Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega in La La Land

1. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 17, 2017

To my eyes, the bezel of the 2650 doesn't look the same as the one from the watch in the movie.

2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 17, 2017

Wholeheartedly agree. Movie watch has almost no bezel.

We still don't know which one it is...:rolleyes:

It very well could be a 'franken' :eek:...

Edited Feb 17, 2017
  3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 26, 2017

Will we get to see Ryan Gosling wearing the vintage Omega tonight at the Oscars presentation?

More likely I suppose, he will be dressed as himself, not 'Sebastian'; sporting a vintage Air King or some-such...

Jwit likes this.
  4. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Feb 26, 2017

I just saw him in a close-up (applauding Shirley MacLaine) and it did not appear to be an Omega.

Was that transmission lever in Park the whole time he was driving that car??? Apparently the production designer of Hidden Journeys (I think? Didn't see it) had the same problem.

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

Jwit likes this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 27, 2017

Yep. Apparently, he likes to wear his Air King (I think) pretty loose as it was bouncing crazily as he clapped, making it kind of hard to get a good look at it. Edit: here it is:
    IMG_9407.JPG

transitional lever faux paux in both ('Hidden Figures', 'LaLa Land) :eek:!

I certainly enjoyed the Rolex commercial, showing various vintage Rolexes in their history. Anyone know which Rolex model that was with silver dial and sub seconds? It's a beaut!

IMG_9404.JPG

And is that a Sub on Brando (same commercial)?

Edit: Oh, yeah, 'Brando Lux', 16753!
    IMG_9405.JPG

Edited Feb 27, 2017
    ahartfie and Jwit like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 27, 2017

ahartfie likes this.
  7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 27, 2017

ahartfie likes this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 4, 2017

Anyone with the Blu-Ray yet?

Just came out!

Who can 'ENHANCE' first? ::popcorn::

Kmart likes this.
  9. Kmart May 7, 2017

Best I can do right now as my Xbox won't let me take screenshots of movies!

IMG_5400.JPG

Giff2577, ahartfie and Jwit like this.
  10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 7, 2017

Yup. Way to go, K, best capture so far...

I just got the Blu-Ray myself, but I haven't had a chance to open it yet. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.. off to bed just now...

The crown almost looks like it's recessed, or maybe just really small.

Did we decide on the reference of this watch? Looks like the ref. 2650 dial, but the case isn't like any of the Omega cases we've posted so far...

Hmm.... can't imagine they'd use a 'franken' in the movie, but who knows?

11. Egatdagi May 8, 2017

Movie studios get props from lots of sources. This could have been a watch bought from a pawnshop years ago that has been sitting in the wardrobe department at the studio. Also, is the character a WIS? Maybe it's supposed to be a franken in the story.

12. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF May 8, 2017

Have you seen the movie?

Character isn't a WIS, but the actor wearing it is. And the director was EXTREMELY detail oriented, I would be surprised if it were a Franken. Maybe wasjust polished to death at some point?

13. M'Bob May 8, 2017

Just saw the movie. Enjoyable, but does anyone else feel they played it too safe by getting two, well-known actors to secure box office returns, rather than scour the country for two emerging stars that could REALLY sing and hoof?

TNTwatch and Deafboy like this.
  14. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 8, 2017

I too thought the singing and dancing from the principals was generally poor. OTOH, many people commented they enjoyed the imperfections, as it humanized the struggling characters.

Jwit likes this.
  15. M'Bob May 8, 2017

That's exceedingly generous, but misguided, I think. The strong suit of these two actors is that they ARE good actors, and therefore did a sufficient job of communicating their struggles through dialogue. That is no excuse for mediocre singing, and stilted dancing. But I do get that this is not your point of view, so sorry if this appears like I'm shooting the messenger.

TNTwatch likes this.
  16. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 8, 2017

Actually, I'm on the camp the dancing and signing should have been much better. I don't want to take away Gosling's and Stone's acting abilities, but I do think they were miscast for these roles.

M'Bob likes this.
  17. Kmart May 8, 2017

I think if the director had wanted that he would have done it. It's not like there is a shortage of talented singers and dancers in this country, he probably could have just picked 2 at random from Broadway and they would have been better in that aspect. But the singing and dancing was a relatively small portion of the movie, all things considered -- Gosling had, what, 3 songs? And Stone had 4. I think it was more important that the actors had chemistry and dramatic acting ability rather than being exceptional singers and dancers. Chazelle made the right choice IMO.

thelinendial likes this.
  18. yinzerniner May 8, 2017

I agree with almost all your points, but also want to add that the choice of actors definitely helped in him securing financing for the project. While Whiplash was great, the scope and scale was nowhere near La La Land, and there's no way he could've filmed it with a more talented singing/dancing duo like Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson.

So between the choice of having subpar singing/dancing and no movie at all, I'll take the awkward jazz jumps any time....

Kmart, Deafboy, Archer and 1 other person like this.
  19. M'Bob May 8, 2017

Very true. These two actors cast a halo effect on the project, and whether the director wanted a different pair or not, the people that put up the $30 million would have never let him do it with lesser stars. However, the dancing and singing shortcomings are not minimal (how can they ever be in a musical, hence the genre), and in fact, this is often the area where the film receives its criticisms.

Deafboy likes this.
  20. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 8, 2017

This.

I loved everything about this movie, from the cinematography, the music, the actors, et. al.

But then, to add a however-unidentifiable vintage Omega in there was sweet icing on the already excellent cake!

thelinendial, yinzerniner and Deafboy like this.