Forums Latest Members

information about vintage omega seamaster models in general

1. jeppe888 Apr 28, 2021

Hi
    i am a new watch enthusiast i would really like to know more about omega vintage watches especially seamaster models in general.
    I would like to know if you guys have any good recommendation for good places to find information
    for instance - books, podcast etc..
    I hope its the right place i have posted this, if not feel free to correct me.

2. Vitezi Apr 28, 2021

3. jeppe888 Apr 28, 2021

4. Wlcutter Apr 28, 2021

Welcome @jeppe888

The links above are certainly great; I'd say, as someone fairly enamored of some Seamasters, that it's a *huge* field, and the variety is daunting. If there's some specific sort of Seamaster you're interested in (even just in the broadest sense: sport or dress?), that narrows things down a lot. In my own experience, there's quite a bit out there about sport Seamasters; the dress Seamasters are so numerous and there are so many versions that, at least from what I've seen, there's no one-stop-shop that offers all the info you'll be after.

jeppe888 likes this.
  5. jeppe888 Apr 28, 2021

i think its mostly dress seamaster i like.
    And i am just trying to understand a bit more about the watches
    As you mention its a very broad area and its difficult to figure out where to start and stop, haha
    but especially the seamaster in 50´s 60´s and 70´s looks great in my opinion

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 28, 2021

If you’re after Seamaster dress watches I would narrow it to the 60s ideally as they have a good balance of availability, water resistance (relative to 50s), originality and durability yet are still affordable.

The two I would look more closely at are front loading Seamaster / Seamaster DeVille models with Calibre 550/552/562/564, and also the Seamaster “sparkle” in Calibre 564, 751 & 752

They’re all good movements and good secure cases with higher than average odds of getting an original dial.

Spruce likes this.
  7. jeppe888 Apr 28, 2021

i think its a great idea, i actually just purchased a seamster "sparkle" a couple a days ago so its probably a good place to start
    thank for the help

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 28, 2021

Excellent yea they’re among the very best starting Seamasters and should serve you very well once serviced

9. Wlcutter Apr 28, 2021

Agreed on narrowing; I personally avoid the front-loaders, but that's just taste.

I'd strongly urge you @jeppe888 to just peruse threads here; the scholarship is astonishing. But @dsio is absolutely 100% right: pick what you're after and dig in. It'll take a good while.

Spruce likes this.