Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega in La La Land

1. yinzerniner Jan 5, 2017

Yeah, I specifically remember the shot in the end of the movie, when he's waiting for her outside the house (no spoilers).
    Don't remember if there were arabic numerals or not but definitely remember triangular indices and a rather simple (ie not waffle, or pie pan) dial.
    Fantastic film, highly recommended for all even though the baby goose is a mediocre singer and dance; not fear since he's pretty good on the ivories.

Retsamaes and panopticonison like this.
  2. westmtn Jan 5, 2017

[​IMG]

Waltesefalcon, Giff2577 and Jwit like this.
  3. Kmart Jan 6, 2017

If that's the case, @ConElPueblo is selling a piece that matches that description almost exactly for anyone interested (though it might be a bit larger, not sure how big Mr. Gosling's wrists are): https://omegaforums.net/threads/1953-seamaster-ref-2494-8-2657-jumbo-chronometre.49278/

I'd be all over it if I hadn't already made several impulse vintage watch buys in the past month :oops:

4. kryllyn Jan 7, 2017

I just saw the movie yesterday, absolutely beautiful, a must-see. I was immediately struck by the watch and I'm looking around to find what it was. Towards the end there is a direct shot of it, I distinctly remember it having Arabic numerals on the 12, 3, 6, 9. The link from Kmart seems to be very very similar, if not the same watch.

yinzerniner likes this.
  5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 8, 2017

I saw the movie last night. The watch is an Omega, as described by @panopticonison, with a patinated dial no "Seamaster", "Constellation" nor "Automatic" inscription. Something like this (from Naligazone.com).

Omega case OT2686 with cal.283
    [​IMG]

thelinendial, Syrte and Jwit like this.
  6. Rainman88 Jan 8, 2017

First time posting and an amateur at watches. Saw this thread as I was looking for more information on the watch too.

I've seen the movie twice. and am pretty sure there's no 'seamaster' inscription.

Something I found alike is attached, but I think deafboy's pic is closer.

Screenshot_2017-01-08-17-02-45.png
    Deafboy likes this.
  7. yinzerniner Jan 12, 2017

So, after a bit of sleuthing found a crappy camrip of the flick to take this screenshot:
    La-La-Land-Omega.jpg
    Definitely a gold omega, very similar to the one @Rainman88 posted. The lugs look a little straighter than his example, although the dial and hands are pretty much spot on. Then again it might just be the angle that makes the lugs look straighter. Also, the crown is very thin.

Giff2577, Deafboy and Jwit like this.
  8. Kmart Jan 15, 2017

Finally saw the film today, thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I'm a sucker for Jazz and musicals so it didn't take long to win me over.

Here's a slightly better screenshot of his watch... probably the best we will get until the Blu-Ray comes out. Enhance!

La La Land Omega.png

9. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 15, 2017

That's quite impressive if you were able to literally screenshot the watch within the theater while you were watching it. The close-up was only about 1 or 1 1/2 seconds! Is that what you did? Way to go! :)

I just saw 'La La Land' myself last night, not knowing I should look for his vintage Omega.... I. e., I hadn't seen this thread yet...

But I was pleasantly surprised that 'Sebastian', Ryan's character, would be wearing it on his RIGHT wrist; and so a fellow 'LEFTY' :thumbsup: !! :D.... wears his watch on his 'right' (correct) wrist...

... that almost NEVER happens in the movies!

So it begs the question: Is Ryan, the actor, a Lefty?

The movie itself was quite entertaining, and highly recommended.

Edited Jan 15, 2017
    CdnWatchDoc, Kmart and Jwit like this.
  10. Kmart Jan 15, 2017

Ha! :p No, I took a screen cap from the newest screener that leaked online. It's still not the best quality (720x288 or something) but certainly better than a camrip. Shh... ::stirthepot::

I thought that was cool too! I always notice when characters wear their watches on their right wrist. I don't think Ryan is a lefty though. Apparently he collects vintage Rolex and can often be spotted sporting one on his left wrist. He wore a 50s Air-King to the Golden Globes! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Giff2577 likes this.
  11. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 15, 2017

The brief close-up was REALLY close, in fact, I think it was closer to only one second, maybe less... tough to catch in the theater!

So, it must be the 'character' Sebastian, not Ryan, the actor who might have been a 'lefty' who wore his watch on the right... I find that most lefty's actually STILL wear they're watches on the left; so I was shocked when I saw 'Sebastian wearing his watch on the RIGHT...

... hopefully, Hodinkee (or someone else) will get an interview, and ask Ryan how/why they chose for him, an apparent 'righty', to wear the watch on his right...

12. Kmart Jan 16, 2017

Right. And yes, it was a very short close up... I sort of knew it was coming because I had read this thread already but there's no way you could take a picture that quickly in the theater. You could really make out the details though! Looking forward to the 4k Blu-Ray to see if we can figure out exactly what it is.

13. Etchv Jan 24, 2017

IMG_0046.PNG
    Kmart, cvrle1 and dougiedude like this.
  14. Etchv Jan 24, 2017

pic of my friend's Bumper

15. tellinroc Jan 28, 2017

It looks similar indeed but I am not quite sure that it's the same.
    Gosling's character watch doesn't have "automatic" mentioned below Omega, the crown and minute hand look different too.
    It is a complete mystery to me. I'm not even sure that it's gold, it seems silver on the picture above.

16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 28, 2017

Definitely a yellow gold, or GF case when you see the movie. Probably a pre-Constellation manual-wind; possibly the reference 2686 mentioned by @Deafboy or the one posted by @Rainman88 above.

17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 29, 2017

Or 100s of Americans in "sound of music"

[​IMG]

::facepalm1::

18. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 29, 2017

The leads are played by an Englishwoman and a Canadian.

kkt and Archer like this.
  19. SpeedTar Jan 29, 2017

Hi there!! just come out from the movie and wanted to create a thread but already done...not surprised!!
    To me it was an Omega 30T2, isn't it?
    496.077b.jpg

20. SpeedTar Jan 29, 2017

hum well, just saw the screen shot...i am out!!::facepalm1::