Forums Latest Members

What is important to YOU when choosing a watch?

1. Scooterino36 Oct 1, 2020

Interested to hear how people (honestly) evaluate their watch purchases. For better or worse, here are my top considerations:

Top 5 most important

1. Brand
    Admittedly, I am a brand loyalist (for everything, not just watches). Whether real or perceived, I buy into Omega's brand identity, and have built my collection around it.
    2. Nostalgia
    I am a sucker for a good story (also see #1 above) behind a watch model. Not just the watch, but the people who wore it. Also, my tastes tend to lean towards designs of the past.
    3. Technical features
    I love vintage style, but I geek out over complications and new materials or innovations. Makes sense why the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial was my grail, a fusion of vintage style and modern tech.
    4. Cost of ownership
    Good bang for my buck is important, and I think Omega as a brand sits in a good sweet-spot in terms of cost of purchase/maintenance vs. what they deliver.
    5. Versatility
    I favor references that are suitable for multiple occasions. However, I can envision this preference evolving over time.

Top 5 NOT important (I wouldn't say these are least important, but rather notable)

1. Value retention
    I buy to own. This is simply a tie breaker if I ever needed it when choosing a watch.
    2. Rarity (in manufacture)
    I like a good deal, so I tend to stay away from limited editions. Perfect example for me would be the Seamaster 300 MC vs. the Spectre Limited Edition. Slight design changes and limited runs result in a significant price hike in the preowned market for these 2 watches.
    3. Prestige
    Since my collection is Omega focused, this isn't a factor for me on an individual watch purchase.
    4. Popularity
    I do not view it as important to have a widely revered Omega reference, nor is it important to have a hard to find or off the beaten path reference either. If I like it and I am in the market, I buy it.
    5. Fit
    If I am to be honest, I would say most of my collection wears big. I do not favor the look of a big watch on the wrist, I just like the watches more than I like a perfect fit.

Feel free to critique mine or share your Top 5s.

2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 1, 2020

No, I think you’ve nailed it as far as I’m concerned.

Unlike you, I’m not hugely bothered about technical features. If, roughly, it keeps good time, that’s pretty much it for me.

Edit: And has a pretty face.

3. bradurani Oct 1, 2020

Pretty damn spot on. I think I'd scratch versatility and add design. I don't need versatility because I have dozens of watches and can always find one for the occasion.
    I'm with you on fit not being that important. A lot of guys obsess over this, but I rarely wear a watch more than 1 day in a row. I can wear a funky watch that doesn't fit all that well for a day without getting annoyed just so i can enjoy its style, then switch to something else the next day.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  4. Marsimaxam Oct 1, 2020

I agree with Spruce, as far as I'm concerned we are on the same page, the order may differ and maybe one or two changes.

My List
    Top 5 most important

1. Appeal
    I must find the dial, hands and case ( in that order ) attractive. I don't care if it is a ridiculous bargain, if I don't find the watch attractive then I'm not buying and I'm not a flipper
    2. Nostalgia
    The history and character of the watch are important to me. I love patina too.
    3. Cost
    Everyone wants to believe they have gotten a great deal, no one wants to pay 10k for something when the same item can be had for 5K. It must be within my budget.
    4. Movement and Complications
    I want a watch with a quality movement and I have always marveled over complications
    5. Brand
    Over time I have developed a preference for certain brands, Rolex, AP, Omega, etc, and I seem to focus my collection on those particular brands

5. pw92676 Oct 1, 2020

Great post.

For me, it’s appeal/aesthetics and brand/brand loyalty.

Prestige, value and “investment” noise are not of any interest to me. I buy to wear and enjoy.

Cost still plays somewhat into the decision. For instance, for “$X I could buy one of this or buy 2 of that”. And eventually as $X rose, it became “I can buy a watch or a new car” lol.

Readiness77 and Scooterino36 like this.
  6. lillatroll Oct 2, 2020

I have 3 criteria

I like the watch

I think it is worth the money

I have spare money to buy it. (After both long and short term financial expenses covered )

That is it basically.

7. M'Bob Oct 2, 2020

Top Five:

1) Makes those around me envious and question their occupational choices

2) Attracts women who think I’m wealthy, until they see my car

3) If Rolex, makes Omega guys jealous

4) If Omega, makes Rolex guys think I know something they don’t

5) Can’t over-emphasize one and two enough

MtnMarine, 89-0, Shabbaz and 12 others like this.
  8. Jonathan40 Oct 2, 2020

This is a great post and I think you’ve just about nailed most watch buyers. I would move your 4 higher up the list as looking a pictures or even trying on a model in a shop is not the same as 6 months of ownership. I always have one eye on the exit price just in case.
    Maybe I’m missing certain pieces because of it, but I’m not on rock star wages and books need to be balanced sometimes.
    I’m lucky in that over 10 years ago I accumulated a handful of Rolex sports models that will more than cover my hobby and losses going forward as I enjoy them.

Readiness77 and Scooterino36 like this.
  9. Professor Oct 2, 2020

I prefer light weight and thin, between 33 and 38 mm, with a simple dial and slender hands. The hands should not be too similar, so as to avoid confusion when trying to read the time at a glance. My 80's Bulova has hands that are far too much alike.

Manual watches are often much thinner than automatics, but my Midland with 2453 movement is as thin as most manual watches, same goes for my 68 Seamaster deVille with 550 movement.

This is an example of too busy a dial and hands that are too similar. next pobeda.jpg I still like to wear it now and then, just because it rides the wrist well as do most Pobedas.
    This is just about perfect. s-l1600 (32).jpg

This is almost perfect, the only flaw is that in bright lighting the bright silvery dial makes reading the tiny indices impossible. s-l1600 (7).jpg

Edited Oct 2, 2020
    rhetoric, Spruce and Scooterino36 like this.
  10. Scooterino36 Oct 2, 2020

Yep I have this exact same thought process

I like your style

11. tenge Oct 9, 2020

My criteria:

1) no Rolex
    2) interesting piece
    3) eye catch for me
    4) worth the money
    5) has min 50m wr

Scooterino36 likes this.
  12. SkunkPrince Oct 9, 2020

Is it Omega?

Does it give me something my seven other Omega do not?

Is it a reasonable price?

Otherwise, I have all the watches I need, and some I wish I hadn't bought.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  13. Scooterino36 Oct 9, 2020

Which ones do you regret?

14. kip595 Oct 9, 2020

I mostly agree with the above, but for me fit (not necessarily actual size) is a huge factor. It has to meet certain criteria, and others are desirable, but I'll take a 30m WR Timex that fits me well over anything that looks or feels like a dinner plate on my wrist. It can be pretty, functional, valuable, have been owned by Michael Jordan and come with a strap hand-selected by John Mayer - but if doesn't fit me, and feel like it fits me, it doesn't get a nickel from me (or in these no-try-on times of Covid, well, it gets flipped - otherwise it's just going to collect dust)

Scooterino36 likes this.
  15. SkunkPrince Oct 9, 2020

There were a couple of Kickstarter watches I thought were cool but ended up being a disappointment. The Timex Waterbury is just too darn big though it is alleged to be 42mm. I have a $100 San Marten Tiger Shark that is actually a decent watch but when you have a Seamaster Professional... what's the point?

I still have a gold-filled Hamilton "cld" to photograph and put in the sales forum.

kip595 and Scooterino36 like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 9, 2020

Do I like it...that’s pretty much it...

Zapatta, kkt, amiriqbal and 3 others like this.
  17. pw92676 Oct 9, 2020

This makes too much sense to be on an Internet forum :)

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 9, 2020

Sorry! :)

pittsspecial likes this.
  19. pw92676 Oct 9, 2020

My original comment was said in jest of course.

Your response is how it should be! If everyone thought about his way, watch collecting would be more fun again!

20. SkunkPrince Oct 9, 2020

Or would it be merely accumulating?

For many "collectors" there is a curation involved.