Forums Latest Members

*UPDATE* And you ask why sending a watch to Omega for service is a problem?

1. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 3, 2015

Like an idiot, I sent my 145.006 Seamaster to Omega for service. It has a 321 and I was nervous about having it serviced. Anyway, here's what I sent.
    4c3bdf84-76db-4381-a141-d2783d15e82e_zpse9newxzh.jpg
    Here's what I got back
    After Omega Service.jpg

Can you spot the difference? Fortunately, I have the original hands and will replace them but damn, if Omega is going to "restore" a watch, how about trying to replace the hands with something close? I'm glad I told them not to touch the friggin' dial.

littlesheep81 and Etp095 like this.
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 3, 2015

Case edges also look softer and pushers look too big.

lindo, Buckeyes#1 and cfw like this.
  3. Skv Dec 4, 2015

Wouldn't be happy with that either. Hands on the subdials are just too long and off.

4. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 4, 2015

Isn't it comforting to know that as of the end of this month the SWATCH group will completely close off the supply of parts to independent watchmakers like me so - that they can excercise their version of "Quality Control"...

Of course there are still independents with Swatch parts accounts, but according to a friend who is one of these individuals, it's only a matter of time before that door is also shut. The writing is clearly on the wall.

What an embarassement, if an independent watchmaker did this to a customer's watch, they would soon have no customers left.

www.roberthoran.eu

5. alam Dec 4, 2015

Omega applied the wrong color shade on the minute hand....

image.jpeg
    OMGRLX likes this.
  6. Skv Dec 4, 2015

Guess the spare parts are going to sell for Rolex prices anytime soon.

7. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 4, 2015

Why would they replace the subdial hands in the first place (other than for making $ reasons)?

blubarb likes this.
  8. Geo! Dec 4, 2015

Oh I feel for you, I'd be sooooooo pissed off if it was mine. The hands and pushers are bad, it's the so called re-finishing of the case that appals me the most. :(

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  9. ryanbk Dec 4, 2015

I feel your pain! Do you also have the original pushers still? Also, why would they even change the hands as they look really nice to me in the first place?

10. tomo Dec 4, 2015

This is a shame. Still a beautiful watch but what a bummer. They should refund you and help you restore it or find another.

11. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 4, 2015

How about already...

I recently overhauled a Speedy with extensive water damage, the bottom balance staff pivot was rusted away and I needed a new balance staff.

The new staff cost 56 Pounds or about $100, highway robbery, not so long ago a staff was a few dollars, they can make staff's on today's machines by the thousands per hour...talk about a mark up...

The cost of the balance complete is $1000!

Some replacement screws are $50 - EACH.

12. webvan Dec 4, 2015

Who serviced it exactly ? Not Bienne or STS it seems as a service over there would include a case lapping not a quicky circular brushing (instead of radial)...

Spacefruit and flame like this.
  13. Tjmmartin Dec 4, 2015

I posted a thread a year or two ago regarding return of parts from Omega. Inherited my first vintage watch about 4 years ago. Sent to Omega for service and said yes to changing dial and hands....before I knew better. Realised my mistake 18 months later. Contacted Omega and got my original dial and hands back 2 years later! I would love to know what's in Omegas draws!!!

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 4, 2015

I was told it went to Bienne.

15. flame Speedmaster Neil Dec 4, 2015

Hi

Sorry , I just cannot believe that....query it again !

Best - Neil

SpikiSpikester, Spacefruit and Geo! like this.
  16. Traveler Dec 4, 2015

I was going to take my SM300 to Omega - they told me that replacing the hands is automatic and obligatory with a service - they did not have a good answer as to why, and they have zero flexibility on that .... I told them to Foxtrot Oscar....

17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 4, 2015

Thanks for the information. It's going back to my local Omega Boutique, today, with before photos to show how badly they mucked it up. If it didn't go to Bienne, I'd sure as hell like to know where it went. If it did, be warned that the quality of their work has, apparently, dropped tremendously.

18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 4, 2015

The hands aren't that big a deal, as long as I have the original, because I can replace them. Same with the pushers. The case is really the problem, the more I look at it.

19. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 4, 2015

That's a shame! I heard one of the reasons they change the Hands is that if they Service the movement they remove the hands with quite some force applied and the tube wich connect the hands to the movement can bend or break and therefore the original hands can only be reapplied one or maybe two times before These tubes become too worn out. I can't realy confirm this. Anyone know if this explenation makes any sense?

20. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 4, 2015

In my experience hand pipes do not wear out, they may stretch slightly over many years, but that is not very common. I work on watches 100 and sometimes 200 years old, these watches have been serviced many times and the hands are just fine.

Once in a while you will get a slightly loose hand, and it's a simple job to tighten the hand pipe and restore the friction fit.

On a chrono for example, the centre seconds hand pipe can become loose and allow the hand to slip during flyback, again, a simple job to tighten the pipe.

And in the worse case where the center seconds pipe fails and cracks, it's a simple job to make a new pipe, remove the old one, and re-rivet a new one in it's place, keeping the watch as original as possible.

www.roberthoran.eu