Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan S May 9, 2021

This is a thread for people to talk about their experiences getting vaccinated. I think someone already started a thread on the a topic you seem to want to discuss. It didn't get much traction, but you are free to revive it.

Stripey, Joe_A, gnuyork and 3 others like this.
  2. gbesq May 9, 2021

Nothing goes with COVID quite like type 2 diabetes. :)

Stripey likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 9, 2021

Happy to be of service.

Too bad it’s not a laughing matter.
    gatorcpa

Stripey, Joe_A and gnuyork like this.
  4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent May 9, 2021

Well said, but I think that thread was eighty sixed, which was good, but it is also the way this one is heading if this keeps up. That would be really unfortunate because I think people sharing their experiences of receiving the vaccine is valuable. So let’s all agree to keep it on topic and not take the bait when someone tries to stir the pot.

5. Evitzee May 9, 2021

I think all those people who are going to take the vaccine have pretty much raised their arms and taken it (where it is widely available to all). People are funny about these things, about 25% of health care people have downright refused to take it, many in the Armed Services and law enforcement as well. Most people over 60 have taken it, younger people not so much. Messaging in the US has been a problem, get the vaccine but you still shouldn't travel, and you should still wear a mask. Then the poorly thought out Johnson & Johnson halt put unneeded turmoil into the vaccine effort. Many people are asking, if I still can't get back to normal life with the jabs what's the point?

Vaccinations are like wills and trusts, 68% of Americans don't have a will or trust, including 55% of those over 55, but people know the need of them. 40% have no life insurance even though 84% think people should have it. People do not like to think of their mortality, or getting sick. Many don't go to the doctor for these reasons, ignorance is bliss. Vaccinations against disease are part of their denial. It's always difficult reaching these people, many can't be reached.

Just about everybody I know has been vaccinated, one couple drove 5 hours each way to get the shots. Then there are others that say 'no way' when they come across a vaccine site set up in a CVS or Walmart.

The main reason for this thread was good, but it's just a repetition of experiences now; some have had no issues, some have had sore arms, a few have been laid low in bed for a day or two. But I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary that would be expected with a mass effort like this. But it was another reason to show watches while getting the jab, so there's that.

pdxleaf likes this.
  6. Dan S May 9, 2021

You don't have to read it. I'm still enjoying the stories and obviously people appreciate having a place to share. :thumbsup:

Stripey, Joe_A, mr_smith and 4 others like this.
  7. gbesq May 9, 2021

Stories good. Watches good. COVID bad. Fire bad.
    [​IMG]

Edited May 18, 2021
    pdxleaf and sgrenald like this.
  8. sgrenald May 10, 2021

It was a commencement address, not demeaning anyone. And it's pretty obvious from the context he misspoke and meant to call it an emotion or abstract concept. You do research to learn how many hamburgers are sold in the US in a year. You don't do research to learn what category of word a common one like "terror" falls into.

9. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much May 10, 2021

Would be nice to keep this thread on track as a good news story in dark times. Just a suggestion;-

dont-feed-troll.jpg

10. ChrisN May 11, 2021

Had the second AZ vaccine dose yesterday and was prepared to "ride the nightmare".::facepalm1:: I'm calling it "riding the placid pony" - no effects whatsoever...

Now, I'd like to put this down to be being a stoic Brit, keeping calm and just allowing a slight quiver of my upper lip to release all the agony:rolleyes:. The reality is that it seems not many people have more than slight discomfort and it's important that if someone has chosen to take the jab that we don't put them off. Me, I don't care whether people take the vaccine, it's not obligatory in UK so it's allowed for in the calculations.

Out of interest, I've said before that, in my opinion, we shouldn't try to overthink this as very few people understand the data being presented and I know that our Chief Medical Officer (Chris Whitty) is highly qualified in this field. It has been mooted by some without experience, qualifications or knowledge in the field that the AZ vaccine is not that good but, yesterday, Chris Whitty showed this in the daily coronavirus briefing with the UK PM - this is real world data (not trials) based on a six month roll-out of the vaccines in UK and is intended for public consumption - you can tell by the very simple presentation...
    vaccine effectiveness.jpg

You'll notice that he is saying both vaccines are similar in what they achieve:thumbsup: and doesn't draw any distinction between Pfizer and AZ. We are probably the only country in the world to have this data as we were first to use the Pfizer vaccine and (I think) first to use the AZ so, we have an experience over a longer period and are one using both vaccines. Your medical officers may have different opinions and that's fair enough and they are more applicable to your country.

I looked at the data behind this and it really does show both vaccines having the same effect. I'm not going to post it here as it will open up questions and, I'm sure, concerns. They have some preliminary data for a double dose as well but didn't present it yesterday - it is very encouraging but we'll see Whitty's interpretation one day which will be the most reliable. I suppose it will be in a month or two.

Took the E-Type to the vaccine centre on a nice spring day and was wearing my late 90s Constellation, cal 1120. Had a good chat afterwards with a guy who owns an Ariel Atom - these are made locally and are flying machines:). Must go and see their factory when restrictions are lifted.
    vaccine trip.jpg

Cheers, Chris

Joe_A, jsducote, Dan S and 10 others like this.
  11. aap May 16, 2021

Taken right after my first dose today. Thoughtfully chose which watch to wear, also set the correct date C23354ED-574C-4DB6-A035-89C2DC17D311.jpeg

ConElPueblo, Joe_A, Walrus and 16 others like this.
  12. jsducote May 18, 2021

Some places are giving out free donuts, burgers, or beers to encourage people to get vaccinated. I'm giving out Likes. Don't like the thread? Move along.

aap, Stewart A, 8100_RPM and 4 others like this.
  13. janice&fred May 18, 2021

Got my J&J stabbing a couple weeks ago :thumbsup:

jsducote, Dan S, Stewart A and 2 others like this.
  14. borozgb May 18, 2021

Got my first "shot" (Pfizer) 10 days ago ago, now I am waiting for the second one in precisely a month from today..

15. Wryfox May 18, 2021

Update 05/18: (recall my wife is on US Pentagon military team to set new policy and control of pandemics)

Now seeing data come out about post COVID analysis, and how to manage post COVID issues.
    - Mortality risk for surgical procedures is increased for patients who have had surgery within 7 weeks of COVID positivity (symptomatic or asymptomatic)
    - COVID Testing and COVID history is crucial when making decisions re surgery type and timing.

Also new trials re adolescents(12-15yo) and the vaccine:
    - Robust immune systems of young population resulting in higher reactogenicity symptoms, at 90.7% (far higher than all older population groups)

Beginning to identify post COVID system disorders of the heart, kidneys, lungs and liver (over a dozen just for the heart alone). Studies in process to determine extent and permanence of disorders.
    - Modified health standards or exemptions for post COVID military members, up to a year.
    - Investigating whether vaccines increase risk of similar disorders.

New cases in most prior week down 95% from peak in January

Now identified over 200(!) different variations of COVID (Top 4 account for 91% of positive cases, primary COVID strain still accounts for 70%)

Hope this is useful....

Joe_A, gbesq, gatorcpa and 12 others like this.
  16. akshayluc420 May 18, 2021

I got mine on the 13th, 1st shot of Pfizer in one of the pop-up clinics here in Toronto. Wanted to make sure I'm good before I move to a different town at the end of the month.

Immensely long lines, but thankfully it was lovely weather that day, people stayed calm and observed the 6ft spacing. Sadly, I didn't notice anyone thanking the volunteers or doctors, so I made sure to do so. You can totally see a person smile through their mask, the eyes crinkle up and sometimes their shoulders droop. A lil compassion and humanity got me a bottle of water, and a chat with a cutie (I promise I had no ulterior motives :p)!

jsducote, Stewart A, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  17. 30t1 May 19, 2021

My wife got the second yesterday, let’s see how it goes. I’m setup for June 8 for number 2. I was given the option, to push a race for next year so we took it.
    I’m hoping (dreaming) that things will be much better. So we can race, relaxed.

jsducote, Stewart A, 8100_RPM and 2 others like this.
  18. mr_smith May 19, 2021

My wife and I got the second Pfizer dose on Friday. Sore arms mostly that day. The worst of the side effects happened about 24-32 hours later. My wife woke with chills on Saturday and then went between that and being overheated all day, with a headache forming later. At about the 32 hour mark, we decided to take a nap... my wife went right out but I couldn't due to a pretty quick onset of muscle and joint aches all over. Staying upright and walking around helped a bit. By midnight Saturday all of the additional side effects were gone for the two of us as fast as they appeared and we were back to just sore arms at the injection site.

jsducote, Stewart A, p4ul and 3 others like this.
  19. mydeafcat May 19, 2021

I became a Moderna man this past Friday. Other than a sore shoulder for 3 days, I experienced no side effects. Went to the gym on Saturday morning (FTR: private lock-out session) and later went for a road bike ride. My wife had an AZ shot last month; she felt like shit for 2 days and is still on tenterhooks given what was a one-in-a-million clot issue is becoming a significantly lower fraction. Unlikely, sure, but she'd prefer not having it lurking...

jsducote, Dan S, 8100_RPM and 3 others like this.
  20. Walrus May 19, 2021

I’ve had two confirmed exposures to positive people since being fully vaccinated. So far I’m still alive and didn’t get anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.