Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsducote Feb 5, 2021

How many of our members have got the jab?

My long-term partner, at the clinic today for cancer treatment, got her first dose by chance since she hadn't called ahead to secure it. The nurse found a dose right when we arrived, but then gave it to someone else. She returned an hour later having found another. I'm not a patient at that clinic/hospital, so they wouldn't give it to me as her carer. Mom & Dad, over 75, have each had at least the first dose, somehow arranged through their doctor. Nobody else in my family. I've signed up with the county health service as well as two local hospitals. I qualify to skip the line a little bit thanks to preexisting condition but, as my primary doctor is in a private clinic, I'm not likely to get a call until it's open to the public. I saw my doctor last week for a routine physical and he said as much. I suppose I could try switching doctors, but it may take just as long to get a first appointment with him and go through the process.

I don't know about y'all, but I find the whole process of vaccine queuing rather confusing. I mean, I understand the different phases and priority groups that have been established, but where's the actual line to stand in? As near as I can tell, there are 6 "vaccine hubs" in Houston, at least 10 other providers, and dozens of little community clinics that have been allocated some vaccine. There was a big event at the local football stadium a few weeks back where they vaccinated the first 40,000 people to show up or something like that. Otherwise, everything else is "unavailable, check back later". Are we just supposed to hit refresh on a dozen different websites a day until we're the 104th caller with the phrase that pays?

2. KeithS Feb 5, 2021

I got the Moderna. It was unpleasant, but also a huge relief.
    4DA5068C-2674-48B1-8FB2-F646DC2D2C95.jpeg

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Feb 6, 2021

Not until September at least for me, and that’s okay, the list of those who are in riskier groups is long.

4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 6, 2021

I was part of the Novovax trial (US vaccine not yet approved in the UK) and received a random/blind injection last October as part of the UK trial. I had no reaction or side-effects and assumed that I’d received the placebo as part of the control group.

it was only when I was offered the UK vaccine two weeks ago that I was unblinded and was told that I’d had two jabs of the actual vaccine, and I consequently declined the UK offer (don’t need both).

Commisar, Mr.Cairo, BenBagbag and 7 others like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Feb 6, 2021

My girlfriend is involved in the roll-out of vaccines in certain facilities here in Denmark (from an administrative position) and the amount of reworking, adjusting and ad-hoc'ing they've had to do has made it clear to me that we cannot reliably forecast when we're getting our shots. This is in part due to the supply difficulties, part due to setting up and monitoring and prioritising the roll-out on a number of vastly different risk groups in different areas and finally due to the monstrous task of tying this together in a concerted effort. Soooo many work hours go into putting this together and every time there is a glitch, the media frenzy begins.

nicks, Caliber561, rbob99 and 3 others like this.
  6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 6, 2021

Yup, had a first jab last week (Oxford / Astra) as part of UK ‘queue number four please’ (vulnerable not ancient)
    Felt like someone had punched me in the arm and had achy arms and legs for a couple of days but all good after that.
    likely won’t get second jab until end of April.

Unfortunately Mrs P unlikely to get her jabs until summer/autumn.

jsducote likes this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2021

Hunger Games here in Illinois. No luck so far. Big surprise given how “nanny state” we’ve been since this began.

8. amcclell Feb 6, 2021

Not yet - I suspect I'll have it by September when the general population in Canada is scheduled to be vaccinated. The focus now is on long term care clients and front-line health care and long term care workers.

I work from home in a rural town, so I am among the lower risk.

9. Dan S Feb 6, 2021

At first it looked as if I was going to be in group 1B in my state because of my profession, but as they have made things more granular, it seems that we have been omitted. So my wife and I will be with the general population. Probably later this summer. My 87 year-old mother is eligible in her state, but we haven't been able to secure an appointment for her yet.

Taddyangle likes this.
  10. dan7800 Feb 6, 2021

Mine is this Friday. I live in NY state, USA.

Taddyangle likes this.
  11. cvalue13 Feb 6, 2021

My wife is a physician and has received both doses; and, she’s ramped up breastfeeding our 1yr old, while making “magic” milkshakes for our 3yr old.

Accordingly, I’m the only one in the house without antibodies - and suspect it will be a long while before it’s my turn (as I’ll not use my affluence to skip the line).

Edited Feb 6, 2021
    Taddyangle and M'Bob like this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 6, 2021

It’s very revealing even that people are asking that question.
    I’m admittedly in a country where the government was abundantly criticized for the sluggish roll out, but even now that they’re stepping efforts and that the doses are clearly insufficient, it’s not as if people can go around shopping for their own dose.
    The supplies are distributed according to a government plan, with priorities set on the basis of need and risk factors, and people are not at liberty to go and get their shot just because they pay for it. And it’ll be a while before everyone gets a shot.

Rightly or wrongly, and with no offense intended, I always assume people asking that question are American.

pennsyl936, jsducote and LesXL like this.
  13. cvalue13 Feb 6, 2021

which question, exactly?

cicindela and Nobel Prize like this.
  14. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 6, 2021

We call it a 'shot' here in the US. I got the 1st (Pfizer) on 1/29 and get the 2nd on 2/15.

jsducote and M'Bob like this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 6, 2021

The question « did you get your shot »?
    IMHO the question supposes people have options.
    Except for Israel and perhaps the UK where they have been incredibly efficient at mass vaccination, perhaps Germany, the people being vaccinated right now are health care workers or people who are most at risk due to age or co morbidities.
    So it’s not as if anyone can go in and get vaccinated when they choose.
    I’m sure it’ll be months before I can get a vaccine, I’m not even thinking about it.

Commisar and FREDMAYCOIN like this.
  16. cvalue13 Feb 6, 2021

Maybe there’s a language barrier here; it does not necessarily suppose one has options.

I read it instead as no different than “who has received their Snoopy” - not about options, but instead about rarity and imperfectly scoping progress.

(And I always find it odd when folks from a country the size of single U.S. state, plaster generalizations about a country greater than the size of the whole of Europe.)

Buster, Traveler, cicindela and 7 others like this.
  17. vintage hab Feb 6, 2021

It's the same in the U.S. Vaccines are distributed based on the government plan and priorities. I know of no way to skip the line and pay for it.

18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 6, 2021

To me the question presumes the public at large is getting vaccinated. Otherwise why ask?
    It’s as if I were asking « did you get your Hodinkee Vacheron Corne de Vaches limited edition »?

19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 6, 2021

Glad to hear.

JohnWoo and vintage hab like this.
  20. cvalue13 Feb 6, 2021

No, but between states and localities the public is being vaccinated and wildly different rates...

And of course there are bad apples in the U.S., unlike in more enlightened countries :rolleyes:

cicindela and Nobel Prize like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.