Forums Latest Members
  1. WOYW Sep 26, 2020

Here is a picture of what the dial looks like now. Does anyone have or know where I can find a picture of this dial in better condition? Reference 2846 5 SC from about 1956.
    Thanks,
    Mark

D85EA8CE-7620-4A9A-B9F6-544A3453D3EA.jpeg
  2. Dan S Sep 26, 2020

Just do a google images search using the reference number and look for a dial with the crosshair and the same markers. Not hard, you can do it yourself.

Or if you wait a bit, someone will do it for you. :D

Edit: I found a couple. Do you want me to post the links, or do you want the fun of finding it yourself?

Benbradstock, 89-0 and DaveK like this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Sep 26, 2020

If you input that reference number into the search feature of this forum, you will see that reference being discussed a bit. Each thread having pictures as well. A lot without crosshairs, but it wouldn't be difficult to imagine those

https://omegaforums.net/threads/your-opinion-please-on-this-omega-2546-2846.117804/#post-1567595

There is still a lot of fun to be had in the search as there are countless more threads than what I linked :D

4. WOYW Sep 27, 2020

Dan,
    Up until your challenge I have been Google impaired. I came close on the previous four or five attempts, but have now located an image! I appreciate your encouragement. ...and I am usually so stubborn

89-0 and Dan S like this.
  5. Dan S Sep 27, 2020

Spruce and 89-0 like this.
  6. WOYW Sep 27, 2020

Dan S likes this.
  7. SkunkPrince Sep 27, 2020

That's one I would consider for a factory redial if it has any sentimental value. Or leave it, if you prefer it that way.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Sep 27, 2020

Agreed. We have seen some come back from Omega with a freshly repainted dial and movement completely overhauled with amazing results and at reasonable cost. That said, it will look like a brand new watch as your father bought it and not have the patina of his use- so the choice is entirely subjective. An independent watchmaker can service the movment and leave the cosmetic parts as is- Omega won't do that as their policy is to make it like new.

9. WOYW Sep 27, 2020

I am struggling with that decision now, to say the least. Talking with Omega, it sounds like they would ship it to Switzerland and it would likely cost a couple grand. I found someone stateside that could do the service and redial for $1,000-$1,500. Using the factory is more costly, but would provide the peace of mind that it will be done correctly...

10. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 27, 2020

Getting the redial right will be harder than servicing the movement.

Which one will do a better redial?

connieseamaster likes this.
  11. WOYW Sep 27, 2020

Like how I play darts. First, I close my eyes...

12. masteroftime Sep 27, 2020

If you choose to get it serviced and redialed, I could save up and go the factory route. I have a few watches that need to be redialed and the consensus (from what I've seen) is that Omega dials are rarely done right by 3rd party dial restorers in the US. I understand this is quite cost prohibitive and I would only potentially do it in select circumstances.

If I were you, I would consider getting it serviced locally and a new crystal and crown installed. The new crystal alone will made the dial look a little better. If you're not too set on having the same exact dial, you could search on eBay for a better example on a parts watch and buy it. This will allow you to keep the original dial and make it more "wearable" and you can always get the original re-installed down the road. Also, if you get a parts dial that needs work and is in the same overall style, that can also get refinished to look like your original dial without permanently altering the original. I think this option could easily be done below 1,500 and you won't do anything too permanent.

13. Dan S Sep 27, 2020

Just curious. Is this an heirloom piece with sentimental value? Sorry if you already mentioned this above, but I didn't notice you giving any background.

Edit: Just went back and read more carefully, and I noticed that in the middle of the page, you mentioned "Dad". That would be the only circumstance I'd consider a factory restoration, since financially it obviously doesn't make sense for a watch like this.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 27, 2020

If it were possible, it would be nice to get examples of their previous redials to compare. Particularly given what a good job will cost you.

If it were possible...

15. DON Sep 27, 2020

That price is a hose job

Never tell anybody doing a service for you that "it's the most precious thing in my life" or "it's a family heirloom" etc.

You might as well say lube me up and bend me over a chair and have at it!

Service, providing it just needs a cleaning about $250.00 on or about and a redial about $80.00 on or about

Crown is about $35.00 and same for a signed crystal. These are just est.'s as I haven't bought either in a number of years

I would check around and get a number of est.'s before doing anything to the watch. Even if it means shipping it out of state to a watchmaker

DON

16. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 27, 2020

Are the really good redials that cheap?

17. JwRosenthal Sep 27, 2020

From what I recall of a post just this last year, the cost of an Omega restoration including full overhaul, case refinishing and redial, the cost was less than $1k ($800 if memory serves and the baggie of parts they returned was amazing). Not sure where you got the quote of a couple grand, but that doesn't sound right. If that was a clerk in a boutique, they may have been just wanting you to go away or buy a new watch.

18. DON Sep 27, 2020

Anyone can charge what they like for a redial. Doesn't mean the higher the price the better the quality.

Is that $400 steak in a wood grain paneled ambient upscale restaurant going to taste better than a $40.00 one from a local diner? Really can't say, Never spent that much for either one :)

The most I paid was from Rich Dial in Seattle as I needed a job done for a dial my guy didn't want to do and that was $100

My refinisher before he retired in 2010. Charged $55.00 Canadian. More if complicated. He was one of the best. 40 years experience restoring and used by a number of vintage resellers.

Not only that. He would also polish and replate the hands and indexes

I probably did about 200 or more dials with him. He sold the business and trained the buyer for 6 months. I haven't used the new guy as I stopped restoring watches around the same time (my watchmaker also passed away a few months prior).

New guy I think is about $60.00 or so.

Bear in mind. If the watchmaker ships it out. He's going to double the price

DON

19. SkunkPrince Sep 27, 2020

No.

Archer likes this.
  20. SkunkPrince Sep 27, 2020

Factory service depends on what you ask for, and yes, there are examples on here, though I am not sure how to help you find them.

Omega advertises two levels of service, an automatic for $550 and I assume redial extra, and $1500 for something so exotic they must remake the parts.

Really, it's up to you. A decent service on a vintage watch will cost $500 in the US easily unless you're one of those rare individuals who knos someone worth a damn to trust your watch to (and those people ought share their source before complaining "it's too much").

I tell the story of my father's wedding watch. It was way more important to him than his wedding ring, which he never wore. At some previous service, some dipshit scratched the dial removing the hands. After that, and as the silver dial started tarnishing a bit, he was always asked, do you want to refinish the dial? He always said "NO!"

You knew your dad, follow your gut on this one. But you have plenty of alternatives, and I am confident you will find one that suits you.

masteroftime and DaveK like this.