Forums Latest Members

how to open a snap off caseback that is stuck tight

1. jjen Jun 7, 2024

Anyone have any tips? I've tried case knives, razor blades, a Japanese pry tool, no luck. I think the last owner snapped the caseback back on so that the place where you insert the knife is oriented onto the crown and pusher side (it's a vintage chronograph) and I don't want to damage the crown or pushers, so I'm a bit stuck. I guess I could take it to my watchmaker but where's the fun in that?

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 7, 2024

A couple photos might help.

3. sheepdoll Jun 7, 2024

Sometimes you have to take it to a watchmaker, even if you can work on them yourselves. People who do this everyday have the tools and experence for some of these cases. (No pun intended.) I suspect Watchmakers even have watchmakers to help them from time to time.

I once had a watch I could not open. I even tried the 'jaws of death' which is the 4 bladed tool used on rolex bezels or something. I found that the back was actually threaded on. Only a suction cup could open it.

Other cases can only open from the crystal. These need compressed air in the crown to open. There are many ways to case a watch ...

Spruce likes this.
  4. trash_gordon Jun 8, 2024

Mostly a piece of cloth helps. Just hold the knife to an edge of case back the wrap some cloth around and press on the knife.

jjen likes this.