Forums Latest Members

Best springbar tool for straps /bracelets?

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 6, 2018

Greetings everyone,

there's a good thread in one of the sub forums on best tool for spring bar installation and removal, but most seem to recommend Bergeon 6767F (fine point) largely based on needs for modern Omega bracelets.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/which-proper-spring-bar-tool.60517/

But I'm looking for the best tool for leather straps on vintage watches.
    Does anyone else agree with @Tet that Bergeon 6767S (standard) works better for leather straps?
    Mods, perhaps this deserves to be a sticky thread?
    Thanks to all,
    S

Deafboy likes this.
  2. dialstatic May 6, 2018

The Bergeon 6111 with spatula tip works well for leather in my experience. The other end (fork) is small enough for modern Omega bracelets, and it reverses for drilled lugs, watch links and whatnot. Have not used a ton of alternatives, so interested in learning what others think.

D930EE9E-0055-4D2C-AE22-A5FD535BF04B.jpeg

Edited May 6, 2018
  3. ConElPueblo May 6, 2018

On my Bergeon the tips can be screwed off and on. Why not get several tips?

watchos, Darlinboy, gostang9 and 2 others like this.
  4. dialstatic May 6, 2018

That’s the best tip ;)

gostang9 and Syrte like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 6, 2018

Thanks @ConElPueblo, the answer is, I'm trying to avoid clutter and very reluctant to have to keep track of bits and pieces I do not need.
    Hard enough to keep track of those I already have, and my closet is running out of room for little boxes.

Also the shape of that curved spatula below which is not avail for the 6767 seems interesting for leverage on a leather strap... I'd be curious if others have tried it.

UPDATE//add:
    Just for everyone's benefit, sharing more info I have found....

One user review on Amazon comparing both tools gave mixed ratings to 6111. (he seems to agree with @ConElPueblo on buying two tips ;)).

I like that spatula shape on 6111 and the leverage it might provide, but the crease on the 6767S might be more finely cut, offering perhaps better grip. Posting other images for comparison:

6111 tip:

[​IMG]

6767S

[​IMG]

Edited May 6, 2018
    frazierspa likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! May 6, 2018

I can’t get on with the S tip, it’s too fat to get between the leather and lug and in my hands doesn’t engage with the bar groove (if there is one) as well as the slimmer F tip. One thing I would say though is that if using the F the chance of gouging a lug are higher as it has very sharp points. I tape up lugs when I remember, or scratch lugs occasionally when I don’t.

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 6, 2018

Same problem with my existing tool, which I now believe was a cheap chinese Bergeon imitation.... now that it’s broken, I use a combination of twisted paper clips and kitchen paring knife for drilled lugs.
    But when the lugs are not drilled, I’m afraid of a slippage injury using the knife (including and not least to myself). Right now I just bring it to my watchmaker.

8. Vitezi May 6, 2018

I too have one of those cheap imitations. These often come with extra tips. It has held up for me so far, but I don't change straps all that often. I use the flat spatula tips for changing out leather bands.
    [​IMG]

davz45 and Syrte like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 6, 2018

That's interesting because the way the tip is machined in the central space between the fork seem to be what's critical to get a good grip.
    And this particular one seems interesting, even compared to the Bergeon equivalent.
    Of course for someone who's fickle with straps it makes a difference!
    Is this your exact brand and could you post a close up picture?
    Thanks so much :)

Someone in one of the 2000 Amazon reviews says the spatula on this one is too blunt for prying off the bar, but that they use the finer tip for that purpose, and use the spatula to control the spring bar when they fit it back onto the watch. Thought that was interesting.

Edited May 6, 2018
    Deafboy likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2018

I use the 6111 every day, and the spatula end allows me to get a strap off in about a second, and on maybe 2 seconds. I would not bother with anything else personally.

You always use the tip of the tool to control the spring bar when putting a strap or bracelet back on. And if you can use the spatula to compress and hold the spring bar during installation, there's no reason you can't do the same when removing it. Sort of puzzles me why people say they can't get it between the lug and strap, but my guess is that people are being too cautious and are afraid to damage the strap. In my view the fine end is far more likely to damage a strap than the spatula end is...

If you get a 6111, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Cheers, Al

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 6, 2018

Thanks a lot Al, that’s all I needed to push me to the 6111.
    Sounds like it’s is designed better than other tools and I will report on how I manage with it.

Ritzwatch and frazierspa like this.