Forums Latest Members

Watches and insurance during shipping // Solution!!

1. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 30, 2020

Sorry to read that @Zyklus, hope everything will work as expected and you get covered. Am following the other thread with interest.

And secursus do read this forum as well so your full disclosure can definitely help ;)

Zyklus and Archer like this.
  2. Socks Jul 3, 2020

Have just read this thread (along with others regarding posting/insurance). I might want to send a watch from the UK to Singapore (£2500). Rightly or wrongly will go with Secursus for insurance since shippers will not insure. The problem comes with not disclosing what's in the parcel. Went into the Post Office and they want to stick a customs label (C23) on the outside of the package where you have to say 'it's a watch' & "it's worth £2500" !!! You might as well write 'knick me!'. I've read somewhere you can put the customs label (or form) on the inside of the package but can't find where I read it. Has anybody on here had experience with shipping from the UK and Customs Labels. What do the likes of DHL, TNT etc do as their websites don't mention export paperwork.

3. JamieG Jul 3, 2020

I had a similar dilemma recently. The process with Secursus was dead simple and not expensive (0.6% of sales value). My watch was delivered into the EU with no issues, so I have no idea how good, bad or indifferent Secursus might be in the event of a claim.

I think you’ve seen the note about a customs declaration on the Secursus website. I took it to mean that you can put the C22 / C23 form behind the address label if you apply a stick on “documents enclosed” pouch with all paperwork to go inside it.

My experience with DHL,a while ago, was to take the package, open, to their distribution centre at East Midlands Airport. They inspected what it was and then sealed it up. My Wife videoed it on my phone and we were presumably filmed on their cctv system. In fairness they didn’t ask for a value, but they recorded the contents as “a watch”. It arrived safely the following day at its destination.

I guess if your buyer is happy paying whatever duty is due on an imported item then it’s probably fair to state the value and call it a precision instrument. Double box it if possible, put the customs form behind the address label and tell the shipping company it’s not on their restricted items list.

Socks likes this.
  4. Socks Jul 3, 2020

It actually says on the notes on the Royal Mail C23 pdf form that 'if you prefer to enclose it inside the item, you must fix a label to the outside indicating the presence of a customs declaration' Not sure if that worse than having a label on the outside saying 'watch'. Also, presumably, when it gets to the other end the customs will rip it open to find the form, which is just as worrying.

5. Peter_from_NL Jul 3, 2020

Very interesting thread. I went through the docs from the Secursus insurance company website and found that one is not insured when:
    losses or damages on Packages that were received without signature or that were received with a non-conforming signature;

the thing is that because of Corona all my packages are nowadays done without signatures.....

orlis and Dan S like this.