Forums Latest Members

Help identify and recommend service options for a 1950's Omega

1. zrleopold Aug 19, 2016

Hello OF community. I am relatively new around here and definitely on the younger end of the users here. While helping my grandfather figure out how to use his new iPhone, he mentioned that his watch also stopped working. Knowing my interest in watches, he threw it my way to see if I could get it fixed. However I have run into a couple issues.

First, I can't really figure out exactly what it is. My first intuition is that it is part of the early Seamaster line, but I cant find anything exactly like it on the Omega Vintage Database. He said he purchased it in 1953, but I don't know how much I trust that date (he is 91). He is the only owner. I don't have a case back opener, but can tell it is a bumper movement.

In terms of service history, he says that it may have been "repaired" years ago. If it has it was probably decades ago...so it needs to be serviced.

I stopped by the Omega boutique near me and while they could not identify the reference, they mentioned that service cost would be about $1100 not including replacement parts, which they identified as hands and crystal along with refurbishing the dial. However, I don't want any of that done. If possible, I would just like the movement serviced and that's pretty much it.

I would like to keep everything as original as possible. I suspect it has a replacement crown and maybe case back. Hopefully the experts will be able to chime in. I live in Northern New Jersey and attend college in St. Louis, so if anyone has any recommendation as to where I could get it served near either of those places that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you OF for the space. Any information/advice is greatly appreciated.

IMG_2864.JPG IMG_2863.JPG IMG_2862.JPG
  2. novina Aug 19, 2016

First off I haver to give some bad news. The watch has been redialed at some point in its life. So the only way to tell what it exactly was, is to open the watch and provide the information on the inside case back and on the movement. Inside case back will have the Omega triangle symbol and the case reference number. On the movement is a long number, serial number and a short number, caliber(movement) number below an Omega symbol. I would look for a qualified local watchmaker, not a jeweler mind you. And never intrust a watch like this to Omega. Trust me you can find plenty of threads about that here.

Don't worry too much about the redial. What this means is that it has been repainted at some time due to some kind of damage. It was common back than. Also depending on the age of the watch, case back could be original. Only way to find it is to open it. I'm sure others will chime in shortly and give you some place to have it looked at.

3. zrleopold Aug 19, 2016

Right after I made this post I stumbled across this reference DW 2864 on Omega's vintage database. I think you make be right. It seems to tick all the boxes aside from the lettering/numerals. Well that's disappointing :(

I'll see if I can get Omega or something to open it to see if it is original inside.

image.jpeg
  4. novina Aug 20, 2016

Just make sure you go to a watch maker. Not a jeweler. Big difference there. And don't be disappointed. It is after all a link to your grand farther. Repainting dials was common. No one thought about the collector value as a watch is/was just a tool. Have it serviced, put a new strap on it and you always will remember where it came from.

5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Aug 20, 2016

If the current dial turns you off, you can have it redialed (a thought which goes against the grain of most members on this forum;)). Some of these look very nice. Look at the picture below, which came from an ebay auctionPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.

omegaelegant.jpg

Mouse_at_Large likes this.