Forums Latest Members

I sent a vintage Speedmaster to Omega for a service... an UPDATED update tracking number and WATCH!

1. VjaceCZ Aug 7, 2020

I feel a bit empty considering this story finished. I was getting back to this thread regularly, again and again surprised with Omega behavior. Reading your post with pictures of the watch itself is like watching the last TV show episode from the last season :)

I mean I’m happy for you it turned out in the good way at the end. Enjoy the watch!

shiloh_101 likes this.
  2. ChiefMark Aug 7, 2020

The watch looks great! I'm a horrible judge though, because I'm one of THOSE GUYS who hears about "patina" and notices that most (but not all) of the time it really means "damage." Very glad you got it back. That's quite a bag of parts!

JwRosenthal and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  3. stevec14 Aug 7, 2020

I know - looks terrific.

4. TechFounder Aug 7, 2020

Looks like you got a brand new 321 for a fraction of the cost....

apsm100 likes this.
  5. gbesq Aug 7, 2020

It took a ridiculous amount of time from start to finish and I’m not impressed with the way that Omega handled this, but in the end they came through and did a very nice job on your watch. Glad that you finally have it back.

6. abrod520 Aug 7, 2020

I think those new AML service dials with long indices and a slight step are actually quite great :thumbsup: Be awesome to be able to fit one to a standard 1861 Moonwatch....

Eve likes this.
  7. OmeGez Aug 7, 2020

Can you recap for us, incase I’ve missed bits.

Was there an extra charge over their standard service fee?

I do love that Omega send all the parts back with the watch - it really makes it that more special.

8. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 7, 2020

Don't make him emotionally relive this... Just reread it on your own ;)

OmeGez, ChiefMark, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  9. Eve Aug 7, 2020

I have never seen a service dial with a step. Thats pretty cool!

10. WYO_Watch Aug 7, 2020

If it makes you feel better this was just chapter one for the watch. I bought it as a project watch and it is now safely through the service stage. We’re not quite out of the woods yet - I’ve got some work to do to turn this back into my vintage Ed White.
    Then maybe I’ll even get to wear it!?! How novel ::psy::

DaveK likes this.
  11. TechFounder Aug 7, 2020

Or, you could just enjoy it the way it is...

OmeGez likes this.
  12. WYO_Watch Aug 7, 2020

Yeah - you are free to read it :thumbsup: It’s not really that great if a story haha. I initially posted to hear about other people’s experiences with service updates and/or delays. Then it seems like my watch made a trip through the Twilight Zone.

You’d have to have someone with more experience with Omega to be able to answer your question about extra costs. My limited understanding is that they do charge you for dials and cases in addition to the base service price.

Before my initial post I was called by an Omega rep who told me the replacement dial was going to be “free of charge” because of the delay I had already experienced back in 2019. That makes me think they usually charge for it, which also makes a lot of sense.

OmeGez likes this.
  13. gbesq Aug 7, 2020

Good thing that Omega returns the parts that they replace. Not all manufacturers — ahem, ROLEX, I’m talking about you — do that.

OmeGez likes this.
  14. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 7, 2020

I know I am being a bit thick here but it looks like you sent them a Franken Ed White and got back a mostly rebuilt Pro. Did they give you the option of which case to use here or was it based on the movement serial number? The end product is very nice. Is that actually a replacement step dial or in fact one of the flatter plane change ones they have used for the past 30 years?

This can't have been cheap, can you share a rough idea what it cost? Dials aren't mega bucks, but case parts can be,

OmeGez likes this.
  15. WYO_Watch Aug 7, 2020

@padders you’re not being thick at all. That’s essentially what resulted even though that was not my plan or ask. The caseback and flat chronohand were definitely not for an Ed White but the serial, case, and dial were.

All indications from Omega were that they based the entire service off of the caseback. Which again, I completely acknowledge is/was not an Ed White caseback. It’s what was on the watch when I bought it and I send it in this way.

Consequently, Omega performed the movement service (big bag of parts) and recased it in the assymetrical case to match the caseback. Ironically they used a new service caseback when they sent it back.

OmeGez and padders like this.
  16. WYO_Watch Aug 7, 2020

As far as the dial is concerned - I don’t have anything to compare it to unfortunately. Here are a couple more photos of it in different light. It’s definitely stepped and I think looks great :thumbsup:

226CCBAE-AC43-4612-BB11-E3160494C276.jpeg BCB32919-1369-43EA-B590-10E26594B65A.jpeg

Caliber561 and Eve like this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 7, 2020

That is a step alright! It is the first example I have seen, well since the early 1970s of Omega fitting a step service dial. Congrats.

Edited Aug 7, 2020
  18. Eve Aug 7, 2020

Thank you for detail fotos! a very nice step indeed! :thumbsup:

WYO_Watch likes this.
  19. Eve Aug 7, 2020

maybe it took so long, as they were building the custom made dial for your watch :D

sonicosa likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2020

Glad you have it back. Do you have any "before" shots of the movement? The balance cock they stuck in the bag doesn't even appear to be the proper colour of plating...very odd.

WYO_Watch likes this.