Forums Latest Members

What Non-Watch Brands Are You Intensely Loyal To?

1. redpcar Jan 19, 2020

Haven't needed shave cream since the introduction of the triple blade.

2. JwRosenthal Jan 19, 2020

Can’t forget Alden- we have a store in DC, spent an hour trying on shoes there to get a proper fit- they carry most lasts and B-EE widths in store which was fabulous.

noelekal and Lenny Pepperidge like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Jan 19, 2020

And I bet you buy your bread pre-sliced too! ;)

Pun likes this.
  4. osc Jan 19, 2020

I've actually never had the opportunity to try on Alden - I do love some of their boots. One day...

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 19, 2020

Out, but here is a web pick of a old pair
    D9BBF55B-4A95-4F2E-A51E-2E620377CFF2.jpeg

vitriol likes this.
  6. JwRosenthal Jan 19, 2020

It’s worth it. I was on the hunt for a pair of their shell cordovan wingtips and had read that the Barrie last ran big, so I had assumed my size and was ready to just buy online. I went in for a fitting since the store was walking distance from my office and found my assumption was way off. And their prices in store are the same as anywhere else- worth the experience of getting to try the sizes up & down as well as getting the right width.
    I also wanted a pair of the Indie boots but after trying them on realized that the last they are made on is just not the right fit for my foot- better to learn that trying them on in store. Once again- why I support brick & mortar stores and avoid the temptation of online shopping when possible.

noelekal likes this.
  7. redpcar Jan 19, 2020

flw likes this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 19, 2020

Almost forgot – Berkey water filters. Outstanding, and increasingly valuable depending on where one lives.

9. osc Jan 19, 2020

Ah - Okay. When I in the area of an Alden store, I'll be sure to drop by. On your visit to London while checking out C&J, check out Edward Green too (this is gonna be a slippery slope!).

10. speedydownunder Jan 19, 2020

ASICS
    Braun
    Apple
    De'Longhi coffee machine (daily use for 13 years and it will not die - might try Rancilio if it ever does fail)
    Vegemite
    S and W Mayonnaise
    Rockford Basket Press Shiraz
    Vita-Weats
    Qantas
    Nikka from the Barrell
    Speedo
    McDonalds (sad but true)
    Sony Vaio until they stopped making them
    Bunnings (have to be Australian to understand)
    Mortein (same as above)

11. speedydownunder Jan 19, 2020

And Aerogard

12. Pun Jan 19, 2020

I second your choice. I'm in the same territory. Hermes Équipage is also a great perfume that is difficult to explain but is excellent in notes. A good perfume makes a big impact on your day, I personally believe.

vitriol likes this.
  13. ras47 Jan 19, 2020

Texans93 likes this.
  14. texasmade Jan 19, 2020

John Lobb and Pierre Corthay dress shoes. I’m a bespoke customer of both brands. I’ll probably move to Cifonelli as my bespoke suit maker. I currently have just one suit from them but it’s way better than any other suit I own.

osc likes this.
  15. osc Jan 19, 2020

One of my hopes (goals) ... get a bespoke shoe but I fear that may spoil me for life. Do you only do bespoke shoes going forward now?

16. JwRosenthal Jan 19, 2020

Right there with you- but I went through an exploration of heritage fragrances and enjoy them for their classic and sometimes dated appeal (hate the modern aquatics).
    Eau de Hermès
    Hermès Bel Ami Vetiver
    Dior Eau Savage EDT (yes, Steve McQueen’s fragrance and reminds me of the early 70’s)
    Dior Eau Savage Parfum (much different than the EDT- darker and much more of a winter scent)
    Chanel pour monsieur (what a man of taste smelled like in the 50’s)
    Chanel Antaeus (totally 80’s in the best ways)
    Chanel Egoiste (reminds me of college)
    Penhaligons Saratorial
    Givenchy Monsieur- another 50’s scent and the first cologne I had as a kid (I hunt down vintage bottles of this- the new formula isn’t the same as the old one)
    Aramis- my father’s scent of the 70’s- I wear this every Friday as a reminder of him... and my lady loves this scent.

Pun likes this.
  17. texasmade Jan 19, 2020

I used to buy 2-3 pairs of JL or Corthay shoes every year. I recently moved into bespoke shoes and now I don’t really see myself getting RtW dress shoes anymore.

If I want casual loafers that I’m not afraid of getting scuffed, I don’t get bespoke. I just get normal RTW shoes.

18. osc Jan 19, 2020

So did you A) end up wearing your bespoke shoes more and RTW shoes less; or B) was it because you built up enough RTW shoes that you buy less RTW but still keep them in rotation?

19. etamov Jan 19, 2020

Tabasco
    Teva sandals

Neat post. Discovering some new quality brands.

JwRosenthal and osc like this.
  20. osc Jan 19, 2020

Oh - I forgot to add a major one since it's just part of my every day life now.
    100% Merino Wool Shirts (Short and Long Sleeve). I love Icebreaker. Great for everything from every day wear to workouts to travel; super breathable, comfortable, odor resistant, great wicking properties, and it regulates body temperature very well. And, yes, it is comfortable, since the threads are super fine :thumbsup: