Forums Latest Members

Let's discuss servicing your vintage Omega in Bienne

1. JCC Jan 29, 2020

Hi, this thread is a continuation of discussions that started in another thread regarding a vintage Omega. Specifically, the discussion was on whether or not it's worthwhile?

Anyone with personal experience recently, good or bad, please share!

I wanted to respond to a couple of posts on from the other thread.

From my understanding, you ask the service center to send your watch along with instructions on the work order to Switzerland. They open the watch up and take a gander. If they don't like what they see they send it back and refuse service. If they do like what they see they will send their estimate including everything they intend to do to your 'precious'. It is then that they will let you know what they will and will not follow on your requests. You can then determine if that's acceptable to you. If service is refused by either party they charge you $75 for shipment to and from Switzerland. This all sounds quite reasonable to me.

@redpcar Yes, waiting on buying the correct bracelet before sending it in.

Edited Jan 29, 2020
  2. JCC Jan 29, 2020

@JwRosenthal Also, I'm not planning on giving them a long list. Just some simple ones like light polish and don't replace crown unless there's an exact model replacement, etc. We'll see what happens. I'll post before and after results if we get to that point.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 29, 2020

Speaking for myself I never have and don’t plan to send any vintage omega to omega for repair. There are many competent watchmakers who will be able to service these watches, obtain movement parts and follow instructions at a lower cost and faster turnaround time than omega.

4. Dan S Jan 29, 2020

This type of instruction seems quite open to interpretation. What does a "light polish" mean exactly? What is an "exact model replacement"? Good luck.

As a vintage collector, I would not consider sending a vintage watch back to Omega. Like @MSNWatch, I just don't see any advantage in doing so, and many potential problems with communications.

P.S. How about an avatar OP?

5. JCC Jan 29, 2020

I don't know but I get verklempt when I think of the watch being serviced in a cleanroom with all that clean Swiss air. I bet none of the local watchmakers can afford that kind of setup? Plus there's just something about sending the watch back to its birthplace that makes me happy. When I think about the preciseness of Teutonic personalities working on my watch vs that of someone from New Jersey. Is that even a fair comparison? After all, there's a reason these watches are made in Switzerland and not New Jersey or anywhere else in the U.S. I guess you could find exceptions but to me, it's like finding a good car mechanic. The odds are against you. Better to just send it off to the factory where I know they will do it right?

6. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Jan 29, 2020

With your analogy though, would you send your Volvo back to Sweden if it needed a service? Or would you accept a Volvo trained mechanic with a master tech ASE certificate, with the full parts catalog, and all factory tools at their disposal?

And if you say no, a Volvo dealer will be just fine, well friend, that's what an Omega certified watchmaker would be (like Archer).

How do you know Omega won't hand your watch to a new technician who will do something terrible and send it right back? How is that more trustworthy than someone with decades of experience that isn't breathing Swiss air?

Here's proof of the pudding if you think Omega is all sparkles and magic:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-have-done-something-weird-to-my-speedy.106352/

lando, martinw, Dsloan and 1 other person like this.
  7. JCC Jan 29, 2020

Well, I'm talking about my grandmother's 1964 Seamaster de Ville. It's not worth that much as a collector's item so I don't think it's that much of a risk if they replaced the hands (the original hands were long gone anyway). Furthermore, it seems that the benefits outweigh the risks as another member sent their watch for an overhaul and they replaced a lot of worn parts. That would cost a fortune if you were to do that at a local watchmaker. Plus they probably wouldn't be as diligent in replacing the worn parts and I wouldn't know if they needed to?
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/experience-with-omega-service-center-in-bienne.102341/

Yea, sorry, I'm new to the forum so I haven't had time to insert an avatar. Let me do that now...

8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 29, 2020

So, one question: you wait for the correct Band before sending your watch to Omega. What exactly do you want to send back? A simple sentence will do. Add some pictures of your watch. Your Topic has been discussed till Death here. Start reading and stop posting uninteresting assumptions here. We talk about Facts on this Vintage Omega Forum. Not Fairy tales...... Help Members. Kind regards. Achim[/QUOTE]

Eve likes this.
  9. Dan S Jan 29, 2020

This is just your fantasy, and there is no demonstrable connection with reality. I'm sure there are some good experienced watchmakers at Omega's facility, but others are probably just novices, and it's an assembly line atmosphere. I would prefer to have a specific trusted person work on my watches. Someone with whom I have an ongoing relationship and who communicates well with me.

lando, kkt, Dsloan and 2 others like this.
  10. Pepe Lucas Jan 29, 2020

Well, it might depend on the watch and if the person that you send the watch has a parts account with Omega. Most of the services that I have done through Omega have included in their price all the parts that they need. The only times that the original estimate changed was if it needed a new dial or redialing. Plus Omega gives you a two year warranty. I just sent a vintage Tissot chronograph for service with an independent watch maker and he gave an estimate really close to what I could pay with my boutique if it was an Omega. Plus he gave me an estimate return time of 4 to 5 months.

11. JCC Jan 29, 2020

Since Omega won't likely have a 1960's BOR 8270, 1503, or 1037 I'm waiting until I obtain one before sending the entire watch to Omega. My grandmother's watch originally came with a leather strap which is how most of these Seamaster de Villes were sold. I want to have a bracelet.

Here's a photo of it. Also, I found the same exact model in the 1964-65 Omega catalog. I have not found it in previous or subsequent years. Note that there's no date nor 'de Ville' written below the Seamaster. Also, it uses double batton markers at the 12, 3, 6 and 9.

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 12.03.21 PM.png IMG_3680 (1).jpeg
  12. JCC Jan 29, 2020

Hmm, I know that Omega set standards when it comes to their watchmakers and how they repair watches. I have no idea what a random local watchmaker will or won't do. Furthermore, I have no appetite to find out or experiment. I'm not an Omega collector looking to own 5 or more Omegas and therefore looking for a relationship with a trusted local is a waste of time for me. I'm only looking to have my grandmother's watch serviced back to like-new condition. That's exactly what Omega promises and what I expect to get.

What I know is that factory service in Switzerland is where I send all of my watches. I had it done with my IWC and my Blancpains. The one time I had a problem after a service at IWC, after I complained, they made it right by redoing all the work. The watch came back perfect. I just had two of my Blancpains serviced and again, perfect.

What I know is that having it serviced at U.S. service centers, especially in New Jersey, is asking for trouble. That is also where I see the most complaints. A lot of the people complaining after service have had their's serviced by local service centers. That is also a mistake. Never, ever, do that. Always have it sent to Switzerland. They have the best watchmakers and will always make things right if the unlikely event they ever screw up. I also never deal with ADs. I always try to go directly to the source or as close to it as possible. That way, there's no miscommunication. When I had my two Blancpains serviced recently, I called and emailed their customer service manager in Switzerland directly. My watches came back perfectly the way I wanted.

Edited Jan 29, 2020
  13. Dan S Jan 29, 2020

Many thanks, it's great to get expert advice from someone with so much first-hand knowledge and experience. BTW, you seem to have a bit of a Switzerland fetish.

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 29, 2020

15. JCC Jan 29, 2020

I saw that. If I'm not mistaking you didn't specifically request it to be sent to Bienne nor did you request that they write light polish or just buff on the work order? Local service centers are where you'll find a lot of hacks. I hear of horror stories all the time from all different brands, not just Omegas. Never do that. Only Switzerland at their factories and be very specific with your requests!

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 29, 2020

I suspect that's because the dial has been re-painted (based on my observance of the photo provided).

The minute track seems to be in the wrong place. Possibly due to crystal distortion?

Hands don't look to be correct either, but they could be, I can't tell for sure.

[​IMG]

ConElPueblo and Dan S like this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 29, 2020

18. krogerfoot Jan 29, 2020

I think I see your problem there. I'd guess the members here trying to answer your questions would not consider the local watchmakers they entrust their work to as being randomly chosen.

kkt, Waltesefalcon and wagudc like this.
  19. JCC Jan 29, 2020

No and yes. I just took this photo because watchyouwant asked for it. It's night here so it's just a quick phone snap. I was going to take some better photos later once I get the bracelet put on but before sending it to Bienne. The dial is actually almost perfect to the naked eye. It hasn't been painted. That's just due to the bad photo and light. The hands are most definitely not originals but replacements from some other brand. The full service should see the originals put back. There's a large chunk of plastic missing at the 11 o'clock position which I'm looking forward to having the Hexalite replaced.

The minute markers are an accurate representation of where they stand relative to the edge of the watch. Are you saying that they should be closer to the edge? I'm quite excited about this restoration as it's a relatively rare Seamaster because it looks very different from other models. The no 'de Ville' and double batons are not in other years.

20. JCC Jan 29, 2020

Edited Jan 29, 2020