Birthyear Omega as a Gift

Hi all. My father's 70th birthday is in June and I'm thinking of gifting him an Omega from 1954, his birthyear. Just a bit of background for context. He's been into watches in the past until he lost interest (and financial reasons); sold what he had and gifted me the last remaining three (one, two, and three). He's into Omega, from where I got the bug.

I have this watch which I bought when I started my journey. When my collection expanded, it was getting no wrist time so decided to list it on eBay before thinking of it as a gift. It's had some water/humidity intrusion from the crown that has yellowed the dial, but in the hand it wears and looks decent. Case is fine, probably polished, and a small dent on the case back. The cal. 266 looks pretty good, dated at 1954 from the 142xxxxx serial. I can order the proper crown, a nice strap, and send it for a service if I ultimately decide to gift it to him.

Your honest opinion: does this look like a decent watch for me to gift to my father? All sentimentality aside, as I know he'll wear a bottle cap as a watch if it was my gift. Just want an opinion if I should go with it or find something else.

The watch in question:

DSC_0409.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

No. It looks like you want to pawn it off on him.

sell it and get something better

if he sold everything and gave you the last three. Maybe make sure he even wants one

Your honest opinion: does this look like a decent watch for me to gift to my father? All sentimentality aside, as I know he'll wear a bottle cap as a watch if it was my gift. Just want an opinion if I should go with it or find something else.

The uneven staining is visually unappealing to me. I'm not sure of your budget, but unless this one is really cheap I am sure you can do better. I personally think finding a birth year watch is overrated. You end up constrained to a single year which in the end causes you to spend more or compromise on the condition of the watch. I say pick a style of watch and by the best example you can afford. If that watch happens to be a birth year that would be a cool bonus, or a birth year could be the tie-breaker between to close watches.

I agree with wagudc. The dial is damaged with this one, not just aged. I would sell this one as-is, and look for a nicer example from the 50s.

@wagudc I find birth year to be important in this case. In a philosophical sense, it would be like "here is a watch as old as you are, aged by time but still going as strong as ever". Finding one in really good condition while within a specific budget would be quite the search.

I just searched 1954 Omega watch on eBay and got 113 results. And that’s just eBay. I don’t think your search will be that difficult if you choose to look for a better watch.

I found the idea quite nice but I tend to agree that this particular watch has some faults that your father - especially as he was into watches - would see. That's my opinion but you're the one to give, and you're the one to know him.
Finding a nice omega from 1954 by June should still be ok I think.
I could have proposed something to you but I've some from 1950, 1953, 1957 and 1958 so not quite that 😀

Again I like the idea though I could not say why exactly. But I find this to be a nice gesture especially as your dad gave you some nice watches back in the day.

Got the message. I know it's not the best looking watch in the world and if I was in your places, I'd probably say the same. Knowing my father, he doesn't want or care for a $1000 Omega. He'd rather spend that money on a trip. But I'll keep looking.

I could have proposed something to you but I've some from 1950, 1953, 1957 and 1958 so not quite that 😀

That would have been convenient. Maybe I'll make a post in the WTB section.

He gave you two chronographs including a valuable Heuer, why would you gift him a damaged Omega? It would seem you’re passing on rejects, agree he’s bound to realize if he was into watches. You have to do better or find another present.

I would get something nicer. 1954 is a great year for Omega watches with excellent hand-winding and automatic choices. You can get something fantastic for not too much money.

Speaking as a 1949er, I’m not sure I’d care to be given a damaged dial watch and told, "here is a watch as old as you are, aged by time ……..”.

Of course, if you were my son I’d say I was delighted and tell you how pleased I was with it and wear it whenever we met up but, truthfully……

Knowing my father, he doesn't want or care for a $1000 Omega. He'd rather spend that money on a trip.
You know your dad best, but this comment has me wondering- does he want a watch? Would he find more joy in something more meaningful to him like a trip/outing with you? I only ask because my dad loves my Speedmaster but scoffs at how much I spent on it. He wears a variety of cheap quartz watches precisely because he would rather spend the money in ways more meaningful to him, such as family trips.

Got the message. I know it's not the best looking watch in the world and if I was in your places, I'd probably say the same. Knowing my father, he doesn't want or care for a $1000 Omega. He'd rather spend that money on a trip. But I'll keep looking.

Why don’t you offer him a trip then?
Or time spent with him rather than spent searching for watches he doesn’t really want or need? 😉

Or time spent with him rather than spent searching for watches he doesn’t really want or need? 😉
^^^ this, times 10.
The most precious gift for an ageing parent is the time their children carve out for them in their busy lives.

Of course, if you were my son I’d say I was delighted and tell you how pleased I was with it and wear it whenever we met up but, truthfully……

That's the kind of perspective I was looking for. Thank you.

You know your dad best, but this comment has me wondering- does he want a watch? Would he find more joy in something more meaningful to him like a trip/outing with you? I only ask because my dad loves my Speedmaster but scoffs at how much I spent on it. He wears a variety of cheap quartz watches precisely because he would rather spend the money in ways more meaningful to him, such as family trips.

He's the same nowadays really. The watch was never meant as a the mother of all gifts. Just something (I thought) nice to give to him. A trip for him and mom is definitely an idea, as both love to travel.

Why don’t you offer him a trip then?

A trip yes. Time spent together? Nah. We live 5 minutes away and meet like 3 times a week or more sometimes. He's probably had enough of my ugly face.

No. It looks like you want to pawn it off on him.

sell it and get something better

if he sold everything and gave you the last three. Maybe make sure he even wants one

My thoughts exactly. Your dad sold his watches and gave you the rest of them. What makes you think he would actually want another watch, even if it is from his birth year? Based on his previous history, it’ll probably end up unworn in a drawer.

I recently bought a 1980s Tag diver that also comes in a ladies version. How obnoxiously cute would it be for my wife and I to have a his and hers set:

upload_2024-3-4_15-24-46.png

I floated the idea by her and she was not interested as I expected. I could have bought her the watch, but it would have been because I wanted her to have it not because she wanted it. I wonder if a bit of the same thing is going on here.

If your dad wanted a vintage watch he probably would’ve kept one of the three he gave you.
70 is a pretty big birthday ( having just been there myself) why don’t you step up and buy him a nice new watch that would be a special gift. And if he seemed not interested you could return it. New Aqua Terra maybe. That would be a special gift IMO