Forums Latest Members
  1. YYTIN Sep 18, 2020

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to know if you have some good reading advice for me ? (It is supposed to be better than blue light before going to sleep :)

Having started my interest in watches with an history only recently, 2 years ago, I've first browsed on the internet for hours and ended up in nice blogs that you all know for sure. Getting from one article to another. Looking for some about watches that caught my interest and ended up buying some nice watches in my budget range (A constellation, a croton CASD, a KS 52 special and now waiting for a El primero C-case).

Regarding the CASD, I was considering reading the "chronomaster only" book. Have you looked at it ?

Is there some Watch bible you recommend to read ? For history, for fun or for a specific brand or model ?

Let's share !

Thanks

2. slwoodster Sep 18, 2020

This one is not a bible but probably the most popular watch book in the last few years. Doesn't go in depth on mechanics, just personal stories. There's a healthy range of watches. That cover watch shown is not the $17m paul newman but it is one of the ones he owned.

[​IMG]

kcgunner, Pun and wristpirate like this.
  3. YYTIN Sep 18, 2020

Thanks slwoodster !
    & it's even available and at decent price : good for me :thumbsup:! I'll definitely have a look

4. Marsimaxam Sep 18, 2020

For fun.. I can't beat "A Man and His Watch"
    For history..."The Watch Book"
    For brands or specific model ..."Moonwatch Only" Omega Speedmaster
    "Patek Philippe: The Authorized Biography"
    "Vintage Rolex Sports Models"
    "Omega: A Journey Through Time"
    "Rolex: The Impossible Collection"
    Some of these are expensive...
    01-Rolex-Assouline-1024x664.jpg 9780578524801-us.jpg The-Watch-Book-Lifestyle-416x504.jpg s-l500.jpg 9782970056225-us.jpg 51HlgTibamL._SX450_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The_Walrus, Dash1 and Hans the Wolf like this.
  5. pw92676 Sep 18, 2020

Agree. This is a great coffee table book. I have seen folks who have zero interest in watches pick this up and become glued. Very nice gift that would appease the watch enthusiast and also to kindle the fire in a budding watch enthusiast.

Readiness77 and kip595 like this.
  6. YYTIN Sep 19, 2020

Hi ! Thanks for those additional ideas !
    My own wishlist is growing thanks to you :"A man & his watch" "Omega: A Journey Through Time" and "The Watch Book"

Do you know a book about the men behind the creation of the legends ? A book that would also talk about Gerald Genta, Taro Tanaka, Jack Heuer... and help me discover others ?
    I wish such (a) book(s) exist :)

Thanks again for sharing your passions/madness :)

7. YYTIN Sep 19, 2020

Arghhh many books are sold out ! I guess I will have to hunt them down like a white whale ! This watch thing is a sport in itself :rolleyes:

8. Marsimaxam Sep 19, 2020

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 19, 2020

I was just about to do a post on this.

My Darlin' bought me a copy for my Birthday, and while not overly technical, it's got a good range of watches and stories to go with them.
    Haven't got into it in depth, but I think I will enjoy it.

Other watch books?

Too many to mention.

They range from (at the top of my list) the stupendous reference work focused on the Omega 30 Caliber Chronometers authored by Erich Lexer (our very own @mac_omega), with AJTT, MWO, etc, all the way down to generic coffee table books on watches.

10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 19, 2020

11. YYTIN Sep 19, 2020

Thanks SpeedyPhill : Yes a few more to add to the list.
    Thanks Marsimaxam : I got those except that the The Watch Book is not available for delivery in France (Here you are, I'm French:) and the one available in Amazon is at the nice price of 168euros :eek: (vs 45usd)

There are a lot of books about the speedy and Rolex in general. I was trying to extend my search to other references...
    But again Thank You : I have 3/4 books to search, buy and read now. I should be of for a little while :)

Have a good weekend !

12. riimar Sep 20, 2020

I can also recommend "the watch book compendium"
    This one covers a lot of different brands, history, pictures. Its also nearly 500 pages, so you're not done in one day.

"A man and his watch" is also good book to read, not very brand related or anything technical.
    Just different people telling the story of a timepiece in their collection, with a unique history attached to it.

If still available in your place, i would get the omega bible. I've asked where i live but not possible.
    Even though I read some people on the forum say it still available some places.

13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 20, 2020

“The Grand Complication”

the story of the “arms” race between Graves and Packard that led to the making of the Patek Grand Complication.

a great story of two wealthy watch nuts who never met but were constantly trying to outdo each other by having the finest watch in the world.

wristpirate likes this.
  14. YYTIN Sep 20, 2020

Thanks @riimar & @Fritz !
    I've ordered "A man and his watch", as well as "the watch book compendium".
    Just to be sure what you call omega bible is "Omega a journey through time" ? This one I could not find it yet.

I'm not there yet in Patek and Grand Complication... though it could come sooner than later at the pace my interest grows (faster than my budget) ;).

riimar likes this.
  15. riimar Sep 20, 2020

Yes, thats right. They sold them through omega AD for a short period of time. Pictured in top off the thread.
    Send an email to all the ad's in your location and fingers crossed.

You can also find them on ebay/amazon for a hefty price tag..

16. YYTIN Sep 20, 2020

After digging into the net : I finally found a Swiss webshop having it all : watchprint.com !! And they have them in French too !

Thanks Everyone for all the advices !

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 21, 2020

@YYTIN
    Top tip: Don't forget to take a look at those self-published books & articles... and even at auction catalogues and exhibition publications !
    ::book::

D_moonwatchUniverse.jpg C_moonwatchUniverse.jpg E_moonwatchUniverse.jpg
    Zapatta likes this.
  18. YYTIN Sep 21, 2020

Thanks for the tip... I guess I will do those searches for watches I already have !

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  19. YYTIN Sep 29, 2020

Thanks for the tips : Got it, Read it, Liked it.
    Like a good cocktail / appetizer !
    ` IMG_0109.jpg

Thanks again for sharing/recommending
    Will get some new ones coming soon (that will take a little bit more of reading) :
    - Men's Watch from Herve Borne
    - Wristwatches from Brunner & Gisbert

Once those will be read & if I'm still thirsty, I'll go looking for :
    - 50 watches that made History by Parvulesco (not sure this is great, I've seen some recommendations on this one)
    - La montre: principes et méthodes de fabrication by George Daniels (but maybe too technical for me, I'll see)
    - Seamaster to Seamaster (as I'm getting one soon)
    - Chronomaster Only (as I got one already)

And will look about the self publication & exhibitions catalog as suggested.

20. wouter van wijk Sep 29, 2020

Like to add 20 books to this list bit in random order. Some I have in my own library and some are still on my must buy list.

And don't forget old watch year books.
    1. Theory of Horology (Through Horlogerie Suisse), by Ch.-A. Reymondin, G. Monnier, D. Jeanneret and U. Pelaratti http://www.misterchrono.com/en/commande advised by a watchmaker as an easier to read substitute for Daniels
    2. George Daniels Art of Breguet
    3. George Daniels Watchmaking
    4. Kirim military watches German and British
    5. Flightmaster Only
    6. 30 mm Chronometer by Erich Lexer You can get in touch with Erich if you want to order his book via his Instagram.
    7. Patek Philippe steel watches
    8. JLC ZAf Basha
    9. The Watch, Thoroughly Revised
    10. The Cartiers
    11. Universal Geneve Sala http://www.librouniversal.it/acquista_-_buy_now.html
    12. https://www.blurb.com/b/9691684-marine-nationale
    13. M stanga Audemars Piquet Royal Oak
    14. Fifty Fathoms, The Dive and Watch History 1953-2013
    15. Breguet, Watchmakers since 1775
    16. Cartier Gordon
    17. Zenith Rossler
    18. PATEK PHILIPPE WATCHES (Catalog of the Patek Philippe Museum) https://www.patek.com/en/company/library/patek-philippe-watches
    19. Audemars Piquet 20th century Complicated wristwatches
    20. Mondani for Rolex