Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kip595 May 19, 2021

Had my first jab last Saturday. An interesting side note: severe arthritis, psoriatic and rheumatoid, runs in my family (one type on each side) - after having covid last year, about a month later my doc said that what seemed like a sudden burst of acne/dermatitis, almost like being a teen and having spots again, was most probably my genes for psoriatic arthritis waking up...possibly due to covid's effect on my immune system.

After the vaccine, I had little to no side effects...until today, when every movement makes me mumble very creative profanities and my knuckles (fingers and toes) are all about the size of walnuts...very grateful to be vaccinated, but definitely hoping this effect goes away soon, or I'll be on the meds Doc suggested a lot sooner than I'd expected. :/

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2021

This could be what is now known as Reactive arthritis - it used to be known as Reiter's syndrome way back when I had my initial diagnosis for Ankylosing Spondylitis. When I went to see my first (of many) rheumatologist, he asked me some pretty odd questions about various types of infections I might have had, which to me seemed very unrelated to my aching joints. But this is what he was asking for, because an unrelated infection can trigger the onset of reactive arthritis.

There was a well known case study here in Canada from a papal visit of all things. The pope (JP2) went to a catholic shrine in Northern Ontario around 1980 or so, where some Jesuit missionaries were slaughtered by the Huron back in the 1600's. Provincial police were there and they were given meals from somewhere that had salmonella. Large number of officers were sick, and some developed inflammatory arthritis after that infection - it was reactive arthritis.

Back then - not sure how it's diagnosed now - they did antigen testing for the genetic predisposition to this, and I had the test in 1985. If you had this specific antigen it could trigger reactive arthritis from an infection. Turns out that wasn't my type of arthritis, but it's a close relative and the treatments are basically the same as far as I know. If symptoms persist, I would get to a rheumatologist, because early treatment will save your joints!

Cheers, Al

Commisar and kip595 like this.
  3. kip595 May 19, 2021

Heh, thanks - yeah, have an appointment for next week scheduled...oh the joys of growing older :rolleyes:

Commisar and Archer like this.
  4. cakey007 May 19, 2021

My wife and I had our first jabs tuesday after France opening the vaccinations to anyone over 18.- We're 38 & 34
    Walked into the centre and got it booked for the following day. Second booked for late June.

jsducote, 8100_RPM, LesXL and 2 others like this.
  5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 20, 2021

First vaccine on 12th February and no word of second so decided to make a call and after a bit being pushed from pillar to post I seem to have disappeared from the system but promised a call tomorrow :(

6. Stripey May 20, 2021

I’m curious as to where that figure for people who’ve refused to take it comes from.

7. 3nicewatches $100 well spent May 20, 2021

Vaccines work, they really do....not in every single person that gets them of course, but usually in enough of them...and that what’s it’s all about. Remove enough stepping stones, and the virus can no longer cross the stream

JohnWoo, LesXL and Stewart A like this.
  8. ChrisN May 21, 2021

I hope you get the call today. The allowed time between injections is 12 weeks in UK (I believe) but, they will have a system in place for your situation - perhaps you'll get two more?
    In Somerset, I got mine at exactly 10 weeks - 1st March and 10th May.

Good luck and enjoy summer - has it started yet up there as it is cold, windy and raining here:(.

Cheers, Chris

jsducote and Alpha like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 21, 2021

I had a psoriatic reaction to Voltaren tablets when 28. Had 18 months off work and 12 years on meds for psoriatic arthritis.
    22 years later I’m still on injections for psoriasis control but no arthritis issues.

10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 21, 2021

Yes hoping for a call today, summer seems to have come and gone up here, glorious weather for some time but now just like yourselves :(

ChrisN likes this.
  11. LesXL May 21, 2021

That's really odd... Don't you usually get the second appointment automatically when you arrange for the first shot?

This is how it works here, you get your first appointment, and depending on which vaccine one is getting, you immediately get the date and time for the second dose.

Hope you get a call promptly!

12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 21, 2021

No i'm afraid not, everything is done by snail mail even if you provide an email address ::facepalm2::
    And guess what no call today :(

Commisar and LesXL like this.
  13. MRC May 21, 2021

South of Hadrian's Wall it's done by phone or text from the local surgeries. They have said that the number of doses they'll get the following week is only made known at the last moment so that means they have to ring around and line up their ducks quickly. It has worked well for me and my local friends.

There is another scheme run by central (?) NHS (?) that can direct you to your nearest (?) NHS (?) facility, which anecdotally can be quite a distance away, with notification in the post. I'll take the trip to the doctors' surgery I can see across the fields, thanks. (Err, well, it's possible to see their church tower from the top of our church tower. Not much but fields in between though.)

14. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 25, 2021

Three weeks ago I had my first Pfizer shot in the morning and overall, it went pretty well. Just a sore (right) arm that was manageable and seemed to fade by evening.

This morning I got my second Pfizer shot and the result was just a little different. I got the shot in my left arm this time and almost 12 hours later my arm is really sore with the injection site being the most sensitive. It is uncommon for me to get a headache let along a migraine, however, in the 15 minute window after receiving the shot, a horrible splitting headache came about. Luckily it only lasted a couple of hours.

Outside of that, I haven’t experienced anything else.

jsducote, LesXL and 8100_RPM like this.
  15. LesXL May 26, 2021

Getting my second Pfizer shot in Friday as well. I did take a Dafalgan after the first shot as it was recommended. Similar to you, only a bit of a sore arms for a day.
    So, I think I'll be doing the same on Friday and taking a Dafalgan after the second jab.

And then check what has to be done to get my Digital Green Certificate :)

8100_RPM, jsducote and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  16. Walrus May 26, 2021

I brought someone yesterday for a covid test. Now I worked the entire shutdown and probably brought 30-40 people for tests and vaccines. I remember during the height of it having to spend 8 hours one day getting 3 guys tested. Had to bring someone yesterday, I needed an instant and a PCR so I couldn’t use the hospital, they only do PCR’s. Took 15 minutes. I’d say this is a good sign. Even watched the news while I waited for her, we were the only ones there, what a major change
    3F70B6BE-9AEC-4988-B472-11BE7A594A58.jpeg

8100_RPM, TimeODanaos, Alpha and 3 others like this.
  17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 26, 2021

STANDY, jsducote, pdxleaf and 9 others like this.
  18. 3nicewatches $100 well spent May 26, 2021

Alpha likes this.
  19. sxl2004 May 26, 2021

which one ? :thumbsdown:;)

timecube, Walrus and Alpha like this.
  20. Walrus May 27, 2021

Not trying to spread FUD here but working with someone who had the J and J vax a month ago and just tested positive for corona. I spoke with the MD, MD stated most likely he just had a detectable amount of coronavirus in his nasal cavity. Me being me and since I was a foot away from the dude I asked the doc if it’s possible this is a crazy variant and if we are all goners. He said it is possible though unlikely all he can confirm is the presence of corona virus. I’m giving my wife my bitcoin keys and trying to stay away from her but I was supposed to cook cod tonight so she isn’t too pleased. Mind you i have another chance, now #3 to test out my Moderna vax. Let’s hope this is just a fluke “detectable virus in the nasal cavity” thing. I have been through this so many times the past however long this has been going on I really don’t fear for myself, whatever is gonna happen will happen. My concern is passing it on to others. Of course I’m getting a headache and stuff now but I’m 99% sure that’s just paranoia kicking in. If stuff goes south I’ll ask my wife to post my watches here but she is a tough negotiator and thinks my watches are worth much more than are so I’m not recommending you go that route.

timecube likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.