse, on principle, to purchase products from companies which use the word "bespoke" to characterize their wares. However, a hefty discount via clever shopping such as yours is certainly a mitigating factor. :rolleyes:

5. Dsloan Jan 20, 2020

It was the best thrifting honey hole I've ever found. I'll be chasing that thrill the rest of my life :cool:...

wagudc, Tony C. and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. Peter_from_NL Jan 20, 2020

Apple. For now...:..

And Omega and Porsche. Not the most cost efficient combination.

7. Peter_from_NL Jan 20, 2020

Oh and I forgot a cheaper one... Gilette! On a daily basis!!!!!

8. jsducote Jan 20, 2020

Fragrance is another area where I am fiercely DISloyal. I buy whatever appeals to me at the time. I wore Terre de Hermes (and Dior Sauvage before that) but currently wearing Bulgari Man in Black, picked up at the duty free in Cancun. I wish I had bought the Tom Ford (Oud Wood, I think?) instead but, even without tax, the price!

PS: I was joking with the gal at the OB about the Omega Cologne being in the back corner of the shop, away from the spotlights, suggesting that had something to do with the quality. She said that the Europeans who come in make a beeline for it. My SO actually liked it too. So maybe it qualifies for this thread?

Edited Jan 20, 2020
    Tyro Rex and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Jan 20, 2020

The Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is probably one of the few modern fragrances I would wear- it’s very much rooted in vintage style- like his clothing line. It’s like a brighter and less droning version of the Guerlain Vetiver which was one of the classic men’s fragrances from the 50’s- but so soapy and over the top you feel like you need another rinse in the shower after putting it on.
    Perhaps if I mixed it with cigarettes, hair cream and bourbon it would make more sense.

Edited Jan 20, 2020
    Tony C. likes this.
  10. vbrad26 Jan 20, 2020

I've worn the Prada Amber Pour Homme for the last 10 years or so...
    I always have a bottle of that around (among others) so I guess you could say I'm pretty loyal to that one.

Pun and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. ejj Jan 20, 2020

Hard not to like Patagonia products and business practices. If you don’t know much about the company, it’s a worthwhile search.

mr_smith likes this.
  12. osc Jan 20, 2020

Killer score. Was that location known to have higher end items? Have you scored anything (maybe not as big as a haul) since then?

Dsloan likes this.
  13. Dsloan Jan 20, 2020

No, it was a pretty basic thrift store. The staff said that they have a regular who is a buyer for high-end menswear and he always drops off crazy stuff a couple times a year. Before I had a baby, I used to thrift weekly and had a little side business selling online. Had my most consistant luck with ties - once found a half-dozen Hermes ties at a Goodwill and made a quick $300 unloading them. But those shoes were my best luck to date.

osc likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Jan 20, 2020

We have a Junior League store near my house- got a dozen Hermès ties there for $5/ea- all flawless. Constantly get mid 60’s Brooks Brothers ties there (the real rep fabric with regimental stripes- love those), Men’s Coach saddle leather satchel for $10, and hit paydirt one day there with a wardrobe from someone who was clearly shopping on Savile Row and Jermyn street in the early 60’s- bought it all and took the lot to my tailor and all are fitted perfectly now.
    The thrill of the hunt is part of the joy- but you do have to know what you’re looking for.

Dsloan likes this.
  15. Dsloan Jan 20, 2020

Oh, I know that place! I've had lots of good luck there over the years. And, at risk of derailing the focus of the thread, I must also plug the JHU auxillary sale if you and other Baltimore folks don't already have it marked on your calendar.

16. JwRosenthal Jan 20, 2020

Lol!!! I forgot you live here!!! Yup- The Best Dressed sale, that thing is no joke and they have been doing that for decades. The men’s selection is hit or miss but can be decent, but the women’s stuff is off the charts- a whole room of cashmere! I know women who earn 6 figure+ salaries that never miss that sale.

Dsloan likes this.
  17. Dsloan Jan 20, 2020

I book the day off work every year so I can wait in line for the opening day, lol.

In the interests of putting this thread back on course, I would like to plug Rogue Fitness as an incredibly reliable brand.

18. JwRosenthal Jan 20, 2020

Or you can pay a fee and be part of the pre- opening high-roller viewing the night before with cocktails, canapés and hob-nobbing, you get second crack at the good stuff- you know the volunteers get first crack...i wonder how many vintage Omegas & Rolex’s have been just donated with full wardrobes after someone dies that never make into the sale....I would be a volunteer for that first rights benefit.

And back on track: Thorogood boots- Made in USA!

Dsloan likes this.
  19. texasmade Jan 20, 2020

This is true bespoke. I've been to the John Lobb Paris workshop to see my shoe last.

20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 20, 2020

If you "bespoke", do they "belisten"?

BlackTalon, KeithS, Tony C. and 3 others like this.