Forums Latest Members

Watch Communitys' Opinion on Watch Straps

1. ScubaRawb Mar 10, 2020

To be upfront, the question I am about to ask is because I am a "noob" to luxury/high end watches. I suppose my curiosity on Watch Straps stems because of my knowledge on other hobbies or SOP's when it comes to stock/aftermarket.

So my question is...

"What is the communitys' opinion on third party watch straps."

I ask because often times it is frowned upon when you remove "the original" on something in lieu of "the aftermarket"

I presume for reselling a watch, such as an OMEGA, that it most assuridly helps to have the original band/bracelet that the watch came with. But my question is...is it ever frowned upon or seen as "less authentic" to the watch to wear it with non-stock strap option? What about in the instance of swapping the bracelet on an Omega watch for a nato strap of the same Brand (such as the Omega nato strap) vs. a nato strap from some random company online.

I figure there will be answers that say "the watch is the watch, it's all up to you what strap you wear the watch with." and I am almost positive there are purists out there that feel the bracelet/strap that came stock with the watch is an integral part of the authenticity of the watch and it should never be swapped out unless replaced with the same model due to wear/tear/breakage.

Just want to hear your thoughts...I keep teetering with the idea of getting some fun straps for my watch...but am afraid of breaking some sort of unwritten horologists code...IF it even exists.

2. gostang9 Mar 10, 2020

Foo2rama, marco, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 10, 2020

Have a Speedmaster with probably 15-20 third party straps to swap between. Omega doesn't make as good a strap of at least half of them. ;)

ScubaRawb, Foo2rama and marco like this.
  4. KingCrouchy Mar 11, 2020

I love Aftermarket straps, no problems with them if the quality is good. For every Omega Strap, I have probably around 15 that aren't. I see it as a nice Bonus if a Watch comes on an Omega Strap, but it's not a necessity.

ScubaRawb likes this.
  5. YY77 Mar 11, 2020

After market is so much more preferable to have customized straps fitting the watch more beautifully (Grey Alcantara) or better and cheaper (Velcro €45).

I posted already those straps here

ScubaRawb likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 11, 2020

A strap makes the watch. So there's nothing that enhances the look of a watch like a replacement strap.
    The only instance where I would care is for Hermes watches- because they are more famous for their leather work — and watch straps— than for their watches. But Hermès replacements are fine.
    There’s even a market for those trading second hand.(condition of course is key.)

For people who like vintage watches, watches are very rarely found with their original straps anyhow.

Edited Mar 11, 2020
    ScubaRawb, STANDY, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  7. gostang9 Mar 11, 2020

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 11, 2020

ScubaRawb likes this.
  9. Dan S Mar 11, 2020

Omega makes straps? :D

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 11, 2020

If you like the OEM strap keep it on. If you think you will sell down the road, take it off, keep it in box and reattach at the sale. So many strap options out there, many same or better than OEM. PS ... most houses get their straps from high quality aftermarket strap makers.

ScubaRawb likes this.
  11. KynaSD Mar 13, 2020

Luxury watches generally tend to be a product of excellent engineering and undeniable aesthetic. Personally, I like to keep on the watchbands as they come. Feels a little like honoring the designer's talent and pride.

Having said all that...you do you man!! :thumbsup:

ScubaRawb likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 14, 2020

Good point! I know some Omega straps now come from Atelier Jean Rousseau which happens to be one of my favorite suppliers — does anyone know whether they make all of Omega’s straps?
    The Richemont Group watches— Jaeger LeCoultre, Cartier— have Camille Fournet straps.

Does anyone know who makes straps for Rolex and LVMH brands?

Larry S likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 14, 2020

The more the better!

Don't be afraid to try all kinds of straps too. You'll eventually find the perfect one - which means it's time to start looking again.

ScubaRawb likes this.
  14. Professor Mar 14, 2020

Seems to me if one is concerned about the future tading value of a watch it would be best to put a new strap on it and leave the original bracelet or strap in un-used condition. If you sell or trade the watch put the OEM band back on it. If you decide you'll never sell the watch sell the OEM bracelet for a high price to someone who really cares about it.

Larry S and ScubaRawb like this.