Forums Latest Members

Help needed: Talk me out of buying yet another Speedy Pro!!

1. MTROIS Jun 9, 2021

Given the collections we see around here on OF, I surely don’t consider myself a collector of Speedy, yet my lineup is quite Speedy-heavy already (to say the least): 2998-4, Tintin, ST1, Moonshine 50th, Apollo 11 50th, Speedy Pro hesalite… and even a X-33 Gen 2, although this one is quite different from the regular Speedy Pro.

So, as you can see, I only have one regular Speedy Pro, and since I inherited that one, with all its battle scars... I now suddenly find myself debating whether I should add another one in the stable to make it MINE. ::screwloose:: :whipped:

Having seen the recent posts on the 3861 movement challenges, and (likely) having some FOMO, I am thinking of adding the sapphire sandwich on croc strap. THAT would qualify as my dress watch (always find a way to justify a purchase, don’t we??) and would allow me to secure a new unit of the now discontinued, but beautiful and robust, cal. 1863. ::love::

Yes, I know: first world problems and since this addition would not add much diversity to the stable, I need your help to talk me out of this purchase! ::facepalm2::

Pleeaaseeeee… :whistling:

PS: I don’t have high hopes that I’m in the right place for such help... with all of the enablers around. :D

2. YY77 Jun 9, 2021

Don't do it.

ckhaing and MTROIS like this.
  3. AntonisCy Jun 9, 2021

[​IMG]

Kim, vadimo, 64Wing and 5 others like this.
  4. SkunkPrince Jun 9, 2021

You're nuts. :D Most of those could be worn equally as well as a "dress watch".

MTROIS likes this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 9, 2021

The goldielocks is the dress watch. I think you need something else from the 60s instead :D

MTROIS likes this.
  6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jun 9, 2021

Impossible to have too many Speedys. Throw caution to the wind and go for it. :D
    BTW, you came to the wrong place to get talked out of buying a watch. Make sure you post pics of the new one.

dstfno and MTROIS like this.
  7. MTROIS Jun 9, 2021

Funny!! :thumbsup:

I already knew that I am nuts... but at least I am still trying to find a “sound” rationale!! ::facepalm1::

AntonisCy likes this.
  8. MTROIS Jun 9, 2021

I wish I would be able to follow this advice... but after less than stellar experiences with vintage watches, I think I am firmly in the “new only for me” camp at the present time.

I am committed to pursue my learning journey though, and may be some day I will dip my toes in the vintage ocean again. (Just too worried of the “sharks” lurking in there…). :cautious:

ckhaing likes this.
  9. Alex Cheers Jun 9, 2021

Just do it :D
    I can recommend that you buy it on your birthday, some anniversary or on other important dates (July offer's maybe also a historical important date :D)

10. vbrad26 Jun 9, 2021

[​IMG]

I'm going to be no help here.

11. Evitzee Jun 9, 2021

What's your FOMO all about? This is a brand new watch that will be made for decades with little to no physical changes, so no hurry to acquire one. You have some very nice Speedmasters already so unless you just have to have a 'basic' one I'd wait, but if you have a spare $6,800 or so lying around that you just can't find a better place to put it who are we to talk you out of scratching your horological itch?

marcn likes this.
  12. MTROIS Jun 9, 2021

That’s what I feared... too many enablers here!! ;)

Well, to at least clarify, the ‘FOMO’ is related to the fact that I am (was?) considering adding the now discontinued model with the 1863 caliber... NOT the new model that just came out. I am not yet sold on that one due to some recent news on the new caliber robustness, but the new bracelets are nice.

At the same time, I do know that this purchase would make no sense whatsoever (for several reasons) and that, indeed, there are many better horological uses for that kind of money.

For me it does speak to one thing, though: the classic Speedy Pro is just such an iconic piece!!! Less is more!!

13. mjb Jun 9, 2021

I don't understand the question. You want to buy a shiny new watch? Sure, why not? :)

It doesn't appear to be a financial issue. Is it a "I already have 7 (?) Speedmasters, why buy an eighth?" question?

I get the collecting bug, I do, for me it's largely about the chase, and I enjoy selling them nearly as much as I enjoy buying them, because then I've freed up some more money to buy something new.

I can't have more than about 5 watches because I only wear one at a time, and I find that there ends up one or two that get neglected, and so then I just sell them.

But the one and only Omega I own right now is the sapphire sandwich with the 1863 and yes it is a gorgeous movement and it's a fabulous watch and I have no desire to sell it because, for me, it is just right.

Aside from FOMO, there is also YOLO and I can come up with some more acronyms if you'd like.

Here I am, looking very stylish:
    20201013_080020.jpg

Omegafanman and pdxleaf like this.
  14. pdxleaf ... Jun 9, 2021

How about a Gemini or blue ck2998 or alaska or apollo-soyuz 35th? They would be completely different.

BlackTalon likes this.
  15. MTROIS Jun 9, 2021

Indeed they would be completely different, but as highlighted in @mjb 's post below... a large part of "why" I am even considering adding yet another Speedy Pro, is really because I do not have the "basic" Speedy Pro in my collection at this moment. So, while I truly appreciate all the pieces in my current lineup, the Moonshine being in its own league, there is just something so darn amazing and attractive resulting from the purity of the monochromatic Speedy Pro.

As an aside, the Apollo Soyuz 35th is on my wish list... but is another story for another day!

16. pdxleaf ... Jun 9, 2021

Makes sense. Love the idea of the saphire sandwich or earler hesalite sandwich.

MTROIS likes this.
  17. Evitzee Jun 9, 2021

Sorry, I missed the part in your original post about you looking for an 1863 version and that was the basis for your FOMO. Are there still new 1863's lurking around in dealer's stock? Supply of the 1861/1863 versions must be getting slim by now.

MTROIS likes this.
  18. Jkbenn02 Jun 9, 2021

What is your budget?

19. DoctorEvil Jun 9, 2021

Just my 2 cents but if money is no issue, then I'd say go for it. The other Speedies in your collection don't have a display caseback (correct me if I'm wrong) and it would be nice to have an example with one so you can show people what's inside. And as you say, Cal 1863 is a tried and tested movement. It's also closer to the original 321 that went to the moon compared to the new 3861.

Edited Jun 12, 2021
    Omegafanman and MTROIS like this.
  20. Albert_Dickson Jun 12, 2021

I so understand your FOMO dilema. I went to the only AD in our state yesterday just to look for a Speedy 40mm Silver Dial Racing. Just to look mind you. When I saw that they had the only NIB Speedy Pro 1861 Hesalite remaining and last one ever to be shipped to our state, I dropped plastic! I dont have the Speedmaster inventory you do (now Seamasters is another story ), actuallly it is my first. So, my rationalizing faced fewer hurdles. I had my choice of stunning new 3861 Moonwatchs, but that "It's the end of an era." thing got me. Guess I'm nuts too!

Go for it!

Pun and MTROIS like this.