Forums Latest Members

What are you saying to your lady after acquiring new watch?

1. Zdzislaw Dec 3, 2020

Hello there OF ;)
    Obviously some of us own more than 1 watch :D I own 3 modern quartz watches, 1 modern Seiko Automatic, 2 vintage Connies and recently acquired Seamaster. For sure I do not need them all and I would be able to live with only one. I do enjoy very much when I can decide which of them will be honored with my wrist today ;) That being said I find it constantly challenging to share the great news of acquiring yet another great watch with my lady... It is not the case that I am afraid of having to give it back, surely there are some limits. So I decided to share a few solid rationales and golden thoughts with you and seek some wisdom from more experienced hoarders ;)
    1. Honey I bought it because it is beautiful and we need to get some nice things from time to time. We are not living to work, but working to live.
    2. Even though it was not cheap with the current interest rates it is still good investment and if I have to sell it I will get my money back.
    3. I bought it because I wanted to celebrate this moment of our lives and accidentally I have one for you too.

Any advices going forward, if I will find next one soon, that will not only be beautiful and fairly priced, but within the 1-day delivery reach and I would have budget available? ;)

2. RonJ Dec 3, 2020

I tell her "This is the last watch I'm going to buy, honest!".

She's heard that a few times. Still doesn't seem to help her mood any. :)

Flip, Pun, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dgercp Dec 3, 2020

Same thing I say to her for everything else. "Yes dear"

Flip, marco and Zdzislaw like this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 3, 2020

This is an easy one -- I don't share the news. For the most part they really aren't interested, anyway (other then the money aspect). Better to share the news with your watch buddies, as they will likely appreciate it more.

And later when the inevitable question is asked "Is that a new watch?", just reply "I have had this for a while, mumble mumble, surprised you don't remember, mumble mumble." And you will not be lying whatsoever, as at that point you will have had it for at least a couple of days (i.e., 'a while').

5. MtnMarine Dec 3, 2020

I’m pretty upfront with my better half about my upcoming purchases. Mainly because I like to show her pictures (without prices) and ask her opinion on different models. Very interesting feedback sometimes, haha, she has expensive taste..... Then once I make the purchase (the one I was going to by either way) I let her know I bought one, without saying which one. Once the watch arrives, she’ll ask why I didn’t by one of the ones she liked better. And I simply reply, that this one was cheaper and I wanted to save money.... it’s worked so far.

Edited Dec 3, 2020
    64Wing, Flip, pw92676 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Dec 3, 2020

My wife and I were standing in line at the grocery store when @Dan S sent me a message containing a link to a Submariner I had been looking for. When I opened it and smiled, my wife asked what happened. I showed her the images and she responded “Nice! Are you going to get it? Get it!” (She was aware of the price btw).

I have always had expensive hobbies and a somewhat revolving door of stuff coming in and going out. My hobbies solely fund my other hobbies, meaning if I stop using something for x amount of time, I’ll evaluate if I want to sell it or not. If I do, the money I make from it will stay within my hobbies and fund something else I want. She knows this and because of that, I’ve never had to create an elaborate story of why I got something. She just laughs whenever a new package arrives.
    84BBF387-1078-49A9-AD27-E5E47A0CFC7F.jpeg

JwRosenthal, 64Wing, Kmart and 12 others like this.
  7. Dor_42 Dec 3, 2020

She would know about it in advance, I lied to her once (wasn’t watch related) I learned my lesson.

Flip, kkt, Zdzislaw and 1 other person like this.
  8. jmnav Dec 3, 2020

The last two ones have been 34~35mm ones, so I say "Oh, you can use them too!"

Kmart, thelinendial, marco and 4 others like this.
  9. Engee Dec 3, 2020

I say “I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve had this for ages.”

10. CPRwatch Dec 3, 2020

Thank you Love .

kkt and Zdzislaw like this.
  11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 3, 2020

My wife is interested in watches to a certain extent, and needs to wear one while teaching. She mainly wears a Timex I got for her a couple years ago, but she also has a 'fancy' Citizen with a mother of pearl dial she asked me to get for her as a x-mas gift a decade ago. More recently she obtained two old Russian watches that belonged to her grandfather, and she has asked if I can find someone who can get the nicer one working; unfortunately it would have been better if she had her brother run this down over in Russia as I have yet to get a referreal for someone here in the US that will properly service/ repair and not use replacement parts they make themselves from random items laying around on their writing desk (I get it -- the Russian spirit is to find a way to get the task done, even if it is not the 'correct' way).

A few months ago I finally landed a nice UG Italian Railroad that I thought would be perfect for her teaching, as it is very easy to read at a glance and it is not nearly as small as her Timex or Citizen. But she is to worried about damaging it so she has only worn it once or twice.

But all of this is a long-winded way of saying she appreciates watches both old and new, and without realizing it she has amassed a collection of 5 so far, with 2 being quartz and the rest being mechanical or automatic. An she knows enough not to get into pricing on my acquisitions, as she would rather not know. They have never compromised our ability to pay bills or her ability to devote herself to developing a very low-paying but satisfying teaching career over the last 4 years, so everybody is happy. Especially our 7 year old, who already has 3 watches and has put dibs on most of my watches.

Rudi99 and Zdzislaw like this.
  12. Wuza72 Dec 3, 2020

"My dear, i have sold so many watches, i could afford this one :)"

Thrasher36, MtnMarine and Zdzislaw like this.
  13. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 3, 2020

'Thank you' as she is always behind me when it comes to purchases and on occasion actively encourages me ::love::

14. alam Dec 3, 2020

Here's a technique that worked well for me. ;)

Zdzislaw likes this.
  15. Zapatta Dec 3, 2020

I always report 30% less of the price that I paid or tell her that it's a old watch on another strap ::stirthepot::

She loves watches and even knows about MOY, if case has sharp edges and sometimes notices things that I don't. She wears Undone vintage inspired quartz and is pretty happy with it.

UD003-1024x683.jpg
  16. Zdzislaw Dec 3, 2020

I love this one, because it is both honest and pragmatic! ;)

Flip likes this.
  17. asrnj77 Dec 3, 2020

“It’s just a cheap Seiko” ;)

0C39374F-BD99-4DE3-AE5F-B942F4D569A3.jpeg
    BradleyJ., Sidnos, Kmart and 9 others like this.
  18. Wuza72 Dec 3, 2020

... I´m still laughing :)

Flip and Zdzislaw like this.
  19. NGO1 Dec 3, 2020

“Love, I bought YOU something”

DaveK and Zdzislaw like this.
  20. Rudi99 Dec 3, 2020

At first she was a bit worried I was spending too much money on watches, now she is also enthusiastic about it and also likes specially vintage pieces :). Whenever I get a new watch, she is almost as excited about it as I am. I feel lucky to have her! ::love::

Funny, just like @Zapatta 's partner, she is into vintage chronos, specially those made out of gold, so she got herself one of these Undone Quartz chronos too. She also has a Casio tank, and an old handwinding mechanical watch that belonged to her grandmother.

Zapatta, thelinendial and Zdzislaw like this.