Forums Latest Members

Watches and insurance during shipping // Solution!!

1. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

Hi All,

I’m making this post to give my feedback about a new service I use to insure my watches (or parts) during shipping.

As you may know , all carriers have excluded vintage and collector items from their insurance policy.

Fedex maximum is 1000$ maximum while DHL , Ups and others have completely banned watches from coverage. You better read carefully the condition terms!!

The worst part is that I was paying 1% to UPS , and realize few years later that watches were not covered. Of course when at the UPS office , they don’t tell you watches are not covered => when I asked them at the office they told me that is was insured!! May be the employees are not aware of that!

I discovered recently on Instagram Secursus , which is a french insurance company. They offer a 0,60% rate (usually 1% for the carriers' insurrance) : the most interesting part is that they are covering the final retail value of the watch.

I have done some search on OF and found this thread, it is the perfect case of trouble we all can have while shipping :

https://omegaforums.net/threads/fedex-international-package-lost-parcel-pro-claim.64442/page-3

Personnaly, I am now using this insurance, I believe this may be usefull to the community!

Here is the website: www.secursus.com

2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 3, 2018

Here's a couple of options:

Chubb. If you can afford it then this is the one.
    Their Individual Valuable Articles policy covers whatever and however for up to 150% of their insured value.

USAA. If you're a US Military active or veteran, it's better than most and affordable.

D.D. likes this.
  3. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 3, 2018

Interesting, I use ParcelPro but have never had to make a claim so no idea how they would handle things should the wirst happen.

4. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

it looks like a service for the professionals, right? And if it's expensive may be it is not for everyone ::confused2::
    Actually I am in France and fully civilian, but thanks ;)

5. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

Check it!!

sdre likes this.
  6. MaiLollo Oct 3, 2018

I've insured a package yesterday morning with Secursus, I'll update to see how the delivery goes! But, as with any insurance, we'll be able to judge the quality once something goes wrong...

7. bonerp Oct 3, 2018

why are they shit?

8. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

I don’t know, I mean we better check the terms to avoid any bad surprises when thing goes wrong

Als 27 likes this.
  9. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

100% agree ! At least they offer specifically insurance for watches

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 3, 2018

Not just for professionals, as many private individuals have been able to get accounts.

As for being expensive, that's not the case at all. In fact if I were to walk in to a FedEx depot off the street, and pay out of pocket to ship a parcel with zero insurance, I would be paying more than I would for the shipping and insurance through ParcelPro. Since ParcelPro negotiates rates with carriers for people using their service, you essentially get a very good group rate when using ParcelPro to ship. It significantly lowers the cost of shipping, and allows me to fully insure...win-win.

As much as you may have found a great alternative, I'm not sure why you are coupling that to questioning how good ParcelPro is...

Farmer, M'Bob, Rman and 3 others like this.
  11. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 3, 2018

I've never been able to figure out how to use freight + insurance through ParcelPro and figured it wasn't available here in the UK, from your comments I guess that isn't the case then(your are in the UK aren't you Archer?). Will have to look into it next time, I always add it after shipping as insurance only.

12. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 3, 2018

Did you describe the contents and value on the package, maybe on a customs form? If you did, then as I interpret their terms and conditions set out in their customer obligations section, you're out of luck if it gets lost.

13. Philou Oct 3, 2018

D.D. and SpeedTar like this.
  14. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

In their terms it says that the insured value on Secursus cannot exceed the value on the commercial invoice /expert appraisal/ certificate of sale between 2 collectors.
    I have had the confirmation that the customs invoice can be different from the insured value on secursus.

15. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 3, 2018

That is not what I was asking.
    It clearly states in their T&C's that the insurance will be null and void if there is any information on the package that could be used to deduce the nature or value of the item.

16. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

ParcelPro is worldwide or based in the US?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 3, 2018

It is based in the US,. but you do not have to be in the US to use it. For example I am in Canada and have shipped thousands of watches using PP.

blubarb and SpeedTar like this.
  18. SpeedTar Oct 3, 2018

Oh yep you are right ;)

19. Philou Oct 3, 2018

I checked with ParcelPro a few months ago and their service for individuals located in EU was only available to UK and DE residents.

Syrte and SpeedTar like this.
  20. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 3, 2018

I would like to see where it is written that UPS does not cover watches. I have been told by very senior UPS employees that their insurance covers watches. BTW watches are not jewelry.