Forums Latest Members
  1. Schnix1925 Mar 28, 2024

Hello Omega-Experts,

I'm new here in the forum and I am looking for a Speedmaster from 1984.

I've read a lot here and in other forums about how you can approximately assign the year of production to reference numbers.

Roman Hartmann's list is apparently out of date and the "I love my Speedmaster" website provides better results. I read the thread here about creating the tool. Good work! But how many extracts of the archives of the year 1984 are flowed into the tool? Or ist the given range for 1984 only a product of the interpolation between other extracts? So ist the given range of 46xxxxxx the only possible range for 1984? Or is it still possible that 45xxxxxx are made in 1984? Because very often 452xxxxx and 455xxxxx are dated to 1984 (without Extract - maybe because of otdated lists!?).

I also downloaded the iBook “moonwatch only” including the tool. Here you can also narrow down the year of production based on certain characteristics (Dial, Bezel, Caseback).

For the following clock the tool gives me 1983-1988.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/38553252919...y_8hlewQoy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Reference is 45249258 (thats what i read in the given image of the detailed description)

So according to (incorrect?) Hartmann's list 1984 - but according to "I Love my Speedmaster" March 1982.

So I'm a bit confused.

Maybe you can help me.

Thanks for advance!

Best regards,
    Schnix1925

2. Dan S Mar 28, 2024

It is always going to be an estimate unless you can get an Extract for the watch from Omega, which will supposedly resume this year. You are free to believe whichever list or tool that makes you happy, but I'd advise you not to over-think it, because there is variability.

Fortunately, it doesn't really matter in any tangible way whether a given watch is from 1983, 1984, or 1985. As long as you buy a good watch for a fair price, you haven't lost anything.

Edited Mar 28, 2024
    Schnix1925 likes this.
  3. Davidt Mar 28, 2024

Also, you need to consider what "from 1984" means. A watch produced in 1984 may well have actually sold in 85 or 86, where-as if your parents had gone to a jewellers a bought a Speedmaster the week you were born in 1984, it could have been produced in 82 or 83.

4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 29, 2024

Here was my ‘84, which I sold a few years ago. I didn’t have an extract prior to the sale but the ilovemyspeedmaster site estimated it to be from ‘85. Shortly after the sale, I received the extract from Omega, which dated it from ‘84. I did upload my extract to ilovemyspeedmaster and the owner Eugene informed me he doesn’t have (at least then) many extracts from this period compared to the numerous other popular references. However, the site does have mine as a data point.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-professional-145-022-adb-serviced.144781/

IMG_4610.jpeg IMG_4609.jpeg

Fish70, Twocats, wagudc and 2 others like this.
  5. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Mar 29, 2024

Hi!

Looks like you’re well prepared. :)

From experience trying to obtain an ‘84 birth year Speedy, the best advice I can give you is to take your time. It took me years to find one, led me deeper into the hobby and got me a serious collection along the way… Oh, and I ended up getting two ‘84s. Both full set, but only one of them made and sold in 84.

The mid 80s are particularly hard to source and date as serial ranges got mixed up in this era. Like some others, I’ve collected hundreds of EoA’s of Speedmasters to be able to pinpoint serials based on a nearest neighbor approach. Laborious, but functional.

I also suspect there’s fewer made as this was in the height of the quartz crisis. Still, it’s possible to find them… As a head start, the ‘84 serials I’ve found so far were either 4412xxxx or 4687xxxx. Unfortunately, both ranges span over multiple years.

Take your time, and enjoy the hunt. Good luck!!

Scarecrow Boat and Schnix1925 like this.
  6. Schnix1925 Mar 29, 2024

Hello! First of all thank you for your answers. Of course, you can overdo the research a little and in the end you won't find what you're looking for.

I already have a Tudor 76100 - but this one is from 1987. I definitely wanted to be a little safer this time than back then, but that's not that easy because there doesn't seem to be a "simple" order or logic.

The information was definitely helpful and I'll keep looking!

7. Schnix1925 Mar 29, 2024

Since the serial number range was mentioned above by Aludic:

Here is one with serial number 468789xx (i asked the seller last week):

Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch
    4.500 €
    https://chrono24.app/omega/omega-sp...d-l--id33245760.htm?SETLANG=de_DE&SETCURR=EUR

But is the “aging” of the luminous material correct? It appears as if it has "leaked" due to the round spots around each marker.

The case seems acceptable to me. What do you think?

8. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Mar 29, 2024

Quick reply as I am quite busy; even though the serial is correct, I do agree with you that the lume doesn't look right. Price is also a tad high without a bracelet... I'd continue the search.

9. ck2503 Mar 29, 2024

This birth-year stuff is problematic, personal experience. A watch is produced in a year, with parts produced the previous year, then sold the next year: a mess! I wanted to buy (and finally I did) a birth-year speedy, and I finally was lucky when I received the extract, but it was a real lottery!

10. Schnix1925 Mar 29, 2024

I found 3 old offers with with Reference 4525xxxx. Two of them where dated "ca." 1984 by the seller. One (see the Image) was definitly first Sold in 1986.

Anyone knows a 4525xxxx first sold in 1984?

1000043894.png
  11. Schnix1925 Mar 29, 2024

Seems like i am in the same situation as you before you find the right watch... ;-)

Which year ist it? And how do get the information, that it could be made in the right year? Only the referencenumber?

12. SOG53 Mar 29, 2024

I think you need to first define what a birth year watch is for you.
    Movement serial manufacture date?
    Watch delivery date?
    Only extract or sales receipt will determine the latter.

so why not just go by ilovemyspeedmaster serial number range and accept “close enough”.
    In the end does it really matter at all?

I guess I’m in the “I don’t get the birth year Speedy fascination thing” camp. but good luck with the hunt. I was born well before Speedys were so I can’t play anyway. :)

sheepdoll likes this.
  13. Schnix1925 Mar 30, 2024

I know that in the end, its a question about what i want to believe.

The extract gives information about delivery date, i think. So that date is the only thing, which is verifiable with an extract or the original receipt. And so its the date for which i can find a range with "I Love my Speedmaster"-Website.
    So the delivery date is the "crucial" date for me.

But if someone can tell me that a Speedmaster was finally produced or assembled in 1984, I would take that watch too. ;-)

14. Schnix1925 Mar 30, 2024

I was wrong. The Extract gives information about date of production. So, i think, i could believe in both dates:

Date of Production or Date of Delivery. ;-)

Since i am Born in june, i was "produced" in 1983 an delivered in 1984 :D. So delivery 1984 would bei fine.

On the other hand one could think birthday = production date. So both dates gives reason to believe, they are right. ;)

Scarecrow Boat and Aludic like this.
  15. reverbtime Mar 30, 2024

I was produced by error. Hence, I'd have to find a birth year watch with defect :(.