Forums Latest Members

talk me out of this thought -69 Speedmaster for a Sub 14060

1. DonovanMartin Sep 12, 2019

I've been offered the chance to trade my -69 Speedmaster (There is an extensive thread on this site about mine) for a 1999 Rolex Sub, two line, no date 14060. I love the Speedy but have always entertained the thought of finding one from my birth year, which would be a -66 model. Those are not cheap.
    My -69 has an extract date of July 4, 1969.
    From a financial standpoint Rolex seems to always sell for more than what I have(-69).
    From a "what I love" standpoint, the speedy is amazing, especially with the date of two weeks before the moon landing. But this one was not the end goal. I could walk away from this one and fill the speedy void with a newer one for a while and keep my eyes out for one.
    I like the simplicity of the two line rolex since it looks more like the vintage models than the newer maxi case Rolexes.
    I posted this on another site that leans more to the Rolex although there were a few Speedy fans. Most said trade. I know I'm a little off balance for even entertaining this thought.
    Don't butcher me to hard: What are your thoughts?
    Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 4.22.43 PM.png HJ2A1532.jpg

nonuffinkbloke and Etp095 like this.
  2. mzinski Sep 12, 2019

You pose a tough and personal question - that sounds like you answer for yourself when you say you love a Speedie.
    Personally, I like a four digit reference from Rolex over their newer stuff. So, for me, I’d stick to the Speedie - but that’s just personal taste.
    Financially, I suppose you could make the trade and then buy yourself a cheap Speedmaster to include in your rotation until you can find a ‘66. But again, seems like you have a nice example now, do you really want to part with it for a Rolex?

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 12, 2019

Straight swap, no coin either way ?

And do you own the others in your avatar still ?

1969Mach1 likes this.
  4. sdre Sep 12, 2019

14060m are a dime a dozen.

your 69 looks pretty nice tbh.

I'll keep the speedy instead imho.

(and this is coming from a guy who likes Rolex)

5. Ravineman Sep 12, 2019

I happen to be very fond of the Rolex that you posted because it's clean and does not have the sub dials on the face which I never use . I also happen to like the thicker bezel on the Rolex. The Rolex is also a fancier watch that would fit with a suit better in my opinion.

Most people have more than one watch and have a dress watch. If that is your situation I would keep the speedy. Sometimes you don't want to wear your dress watch on anything other than a dressy occasion

6. DonovanMartin Sep 12, 2019

Not a straight swap but just a couple hundred from me.

I don't own the others any longer and just haven't changed my avatar. I had them for a year or two but they mostly stayed out of rotation. The Speedy Mk II was as clean an example as I've seen and I sold it to a collector. It had the extract of Aug, 1969. I decided at that time to try and have just one Omega with the 861 caliber. I regret selling that one a little but rarely wore it because I didn't want to mar the case. The Mark III just didn't work for me. I loved the idea of the larger case. I wore it off and on for a couple of years but never loved it.

7. Shabbaz Sep 12, 2019

I have a modern speedy and a 14060. Great combo.

Screenshot_20190912-160652_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190912-161019_Gallery.jpg
  8. krogerfoot Sep 12, 2019

Question: Is a Rolex 14060 a dress watch? I doubt many people buy them these days to take them diving, and I think wearing a tool watch with a suit can have a certain flair, but I get about 8% more elderly when I try to think of a chunk of steel like that as a dress watch.

whyboddau and DonovanMartin like this.
  9. Bbturbo Sep 12, 2019

They wear very differently though. I'm more inclined to the vintage look.

10. MTROIS Sep 12, 2019

Very personal choice... but the quest for a birth-year watch, more often than none, leads people to make questionable choices. As has often been pointed out, what even constitutes a birth year watch?? A watch sold that year? Manufactured (if you can even get that date accurately...)? Shipped to distributor or retailer??
    Lots of uncertainty IMO.
    May be better to focus on best quality of the watch you are looking to collect/own, rather than being obsessed with the requirement of a birth year. Only the cherry on the cake.

Lastly, as already stated, Rolex are legion and not that rare in this configuration.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Keep us posted.

11. saulgoodman Sep 12, 2019

+1

12. krogerfoot Sep 12, 2019

I agree, and suspect getting a watch that doesn't really speak to you with the idea that you can eventually put it toward getting you something you really want is even more complicated than I'm making it sound. I mean, if you love the speedy and don't expect to love the Rolex, you're likely setting yourself up for regret if you can't sell it for enough to afford your dream watch. Classic bird-in-the-hand situation.

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 12, 2019

Since you keep buying and selling Speedmasters, getting one from your birth-year in hopes that will cause you to keep it is a waste of time.

Trade for the Rolex.

This comes from a guy who loves his Omega watches, too. If you truly loved the Speedmaster, you wouldn't have sold the others already and be agonizing over this choice.

I owned one for 20 years, traded it away, never regretted the decision.

Tom

krogerfoot and blufinz52 like this.
  14. tritto Sep 12, 2019

The idea of birth year watches is attractive, but less so than a really good example of a watch from a period you love. I've had a few birth year watches, but never held onto one because of that or regretted selling one.
    Will a birth year speedy really make you happier than the one you already have?

Edited Sep 12, 2019
  15. DonovanMartin Sep 12, 2019

After reading and thinking through some of the thoughts here I have decided to just hang on to what I have. I've moved a lot of watches and but never really entertained the idea of this once until recently. Just not worth the hassle and the argument about "what is a birth year watch" really nails it. Year Produced? Year sold? If I decide to really pursue the Submariner I'll just tuck away money for it and someday find the one that suits me. This Speedy is staying put. Thanks for all the great points back and forth.

MTROIS, NVWC and tritto like this.
  16. Dan S Sep 12, 2019

Give the Rolex a try. The -69 Speedmasters are quite common, you can always pick up another one.

17. harrymai86 Sep 12, 2019

How much is the 14060 atm?

18. Ville_W Sep 12, 2019

According t my experience this decision becomes easier if you don’t consider a trade but ask yourself two questions:
    - Do I want to sell my Speedy?
    - Do I want to buy a Sub?

jeppehh likes this.
  19. Faz Sep 12, 2019

The Speedmaster often gets pitted against the Rolex Sub for no other reason that they are both iconic, desirable (for subjective reasons) and beautiful (also subjective). In the world of men's sports watches, they're a must and I'm pretty sure, many here have or at one point possessed both. I for one am one of them. If you are tempted by this trade, trust me, you'll miss your Speedmaster. And for those who have done the opposite, missed the Rolex...well maybe.

I'm saying this as a Rolex and Speedmaster aficionado. The 14060, is overvalued IMO. There are thousands out there. Put a WTB and wait for the right price or make an offer. Money talks. You will struggle to replace the vintage Speedmaster. Wait and try to snag a Sub and have both!

watchyouwant likes this.
  20. Tri-national-man Sep 13, 2019

I’m lucky to have both a speedy and a sub, I love them both but the speedy spends more time in the safe than the sub - You can take that anywhere and in more places than the speedy (if you are in to water sports etc).. The 14060 looks fab on a nato too.. I would say go with the Rolex if you can’t have both!

6F4C8771-8762-45A6-8738-73B463BB9D48.jpeg
    nonuffinkbloke likes this.