Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega in La La Land

1. panopticonison Jan 4, 2017

Happy New Year, Omega friends. I highly recommend seeing La La Land when you have a spare moment, one because it's excellent, but more importantly because Ryan Gosling sports a beautiful vintage Omega throughout the film:

[​IMG]

It caught my eye immediately, and I spent much of the film hoping there'd be a nice shot of it. There is, towards the end of the movie. It looked like a 1950's/early 60's Geneve or Constellation to me, but I'm an amateur, so perhaps some other cinephile/Omega fanatic will be able to recognize it.

2. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Jan 4, 2017

True class +1

panopticonison likes this.
  3. TLIGuy Jan 4, 2017

Maybe he will sport a Speedmaster in his next movie.

Actor Ryan Gosling will portray Neil Armstrong in Universal Studios' biopic about the Apollo 11 astronaut, "First Man," to be directed by Damien Chazelle.

Gosling, who currently stars in Chazelle's latest movie, "La La Land," now in theaters, secured the deal to appear as the first moonwalker this month.

news-122916a-lg.jpg

gemini4 and panopticonison like this.
  4. Tubber Jan 4, 2017

A Canadian playing the part of an American hero? Ain't that a bit like an Aussie playing William Wallace or an Irishman playing Rob Roy?

5. Canuck Jan 4, 2017

How about William Shatner (Canadian, surprise surprise) playing Captain Kirk in Star Trek? Maybe we should compile a list of names of Canadian actors who've made it big in movies or television! Raymond Burr, Jim Carey, Leslie Neilson, and the list goes on and on! Unusual? Not really!

mydeafcat likes this.
  6. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jan 4, 2017

What caught my eye in the photo is that the transmission gear selector appears to be in Park. At least the ignition switch is in the ON position.

I don't remember when I first started noticing this - within the past 2 years - but now I can't stop.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 4, 2017

There is a beautiful vintage gold watch in Sing! Buster Moon, the koala
    [​IMG]

Nathan1967 and semper_shells like this.
  8. Faz Jan 4, 2017

How could they be Canadian? They are famous...::stirthepot::

CdnWatchDoc, dougiedude and Jwit like this.
  9. Canuck Jan 4, 2017

::censored::

mydeafcat, Faz and Jwit like this.
  10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 5, 2017

Ok detective fox, apply the same logic to The koala in Sing!

Rause likes this.
  11. Tritium Jan 5, 2017

Good analysis Megan:thumbsup:
    I couldn't figure out anything from the original pictures, but I believe the seamaster you used as example, doesn't have a pie pan dial.

Jerseyhammer and Shadowoflo like this.
  12. meganfox17 Jan 5, 2017

Many Vintage Seamasters had that pie pan designs some not well demarcated but the basic design is present
    Anyway....I'll leave that to the experts to decide.
    I know what I said but the centre is raised all around on my example not exactly the classic sharp edged 12 faceted side dial of a Constellation of course

Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  13. Tritium Jan 5, 2017

I appreciate your reply Megan, but as I said this is not a pie pan dial, but you can still calling it pie pan and asking for experts to confirm it, why not? :)

Edit:
    I didn´t remember the word; the dial on your picture is called dome dial.

Edited Jan 5, 2017
  14. ConElPueblo Jan 5, 2017

True. In common Omega terminology, a pie pan dial is characterised by its very distinct 12-sided center. In other marques, this may not be the case.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  15. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 5, 2017

Good investigating, Ms. Fox, but you'll need to do something about those hairy arms of yours.:p

Syrte likes this.
  16. meganfox17 Jan 5, 2017

Ha6x! That hairy forearm FYI actually belongs to an OF member who posted that vintage gold Seamaster in few yrs ago.
    I always make it a point to scan through all the vintage or modern watches on the forum ( Not just Google ok ! ) because the clues are usually right here in front of Us [emoji3]

17. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 5, 2017

Just some more pics from images searching... I should take my gf to see this and ask her if she likes his watch:whistling:[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Badwolf Jan 5, 2017

Good work Megan, if only we had the CSI computers, they would have had that picture magically pin sharp.

19. panopticonison Jan 5, 2017

One note to add here -- in the film there's an actual close-up, and I may be misremembering but fairly sure it had combination numerals for 12/3/6/9 and triangular hashes for the remaining hours on the face. Hope that helps!

thelinendial likes this.
  20. cvrle1 Jan 5, 2017

panopticonison and Jwit like this.