Forums Latest Members

Watches and insurance during shipping // Solution!!

1. MaiLollo Oct 3, 2018

I spoke on the phone with the founder of Secursus who told me to avoid any indication of the value of the content. I have nothing to pay to customs since it’s intra EU, but I declared that it’s an old broken clock worth 5€.
    I think that when you’re starting a business based on a smallish watch collector community, you have to have detailed rules, but you have to be intelligent about the way you treat customers if anything goes south, so let’s give these guys a shot !

Syrte and SpeedTar like this.
  2. Amaza Oct 3, 2018

In europe UPS terms and conditions are quite clear stating explicitly 'the value of any jewellery or watches in a package must not exceed the local currency equivalent of USD 500'. However, looking at the terms and conditions for US, watches are no longer mentioned directly. Nonetheless, a long series of constraints apply on the maximum declarable value in function of shipment method, destination, content, etc. It may actually be the case that for some domestic shipments watches may be insurable in US.

3. sdre Oct 3, 2018

Parcel Pro for me so far. No claims needed and shipping from Singapore to NYC was almost within 30 hours. Pretty fast imho

blubarb and Jokr like this.
  4. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

But do you add an extra insurance ? Or parcel pro insure for sur the value of the package ?

sdre likes this.
  5. sdre Oct 3, 2018

Yeap!

So say I was shipping a 5000 usd watch, I will pay like 10-20 bucks for insurance for full value. I remember it to very really cheap and see no reason why I should not take it.

6. many Oct 4, 2018

FedEx also offers a service called Declared Value Plus? If you have a business you can get your watches and jewelry insured when you ship.

7. orlis Oct 5, 2018

8. many Oct 5, 2018

Also as somehow else mentioned in the thread FedEx will not honor a declared value of over $1000 on a watch even if you enter and pay for that value. The CSRs don't seem to be aware of this either if you call their 800 #.

9. MaiLollo Oct 5, 2018

My package arrived without an issue very quickly, so I can only thank Secursus for taking my money :D
    If I have another watch to ship in the future, I'll use them. I would have taken parcelpro, but since I'm neither a dealer nor based in the USA, it's not going to be a possibility. Let's hope that Secursus turns out to be the next best thing!

Syrte likes this.
  10. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 5, 2018

ATTENTION : read carefully the T&Cs ! : http://www.secursus.com/terms-and-conditions.php

The Cargo Insurance will not apply if the Customer does not meet all the following requirements:

I will try them, but before I'll go through the T&Cs twice, in both french and english. :whistling:

Also, kind of interesting for an established business but once logged into my account, my browser shows a HTTPS certificate error. This doesn't look serious for a business. ::facepalm2::

djmusicman and mr_yossarian like this.
  11. MaiLollo Oct 5, 2018

I talked with the founder on the phone, who has told me that the 7.3 condition is only applicable to professionals.

Basically, from what he told me, you need: to package the watch in a small box, put the small box in a bigger box, and make sure the value of the watch is not declared on the package (including the customs form?). Make sure you don't declare what's inside the box because most of the stolen packages go missing because a carrier's employee gets tempted by package's value and steals it (his words).

If anything goes south & it's a collector to collector transaction, the only thing you need to be refunded is a proof of payment (bank statement showing the wire, PP extract, ect.) and a "contract" stating that you sold X watch to Y guy (I don't know if an exchange of emails is enough, I would guess so but in my case the buyer asked for a written document, which is always the most secure thing to do).

EDIT: I agree for the HTTPS part, they also don't list a phone number apart from one in the T&C and it does not work if you call it :/ I think the business just started out...

calcheng likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 5, 2018

I would be careful in taking anything verbal as something that supersedes what is in writing. If a claim is denied it will be the written terms and conditions that would apply.

Also, it's a little disturbing that to use this insurance they are essentially forcing you to lie on customs paperwork...if in fact you can't declare the value on the customs forms.

13. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 5, 2018

Good to know, thanks for sharing L. :thumbsup: But then they should consider specifying it in their T&Cs. At this stage I see it more like an exit clause for them :thumbsdown:

I had the same thoughts last time I shipped a watch with FedEx. Since the insurance can’t be higher than 1000 USD, they force you to declare a value up to that threshold even if in reality it’s maybe 10x higher. Which at the end of the day is against export rules compliance :whistling:

14. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 5, 2018

So in effect, you have to commit a criminal offence by falsifying a customs declaration to use this service?
    Would anybody in their right mind ship a £10000 watch and declare at zero value?

JohnSteed and djmusicman like this.
  15. Gefa Oct 5, 2018

Thanks for posting ..... This is very interesting
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. MaiLollo Oct 5, 2018

I don’t care about the criminal offence as I was shipping inside the EU, so no taxation is applicable. If customs play a part in the deal, obviously you have to declare the full value. It was just an advice to avoid unecessary risks associated with the carrier knowing the value of the content.

@kov yes I would like to see things in writing as well, but I want to talk to a guy that can explain the T&C to me in a straightforward manner. I believe that any smart-ish business owner would build a reputation by not lying to the face of his customers, especially when you’re one of the first customers...

SpeedTar likes this.
  17. VersusTime Oct 7, 2018

Hello everyone , my name is Valentin and I’m the founder of Secursus.

First of all I would like to thank all of you that have already used the insurance service. As a watch collector , I know very well how complicated and stressful it is to ship watches overseas. Our goal is to make the service as easy as possible and with clear T&Cs.
    Secursus is live since July 2018 and all of your feedbacks are very important for us as we are working everyday to improve the service.
    I’ll reply to everyone , please feel free to send me a direct message if you have any specific question.

-1 Customs declaration.
    We are absolutely not forcing you to lie on the declaration form. We are the moment making an update on our T&C to make this very clear.
    The customs bill is always placed under the airway-bill therefore it is not visible when your package is being processed.
    You are free to declare the amount you want on the declaration but it must NOT be visible on the outside of the package.

-2 Refund process.
    We ask for a commercial invoice or a certificate of sale between 2 individuals or an expert appraisal. Again , we will update our Terms to make this clearer.

-3 HTTPCS Error and Telephone support.
    The team is at the moment working on this issue. The website is fully secure and this will be resolved very shortly.
    The call center will be opened very soon in English , French , German and Spanish.

Any questions please let me know :)

calcheng, whyboddau, blubarb and 5 others like this.
  18. many Oct 7, 2018

Interesting. I was wondering why I couldn't find any additional information on your company online. It makes sense if you just opened your doors.

VersusTime and kov like this.
  19. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 7, 2018

That certainly isn't the case where I live.

Socks likes this.
  20. VersusTime Oct 14, 2018

Thank you for all your feedbacks.
    We just updated our Terms.

- Customs
    "the customs form is not considered as an indication of the value"
    - Refund
    Refund process backed up by a certificate of sale between 2 individuals indicating the value of the Items.

Have a great Sunday.

SpeedTar likes this.