Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew C Apr 27, 2021

Also...

I thought of one massive advantage of COVID today.

Wearing watches on both wrists without judgement.

Double wristing a Tudor 79280 on the left and a Gallet Multichron Pilot on the right today...

sxl2004 likes this.
  2. Professor Apr 27, 2021

An older guy at the store today told me was getting his second Pfizer shot today. I told him to be prepared to "Ride the Nightmare".

I've heard that the second Pfizer shot is rough because the new anti-bodies are fighting the anti-bodies created by the first shot.
    Symptoms resemble those of an infection because the immune response is what causes the obvious symptoms to begin with. Of course the vaccine anti-body response doesn't destroy lung tissue as the infection does.
    The Spanish Flu killed by over amping the bodies immune system responses. The elderly and those with weak immune systems lived while young otherwise healthy adults died like flies.

3. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 28, 2021

You have heard wrong, after the first injection of an antigen the body starts production of antibodies (or B-cells) this progresses over time. When the second injection (commonly called a ‘booster’) is given then the body reacts to produce greater numbers of antibodies, or ‘boosts’ the number of B-cells. The older you are the higher the likelihood of systemic and local reaction.
    Antibodies do not attack antibodies.

Adverse reactions to covid vaccines are generally mild and transient, even if you are unlucky enough to get a systemic reaction it is better than getting the disease, everyone should get their shots.

If anyone has concerns, look at the science yourself, don’t just read the headlines.
    As an example, scroll to the final paragraph of this.....

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/reactogenicity.html

sxl2004 and pdxleaf like this.
  4. Andrew C Apr 28, 2021

Circumstantial is, well, circumstantial.

But my symptoms for actually getting COVID were about 10x what I had after the vaccine. Seems logical.

I had the virus in mid-March (“Ok, babe. We are going into quarantine next week, I think. Let’s go to a Paddy’s Day celebration with 300 people), so at least some immunity should have eroded.

5. pdxleaf ... Apr 28, 2021

I heard that covid is not as bad as the flu and that it's hyped up by the press (couple days ago from a lumber yard worker.)

I saw dead bodies and people bloated trying to breath.

So, so sick of stupid and stubborn.

6. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 28, 2021

Glad you are well!

7. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 28, 2021

We all have a responsibility to try and challenge these beliefs, may not be comfortable, may not work, but give it a try if you can people.

I have a good, fairly intelligent friend who is swayed by internet misinformation I keep sending emails (3 months now) with research based outcomes to her and ask her to make her own decision....still hoping!

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 28, 2021

2nd dose Pfizer no issues at all. Even arm wasn’t as bag. :thumbsup:

marcn, jsducote, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  9. LesXL Apr 28, 2021

Nice! One month to wait for my second shot now :)

10. Wryfox Apr 28, 2021

-------------------------
    2nd shot last Thursday 9am:

9PM Thurs aches and pains

Friday Full body aches and pains. difficult to move. spent most of day in bed.

Saturday aches and pains gone but severe fatigue

Sunday, tired but functional

Monday, took mountain bike ride. Felt normal.

Summary: both shots had identical reactions. Both reactions of same magnitude and duration.

My wife had NO reaction to first shot(same Moderna) but severe flu like reaction to second shot that lasted two days(fever, nausea, headaches). Very different than mine.

I have been told by several different people that the reaction I had is indicative of having already had COVID. I can find no information on this but am curious if this is a common conception?

jsducote and Dan S like this.
  11. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 28, 2021

This is not Peer Reviewed (yet), it is ‘observational’ and relatively low numbers for a study. (These are caution signs for reading and confidence in trial data). Despite that it may be indicative of your situation?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.15.21252192v1.full.pdf

Hope it helps, stay well.

Wryfox likes this.
  12. No.15 Apr 28, 2021

Wife got her second pfizer yesterday and had very mild reactions this morning. She said very slight achyness. I get my second moderna in a couple of weeks, hopefully mine are just as mild.

jsducote likes this.
  13. sgrenald Apr 28, 2021

Here in Georgia, they let you get on "excess vaccine waiting lists" back in February. So if someone didn't show up, the pharmacy could call you to get the shot instead. I got my first on March 15 and my second one three weeks later. I was fine the first day. The second day I was feeling a bit run down, and by 5-6pm I had a splitting headache. I bought some Tylenol, and that fixed up the headache. I was feeling a bit run down (but basically 90%-plus) for a couple of days and then I was fine.

I'm not working right now, but I think if I HAD been, I wouldn't have needed to take time off.

jsducote and Dan S like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2021

In terms of reactions to the vaccine, the day we had our AZ first doses, we both went back to work, but later in the day went out to hit the tennis ball around on the road (all courts are closed here due to public health restrictions) for a while. Played for about 30 minutes, and I felt a bit tired. Had dinner and after we ate I started to feel achy, stiff neck, etc., and my wife felt much worse, so all that plus chills and felt shaky.

For me there is some question if was a vaccine reaction, because since I received my vaccine appointment I had cut back on a few medications I take for my arthritis that suppress my immune system, so not sure if it was just the fact that I had been cutting back on those catching up with me. I did this because there's some evidence that specific medications (including 2 I'm taking) can "mute" the immune response to these vaccines. In addition there was a cool wind blowing on the back of my neck the whole time we were outside, so that may have made the stiff neck issue worse.

But it seemed to come on so quickly, and then be gone the next morning, which is not the normal pattern for this type of thing - after 35+ years of this I know what this normally goes like. So I do think it was a vaccine reaction.

For my wife there was no doubt. She was achy, had a headache, was tired, and didn't sleep well that night. She felt the same the next day all day, had to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon. By Sunday she was feeling better, and by yesterday back to normal. It's the first time she's ever had a reaction to a vaccine, and she's had lots from going to different countries that require them (as have I), so things like yellow fever, etc.

For me, I wanted to feel a reaction, so I'd have some indication that I was getting an immune response. I've not had any reaction to prior vaccines either, including the shingles vaccine that many people say is pretty bad on the second dose - I didn't feel anything for either, or yellow fever, or any of the many others I've had.

Dan S likes this.
  15. M'Bob Apr 28, 2021

An opinion from an infectious disease doc I read recently stated that there is not a high correlation they can find between the extent of side-effects and the immune response, so you’d probably be covered even if you didn’t get the subsequent symptoms.

p4ul likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2021

I know - more for my peace of mind than anything else...

p4ul likes this.
  17. Evitzee Apr 28, 2021

This is why many people are hesitant to get the second dose, or even the first. I know many people who have had both Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, or the one shot J&J, no one has reported any major discomfort. My wife and I had no issues at all. Yet the media blares out when an occasional case of someone not doing well after a shot and people pick up the idea that the vaccine is a trip through hell. It's not. Too much fear mongering going on to the point that many medical people are refusing to get vaccinated.

wagudc, TimeODanaos, Joe_A and 5 others like this.
  18. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Apr 28, 2021

“Professor” ::confused2::

glownyc likes this.
  19. Professor Apr 28, 2021

https://abc7news.com/covid-19-vaccine-side-effects-pfizer-moderna-covid-19/10521642/

20. jsducote Apr 28, 2021

My own slightly unscientific opinion is that there are a couple hundred variables that go into how we're feeling on a day by day, as well as hour by hour, basis: Temperature, light, food, allergies, yesterday's exercise, the boss reaming us out over a presentation ... It's tempting to ascribe all post-vaccination symptoms to a particular singular cause - sometimes we can and I'm not saying yours aren't related to the jab, as you know your body better than anyone else. But there are also so many different reactions to that one particular stimulus that we can't say that everyone will react the same way, as some have suggested. My first shot gave me a sore arm for a week (variable: pre-injection Tylenol?) but absolutely no reaction to the second (variables: needle placement & angle?). I think that's also why researchers haven't been able to pin down cases where someone fully vaccinated gets it again and gives it to a bunch of other people. Or otherwise perfectly healthy people going tits-up next door to an elderly lady who shrugs it off. This is quite a different disease than we're used to dealing with as a species.

Stewart A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.