Advice on first Constellation purchase

Wanting to purchase a Pie Pan Constellation to start my first vintage watch collection. Cautious of buying a Franken or overpaying, so looking forward to learning from y'all and appreciate any and all advice.

Here is one I'm looking at:
-1968 Constellation 168.010
-Seller says everything is original
-Price is $2300 USD
image_71af4063-4171-4ac8-a6b7-184d20f22bda_1024x1024@2x.jpg
image_0a82c6bb-fade-4206-8a8f-45dbc9a68af1_1024x1024@2x.jpg image_021961a1-ac6d-46b8-9af5-d8738bc7416a_1024x1024@2x.jpg image_b8cadf6a-46cd-4472-9e34-a55d64350bde_1024x1024@2x.jpg
image_ebcdc0e8-66c1-4709-b65f-a6d35b51431b_1024x1024@2x.jpg

That one is not a pie pan. And yes, very ambitious asking price.

Everything looks good to me except the crown. I believe the crown has been replaced and should be a flat omega signed crown. I don't know the market value for these but if possible I would avoid getting a gold plated example as they tend to be less prone to retaining their case shape.

Really? Look like Pie Pan to me

Really? Look like Pie Pan to me

It’s a dome dial. Take a look at the first picture, by the date window. Pie pan dials have angles that are easy to spot. This dial doesn’t have any.

Nothing wrong with it, but not a pie pan.

Looks like I have an ally in my sacrilegious views about these painted "pie-pans". ::stirthepot::

It’s a dome dial. Take a look at the first picture, by the date window. Pie pan dials have angles that are easy to spot. This dial doesn’t have any.

Nothing wrong with it, but not a pie pan.

I see a pie pan, the side near the date window is probably not lit well/crystal distortion etc.

Look at the other side of the dial.

It's all pedantics anyway, a pie pan is just a dome dial with 12 facets.

Just for reference, here is a Connie with a dome dial.

I'm sure @Davidt won't mind me posting this pic, it deserves more exposure.

For reference this is “Dome” dial. OP’s Connie clearly has 12 side, it’s a “Pie Pan”

Understood -- thanks everyone. Appreciate the quick feedback. Looks like the search will go on!

Bit of an odd one this.
The gold cap ( not plate) case is a little soft (but the lug facets are still just about there) and the crown is one of the correct replacements offered.

The cal 564 26,3xx serial pushes it into the latter part of production for this reference which makes me question the dial.
168.010 pie pans are usual clearly defined and sharp edged.
I don’t recall seeing a ‘painted pie pan ‘ dial on on a ‘hidden crown’ Connie other than a 168.004.
If the OP’s watch was an early cal 561 it could have been a transitional watch but it isn’t.

even if all correct, the price is about double what it should be given the softer case.

a gold cap pie pan 168.010

For reference this is “Dome” dial. OP’s Connie clearly has 12 side, it’s a “Pie Pan”
just for learning, the dog leg lugs on this connie is considered unpolished / lightly polished rite? edges still look sharp and angular

A pie pan dial is about its shape — faceted and with angles.

The OP’s watch is a without question a dome-shaped dial, with a different paint job than a plain dome dial. Not the least bit uncommon, but that paint doesn’t make it a pie pan, and never will.

The OP’s pictures make this abundantly clear. Compare with Peemacgee’s, an actual pie pan shape. Very obviously different.

Here we go again...

hey - it’s a perennial topic for discussion, so we must be about due for it to be debated again. 😀

I’ve never actually held one of these in my hands so don’t know if the dial is actually angled (faceted) or simply a trompe l,oeil effect ( I’ve always thought the latter personally but as I said I’ve never held one)

there must be a trusted member who has one of these who can give an objective opinion.
Didn’t someone in a previous thread say they were going to buy one to give a definitive answer?

( and the OVDB calling everything with a painted outer section - angled or circular - does not a pie-pan make….:whipped:)

A pie pan dial is about its shape — faceted and with angles.

The OP’s watch is a without question a dome-shaped dial, with a different paint job than a plain dome dial. Not the least bit uncommon, but that paint doesn’t make it a pie pan, and never will.

Well, since the term is a enthusiast-coined term and not set in stone by an official authority (and means something else for different brands...), it is slightly controversial to be very firm about its definition. Even if the dial is not shaped physically with twelve sides, but the factory paint job simulates it I will continue using the term here, if nothing else than to separate it from the dome dial variant that is also available in this reference which does not emulate a different dial casting. "Faux pie pan" is also a term which could be utilised.

hey - it’s a perennial topic for discussion, so we must be about due for it to be debated again. 😀

I’ve never actually held one of these in my hands so don’t know if the dial is actually angled (faceted) or simply a trompe l,oeil effect ( I’ve always thought the latter personally but as I said I’ve never held one)

there must be a trusted member who has one of these who can give an objective opinion.
Didn’t someone in a previous thread say they were going to buy one to give a definitive answer?

( and the OVDB calling everything with a painted outer section - angled or circular - does not a pie-pan make….:whipped:)

I have one myself, but I am not about to take it apart to find out. However, since the crown came loose recently, it will have to be taken to a watchmaker soon 😵‍💫

The OVDB entry re. pie pan dials I take as a generic remark, just like they don't state the various case metal types some of the references come in, but only mentions "gold cap", for instance.

Well, since the term is a enthusiast-coined term and not set in stone by an official authority (and means something else for different brands...), it is slightly controversial to be very firm about its definition. Even if the dial is not shaped physically with twelve sides, but the factory paint job simulates it I will continue using the term here, if nothing else than to separate it from the dome dial variant that is also available in this reference which does not emulate a different dial casting. "Faux pie pan" is also a term which could be utilised.

I’m not sure you need “faux”. IMHO you nailed it with “factory paint job simulates…”.

How about “simulated pie pan”? 😀