Forums Latest Members

Advice for storing watches and insurance

1. zizzi Feb 29, 2020

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a safe to store my valuables. I've done prior research and was advised to purchase one that could be bolted down so as to deter burglars from taking the whole thing. However, as I am renting the apartment, I am not sure if my landlord would allow this and also am worried that it might be a hassle when I move in the future. Would be great to hear your thoughts on this.

Cheers!

2. pseikotick Feb 29, 2020

There is almost no way to stop a determined thief from taking your safe. If your floor is concrete and you bolt it down, it will make things very difficult, though. And any safe small enough for one man to carry, even if it's mounted in a wall or floor will not stop them. The irony is, the fact you HAVE a safe is the incentive for them to do whatever necessary to get into it. After all, who would bother with a safe unless they have fabulous riches? If you choose to use a safe, my recommendation is this: get a fairly small safe and locate it where it won't be too hard to find, maybe in the master bedroom closet, the first place they'll look. Put some junk in it then take the real valuables and find a very good hiding place elsewhere in the home. The best choice is a safe deposit box at the bank. There are plenty of stories of even massive gun safes bolted to floors being ripped out. If they have enough time in your home, anything is possible. Oh, and insure everything.

DaveK, Larry S, kkt and 5 others like this.
  3. Dan S Feb 29, 2020

4. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Feb 29, 2020

Agree with @pseikotick - I am going to be buying my first house later this year and when I do so, I'm planning to put a cheap safe in our closet and put a few Chinese fakes in there, while ultimately storing the watches in a much more discrete / random location. And yes, add them to your insurance rider.

Larry S, GandOsDad, Joe_A and 3 others like this.
  5. zizzi Feb 29, 2020

6. Dsloan Feb 29, 2020

Not sure about plans in the UK, but my State Farm personal article policy is very cheap ($10 a month for around $15K coverage) and has no deductable. And, for items valued under $2.5K, you don't even need an appraisal or proof of purchase price.

Walrus, zizzi and pseikotick like this.
  7. cvalue13 Feb 29, 2020

Seconding the info above and adding:

Do some reading around the differences between actual safes and security cabinets.

actual safes are very expensive, very heavy, and give incredibly little interior space compared to their overall volume. Actual safes are difficult to get into (if properly installed.)

What many stores sell and call “safes” are technically categorized in the industry as “security cabinets.” These are not at all difficult to get into, for anyone with an ounce of determination and a few minutes.

Here’s just one vid (many are available) showing how easily “security cabinets” can be opened (and showing only one method):

CaptainWinsor and zizzi like this.
  8. Evitzee Feb 29, 2020

No safe will prevent a home invasion perp from forcing you to open it while a weapon is aimed at you or a loved family member. Don't fall in love with the idea that a safe will protect your valuables in all circumstances. My MO: Keep a low profile, have a SD box in a bank and live in a safe environment.

DaveK, Engee, marco and 1 other person like this.
  9. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 29, 2020

Decent safe, guns and dogs your good to go

marco likes this.
  10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 29, 2020

I bought a safe at a discount store ( Harbor Freight) and used two lag bolts to secure it to the 2x4 in the closet. I suspect when I do remove it I can cover the holes with some putty and then paint.

zizzi likes this.
  11. whiskeredbat Feb 29, 2020

If buying a safe to store documents make sure to have some form of dehumidification inside. Something simple like dry silica gel is good. Those that turn to liquid just exacerbate the problem. Frankly I wouldn't put my valuables in a home safe. If it can be delivered to your home (as most dealers do) it can be wheeled out again by someone else. Be safe - had to put that in:).

zizzi likes this.
  12. Chaz Goldenrod Feb 29, 2020

If you are dedicated to going the safe route consider something with a UL rating. These are high grade safes with demonstrated resistance to a burglar attack. For example, a safe with a UL TL-15 rating can withstand at least 15 minutes of sustained attack with good tools. These safes tend to be larger and very expensive but there are some smaller UL rated safes out there. You may be able to find a good deal on a used one in your area as well.
    As other members have mentioned, a visible safe can be a magnet for thieves. An alternative solution you may want to consider is hidden storage within your home.There are some cool furniture pieces out there with hidden compartments, many are designed for concealing firearms in plain sight.

zizzi and Farmer like this.
  13. tritto Mar 1, 2020

My take on a safe is a little different to those above. Most home burglaries are opportunistic, not planned break ins by experienced and well equipped thieves. They're ice fiends looking for some quick and easy stuff to move to find their next hit. Nothing can stop a really determined thief from getting in or getting at your valuables. However most thieves want to be in and out in minutes. A safe can slow down the process and is more likely to result them leaving with anything left on the dresser and electronic devices and leaving the safe as it'll be noisy and take too long.
    I've been the victim of a break in a good while ago and that's my experience, for what it's worth.

DaveK, marco, Larry S and 3 others like this.
  14. cvalue13 Mar 1, 2020

Clarification:

A TL-15 means only the safe door can successfully resist entry for a net assault time of 15 minutes. The safe’s sides, top and back are a different story.

So, even with these high-end safes, proper installation is key - located to minimize access to the safe’s sides, top and back, and fastened in place.

As you learn more about the cost and utility of even the best home safes, you come to realize there’s a reason there’s not one in every home.

DaveK and zizzi like this.
  15. zizzi Mar 1, 2020

Thanks for the advice guys! I guess I'll get a safety deposit box and look into insuring them. Cheers!

Edited Mar 7, 2020
    Larry S likes this.
  16. zizzi Mar 7, 2020

A follow up question: how do you guys store your watches in a safe deposit box? Do you put them inside a watch box (which would be bulkier and thus require a larger, more expensive box but maybe offer better protection?) or put them in a watch roll which would take up less space but might potentially be an inferior method to store watches?

I was thinking of putting them in a watch roll and putting some silicone gel packs in the box. Do you think that would be enough?

Cheers

17. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 7, 2020

I wear my Seamaster most out of my small collection. A few days a week on avg. I bought a rider on my home insurance that covers my Seamaster for theft or loss. I think it was $20 CDN per year. Though come to think of it, it wasn’t clear if coverage was for replacement cost or purchase price, so I’ll check that this morning.

noelekal likes this.
  18. zizzi Mar 7, 2020

What are some things to look out for if I'm considering purchasing insurance for my watches? I don't currently have home insurance as I'm renting so I will probably have to get one specifically for valuables, and does anyone have any suggestions for good providers and plans in the UK?

Thanks!

19. jsducote Mar 7, 2020

I can't speak to its availability in the UK, but renter's insurance is a real thing in the US and is a good idea for anyone with valuables - be they watches, jewelry, computers, clothes, etc. Your landlord's insurance rarely covers the value of your belongings.

DaveK, Dan S and zizzi like this.
  20. nlogax Mar 7, 2020

If it's going in someone else's safe, I'd probably put the watch in something like this with foam and a small silica pack

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/go-case/personal-utility/g10

zizzi likes this.