Forums Latest Members
  1. 90_Degrees Jan 30, 2023

My father is a pilot and has spent his entire professional career flying, first for military and then British Airways. As (I understand) is required by the civilian aviation authorities, he will retire as a commercial passenger pilot once he reaches the ages of 65 - next year!

He’s a wonderful father and has always been somewhat humble and understated, he’s not at all materialistic so the thought of buying something nice to mark his retirement probably hasn’t crossed his mind. He has a few watches, nothing outrageous (Mont Blanc, Christopher Ward etc) but has always worn one every day. He also bought me my first Flik Flak as a child.

Given all of that guff, I’d love to buy him a watch to mark his retirement. I’d looked into getting something military-based; Bremont do a couple of bits that commemorate his old RAF squadron or the aircraft he flew, but they’re pretty hefty pieces and he prefers something slim and less…’loud’. So instead I’ve decided to find him something from his birth year as a present.

I’m checking websites like Chrono24 regularly but would prefer to buy from an OF seller / a decent jeweller, given my lack of knowledge and being worried about some of the Frankensteins that exist out there.

He’s cast an approving eye over my Speedmaster 1863 in the past, so I think I’m safe with Omega. I’d be looking for a piece from 1959, so unfortunately a Speedy is out of the question given the prices. I’ve now begun looking at Seamasters / Devilles but know very little about them. Could anyone point me in the direction of a reliable guide to the different calibres / models from the era, please? I’m thinking something gold, relatively plain (a second hand / complication would be perfectly fine) and probably on a leather strap, £1-2k.

Thanks all in advance!

Dash1 likes this.
  2. gbesq Jan 30, 2023

You won't have much trouble finding something appropriate in that price range. There are any number of manual wind Seamaster references from the late 1950s that would meet your requirements. Most of them are available in either stainless steel or gold cased versions and will have the 26X or 28x series of movements which are some of the most reliable and accurate manual wind calibers ever made. As an example, here's my 1959 Seamaster reference 2996 with a manual wind caliber 285. If you want a gold case, go for gold capped or solid gold and not gold plated.
    D670FE6F-E23C-403B-BADF-66C47875FDBE.jpeg

Dash1, chrisb732 and Syzygy like this.
  3. __ryan__ Jan 30, 2023

Nice idea for a gift. If you're flexible on the production date, you may find a nice watch in less time. For example, would your father be alright with a watch dated to the late 1950s?

Nice Seamaster DeVilles come up fairly often on this thread:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/page-361

In my opinion, this is a very nice 14K Seamaster with a two-tone dial, great looking case, and a bumper movement. Classic 1950s style (dates to ~1952) and it's within your price range.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-2657-14k-gold-case-chf-1650.154681/

Dash1 and MtV like this.
  4. Davidt Jan 30, 2023

Seamaster DeViles came out c.1962 so are too late unless you’re flexible on the birth year thing

5. SOG53 Jan 30, 2023

Seamaster Calendar ref 2849 with 503 movement dates to 1957 , bought here on OF for lower end of your budget.
    Something like this with movement serial number from 17 mil to 18 mil would date to 1959.

what a nice gift idea! I’m a few years older than your dad I’m sure he will be thrilled Send us pictures when you find one if you don’t mind.

50F46AB0-603C-4D9F-8EEB-82208B296F8A.jpeg 615364DF-7A10-4F9B-BD00-7FB271A231B1.jpeg
    YYTIN and __ryan__ like this.
  6. Dan S Jan 30, 2023

I would consider a gold Longines Flagship.

tnt9, YYTIN and DaveK like this.
  7. SkunkPrince Jan 31, 2023

It were me, I would consider a flight-related watch.

An Omega Flightmaster.

A WWII Type A-17.

A Speedmaster X-33.

One of those Longines that was designed for Lindberg, or whatever?

Birth year is, perhaps, difficult at best. I personally would focus on function rather than arbitrary date.

DaveK likes this.
  8. 90_Degrees Feb 4, 2023

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’m pretty keen to stick to the birth year idea, so at least that narrows the search down to Seamasters I suppose.

Yours is absolutely beautiful, could I ask if you have any suggestions on best places to find something like this? I presume you have a trusted jeweller?

I get why flight-related watches work for some people but he hates overly complicated watches with big dials, hence discounting Breitlings, Big Pilots etc. I’m content to spend a bit longer finding the right watch that he’d like, in the right year.

I hadn’t considered the Longines Flagship, I’ve started looking at those as well as they’re beautiful and just the sort of thing he’d like, thank you.