Forums Latest Members
  1. trimetrov Apr 29, 2020

Hi folks,

Long time lurker...I very much appreciate the wealth of knowledge from this and the sister forums that have helped me make informed decisions in the past.

I'm having a hard time finding good reference material for the 'Technic' dial Seamasters. Some of the 'reference' photos I've seen do not look like authentic pieces themselves.

Here is the piece I'm looking at (probably will recognize from a popular resale site). Seller disclosed that the crystal is not original. Crown is Omega, but I can't tell if it belongs to the watch. Same with the case. May be attributed to photo angles. Thank you ALL for your help in advance!

600_front.JPG 600_quarter.JPG 600_rear.JPG

2. Annapolis Apr 29, 2020

Maybe some useful reference in a previous thread I started:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/dirty-dozen-and-135-011-do-these-look-right-to-you.109771/

Your proposed watch looks pretty good to me, and I believe the crown is indeed original, though others with more expertise will probably weigh in. I ended up buying the one I posted about and am very happy with how it looks in person---really a gorgeous watch. You're probably aware already, but just so you're not surprised, these aren't big pieces by the standards of today's gaudy megawatches: the crown will be very tiny indeed and can be, as a result, a little tricky to wind if you have big hands.

What's the asking price?---folks will probably want to weigh in on that. And if yo have pics of the movement too, that always helps. I definitely overpaid for mine and even though it was said to have been serviced, it was running quite fast (even after magnetism was ruled out/fixed) so is now in watchmaker limbo.

3. Annapolis Apr 29, 2020

4. trimetrov Apr 29, 2020

Thanks for the reply. The asking price is way too high (~$2400!!) but I'm hoping to gain some education on what to look for on these references. I have two Constellations - a 1968 and a 1969 - and while the case sizes for me is perfect, the crowns are a PITA.

I did browse through the thread you linked and was glad to see reference to Corr Vintage Watches. They seem to turn over a LOT of 135.011 Technic dials, and I have no idea if any are repainted or relumed. Here is a piece they have for sale now, at a much more reasonable price (still $1300) than my initial post. I requested photos of caseback and movement as none were given in the listing.
    corr_scaled.jpeg

Edited Apr 29, 2020
  5. Annapolis Apr 29, 2020

Yes, Corr is who I purchased from---re: that, here are the other two relevant threads concerning that particular watch:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/your-help-again-running-fast.110320/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-seamaster-600-saga.110468/

To Corr's credit, he offered to take it back and examine and re-service, but by then I was worried about the impending global crisis AND the watch was already out of my hands at the OB where I took it to be looked at. (There it remains, locked away in a shuttered shopping mall indefinitely.)

I don't know how he gets his hands on so many of these pieces, but they do appear to be authentic and generally untampered-with. I found him very pleasant to deal with, both over email (he was a little slow to reply but he was also undertaking a house-move at the time) and over the phone. And international shipping was relatively fast. I don't know what to make of the issues my watch was having: I don't feel totally comfortable putting that on him.

I would reiterate, though, that the ~$1400 price I paid---especially for a watch that will now require an additional $450 service!---was far too high for what I was then told and have since witnessed is a reference people can acquire for $6-800. $2400 is just insanity, imo! Patience may pay off.

That said, I'm infatuated with this watch and won't regret the cost I've paid once I have it on my wrist keeping acceptable time.