Forums Latest Members
  1. Annapolis Feb 28, 2020

The Seamaster 600 135.011 with the black technical dial arrived today. It looks beautiful to me, but I've got a window for returning it and I'm eager to have your keen eyes point out anything fishy/problematic that I'd miss. Also just happy to show it off! The pictures (especially mine) don't do it anything like justice.

The serial number dates it to 1965, which is how it was advertised.

Seamaster1.jpg Seamaster2.jpg Seamaster3.jpg Seamaster4.jpg Seamaster5.jpg
    ConElPueblo, dalen26 and Dan S like this.
  2. AllHerMovements Feb 28, 2020

I don’t know enough to be able to comment on authenticity but it’s a cracking looking watch. Congratulations!

3. Dan S Feb 28, 2020

Very nice example all around. Clean and sharp. When you see those nice flat "feet" on the bottom of the lugs, it really suggests that nobody has tampered with the case. The red accents on the dial are great, and I see you've tied it in to the stitching on the strap.

4. OMEGuy Feb 28, 2020

Well done! :)

5. Annapolis Feb 28, 2020

Thanks all! And yes, while I like the NATO strap it came with (and will hang onto it), I prefer this black leather one with red stitching: seems to fit the watch (and my taste) better.

OMEGuy likes this.
  6. Annapolis Mar 1, 2020

This is a TOTAL newbie question---please bear with me---but I've always heard that Swiss movements don't "tick." I'm guessing that's probably true of newer watches, but this one, from 1965, does tick as the second hand moves along. Is that as it should be?

I'm guessing a lot of the advice on the internet re: discerning authenticity are too general to be helpful. Stuff like "the Omega emblem should be a separate piece, not painted"---this one, with the technical dial, is supposed to feature the red painted emblem.

Lots to learn!

7. Annapolis Mar 1, 2020

Is this simply a matter of it being a mechanical watch?

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 1, 2020

Not true at all. Hell, some quartz watches tick.
    Painted or applied emblem, depends on the reference and year. Examples: some Speedmasters have applied emblems and some painted.

9. Dan S Mar 1, 2020

I think this is intended to distinguish between mechanical and quartz watches. For the latter, the seconds hand usually moves once per second, while for mechanical watches the seconds hand moves more smoothly. However, unless it is a high-beat movement, you can usually see the intermittent motion if you watch closely.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 1, 2020

Except some quartz tick. Obviously not the same sound as a mechanical, but a tick, just the same.

11. Dan S Mar 1, 2020

Oh, I was actually interpreting the question as describing the intermittent motion of the seconds hand, but perhaps you're right that the OP was referring to the actual sound.

12. Annapolis Mar 1, 2020

Yeah, I meant the sound---should have been clearer about that.

Thanks, guys---I appreciate the quick replies. I think I'm content with the authenticity of this watch. This was a lot of coin for me and I feel myself falling in love with this thing---I think I'm just trying too hard to put my mind at ease before getting overly involved. :)

I even toyed with an EOA from Omega, but that feels like it'd be overkill, and of course wouldn't prove anything if some bum ripped off a legit serial #.

13. Dan S Mar 1, 2020

In that case, I don't know where the idea came from. Most mechanical watches have a discernible ticking sound IMO. And some are extremely loud, Swiss or not.

14. Annapolis Mar 1, 2020

It's various (probably clickbaity) websites that claim one way to spot a fake luxury watch (Rolex and Omega specifically mentioned) is if it ticks---if so, it's a fake.

My BS detector went off immediately when I read that, which is why I posted here. I should probably be embarrassed to have even asked, but, again, lots to learn.

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 1, 2020

I think those sites are referring to what @Dan S was mentioning. A lot of fake Rolex and Omegas had quartz movements so the second hand didn't move nearly as smoothly as a real mechanical.

Dan S likes this.