Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. Diabolik Mar 3, 2016

Very interesting.

It is trying to be a 22704 I think. 60's dial with a 90s logo. Not sure what to make of it but bidding has gone a little crazy.Movement is correct and so is chapter ring as well as Hour and Minute/Chrono hand but I have some very serious doubts about the dial. It is a very bad redial in my eyes ... However In the current UG frenzy, it is likely to reach the stars!

::facepalm1::

Logo reminds me of this ...

universal geneve.jpg

Edited Mar 3, 2016
    ELV web likes this.
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 3, 2016

It is an example of the crazed stupidity of the UG masses.

Diabolik and ELV web like this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2016

Fully agree. Let us all recite the credo of M4tt, with the appropriate emphasis for the case under consideration:

"I love eBay; it rewards knowledge, diligence, and deft action but punishes ignorance, foolishness, and greed"

Dre, jordn, nightowl and 2 others like this.
  4. zr4484 Mar 5, 2016

5. aap Mar 6, 2016

One thing that instantly pops out is how the "Universal Geneve" and "Compax" prints are bolder than everything else.

6. Diabolik Mar 6, 2016

From what I can see, it is a redial. Probably an early one. Out of center registers and font are a give away.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 6, 2016

Brand and model name were stamped separately from the rest of the dial and often appear different. This is easier to see on dark-colored dials.

respectfully disagree. it is the photography that makes the registers seem off center. That saud, dial is a little too degraded, and the case is a little too polished to consider it, IMO. Those lugs are supposed to have facets to them.

10H10 and aap like this.
  8. Severin Mar 6, 2016

While I am not specifically in the market for one of these at this time, I have been viewing this listing over the past week with curiosity and thought I’d share for your interest. Clearly not as pristine as the fine specimen we’ve seen on this Forum over the years, but intriguing nonetheless. I note the plates in the movement shot are somewhat different from what we’ve seen so far. Can’t determine from the pics whether the crystal is signed or not. Anyhow, thought you might enjoy taking a look at this if you haven’t already done so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-RARE-Universal-Geneve-Polerouter-ELECTRIC-from-1960s-/252286328764Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

9. abzolut Mar 6, 2016

Dear all, I'm new here and am really glad to have found this UG forum with many knowledgeable members!

Last Friday I came across an eBay listing that I got a bit too excited about and went ahead to "shoot first, talk later". Firstly because of the quite amazing Buy It Now price (in my opinion at least) and with that in mind, I thought it looked authentic based on my limited knowledge.

I did have some concerns/questions:
    1.) the central seconds hand is red - can't seem to find any other such example - most are black / gold?
    2.) based on the seller's blurry pic of the crown it looks to be signed with a U - is that correct?
    3.) there didn't seem to be many examples sporting the same type of minute indexes - most I have seen online are not "arrowhead" shaped but rectangular indexes.
    4.) was reading that there are letters on some UG movements e.g. UOW indicating the import code - the seller pic didn't seem to reflect that but had a rather messy inscription instead.
    UG Tricompax 1.jpg UG Tricompax 2.jpg UG Tricompax 3.jpg

If it helps, on the inside of the caseback is the reference 22279 and case number 106xxxx.

It's obviously too late if it isn't the real deal (and I accepted that risk) but it would be great if anyone can help advise on what you think I landed. Thank you very much in advance!

10. Diabolik Mar 6, 2016

I understand why you would and you are absolutely correct about perspectives which can make things seem what they are not. However, that font is quite unusual; here is another 12558 from another post, around the same period and same model variation.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1945-ug-compax-with-pulsations.25113/

I am a little torn, and have limited knowledge. The one feature of the dial that sways it for me is the 12 and hour markers. Saying that, and dismissing registers, everything else seems pukka ! I have never seen one of these and I am leaning on the side of caution ... I shall perhaps retract my previous statement as I now have doubts ...

Edited Mar 6, 2016
  11. 10H10 Mar 6, 2016

Hi Abzolut,

At first glance,
    1. The case is dammaged, the whole rear of the 3 hrs pushbutton is missing (and the screw holding it is "blurred" ?).
    2. The dial (limit condition IMO) is a late 50's and the case a 1943.
    3. The moondisk is from a later production.
    4. The red hand is from a 60'.
    5. A spring seems to have a problem.
    6. The crown is wrong.
    The rest is ok, anyway if you can pull yourself out of the sale I would advise that you do it (case very dammaged and impossible to repair).
    I'm sorry to say that it doesn't seems to be the deal of the year, but of course it all depends how much you've paid.

Edited Mar 6, 2016
  12. zr4484 Mar 7, 2016

Interesting observations, thank you both for your thoughts, i did think that the font looked a bit out of place, but i found the rest of the dial to be quite untouched.

13. Dre Mar 7, 2016

Did someone here buy this? The auction ended early, last seen was around 150 EUR which was my bid.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/UNIVERSAL-GE...d62643656:g:Lw4AAOSwxp9W2d6f&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

Edit: Apprently the seller had another BIN listing that somehow wasn't showing up in my eBay when I checked his other items for sale. And someone in this forum bought it!

Edited Mar 7, 2016
    Diabolik likes this.
  14. Jonatan Mar 7, 2016

Not on eBay but 15Euros each on http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/i...ce-15E-chaque-voir-descriptif,language,F.html

Found this and figured it could help a few of you (if they are legit)

#1: looks like the second hand of a late compax, exotic dial, etc.
    #4-5 : are for the later versions of polerouter

and I'm not sure about the other ones.

In case it can help anyone.

EDIT: There is also a Polerouter Date for sale on the site but it looks a little too clean and it's a 1000Euros
    http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/i...neve-polirouterdate-automatic,language,F.html

EDIT : Yes the title does say Polirouterdate luckily not the dial!

Capture d’écran 2016-03-07 à 15.36.02.png
    Edited Mar 7, 2016
    Gatsby and Diabolik like this.
  15. Diabolik Mar 7, 2016

He is out of 1, 11 and 12 ...

16. Jonatan Mar 7, 2016

@Diabolik sorry to get your hopes up!

I knew I had seen the 11 and 12 on a watch before but I didn't have time to find the info. They belong to which what?

17. Diabolik Mar 7, 2016

It was too good to be true! :(

They are of a second gen polerouter sub. With a touch of reaming, the second hand could also be used on some 885xxx. Not all is lost, some of the other hands are likely to find homes. However, do check charges as the ad does talk about micellanous costs.

ps: i knew my french would come in handy at some point ...

Edited Mar 7, 2016
  18. Severin Mar 7, 2016

I find it most difficult to assess dials when they are almost too good to be true - the bad redials are the easiest. That said, if this one is legit, it is a beauty of an execution. My bias is to think it's the real deal in this case. Could't see the crystal re: signed or not or date window or not and shame about what looks to be an almost entirely effaced caseback enblem. Couldn't find a movement shot, but looks to be of the Cal. 215 family. I wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't last long. If I wasn't more focused on the black dials, I might consider it myself.

19. Jonatan Mar 7, 2016

Shipping is for the buyer.

20. nightowl Mar 7, 2016

Was that the one that was on sale on the bay just recently?

Diabolik likes this.