Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Mar 8, 2016

The case was modified to fit a wrong size pusher. I cannot fathom what possessed the watchmaker to do such a thing ::facepalm2::
    More likely that the hand is not an authentic UG part. Incorrect length. Unfortunately, the sub-dial hands are incorrect as well.
    Yep the minute recording jumper looks bent and will most likely need to be replaced.

OP's movement is inscribed "HOX" the import code used for UG watches under the Henri Stern agency
    With everything that is wrong with the watch, I would say it would warrant a return depending on how the watch was described. Good luck! In the future, I would consult this forum before taking a risk

2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Mar 8, 2016

I am agreement with LOu that this isn't a redial, but it appears to be a franken: incorrect pushers and the crown/strap/box are all UG parts from different periods of its repertoire

3. abzolut Mar 8, 2016

Dear 10H10 and jordn, thank you very much for your advice - I obviously have a lot to learn and will come back here going forward to guide any future purchases.

I have just emailed the seller asking to make the return (even though he stated that he is not accepting returns on the ebay listing). Hope that goes ok...

4. aap Mar 8, 2016

But what are these on the case back?!!!
    Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 3.56.01 PM.png

5. Severin Mar 8, 2016

Not to worry, it's just the recharging and headphone ports. Kidding aside, I reckon them to be reflections of the cellphone that took the pic.

jargonjustin, bub838 and aap like this.
  6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 8, 2016

I can answer that one! It's the reflection of the phone camera

aap likes this.
  7. Jonatan Mar 8, 2016

it's the new Samsung Polerouter watch!!

8. aap Mar 8, 2016

Haha, I didn't think of that. Brain fart!

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 9, 2016

Yes, these are really uncommon watches and perhaps one of the most beautiful examples of early battery power. That's not to say they went to new creative heights. While other companies were trying to funk up their battery powered watches, UG decided in this case to keep it classic and subtle.

IMG_20141202_122929382.jpg
    bub838 and Gatsby like this.
  10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 9, 2016

$_57 (1).JPG $_57.JPG
    ELV web and gophishin like this.
  11. Severin Mar 9, 2016

I concur. P.s. Is that your own wrist shot? What a fantastic pic and good looking watch!

12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 9, 2016

Yes it is! Thank you. :)

13. Severin Mar 9, 2016

In that case, please accept my sincere congratulations as well as the shameless/humble insertion of myself into the queue du Dibs! Wowzers - nice watch.

Diabolik likes this.
  14. Charles@UW Mar 10, 2016

15. keywerd Mar 10, 2016

16. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 10, 2016

There are already a couple threads about this one (I had the chance to buy it last week and was debating hard). Hands are impossible to find though. Would be maddening and ultimately futile, especially at that price point.

17. Diabolik Mar 11, 2016

If it was only in need of hands, one could see it as a worthwhile project. However, There are other issues:

Incorrect movement (non ug)
    No serial number or model reference (has the kojak syndrome)
    Poor bezel

Therefore, you are left with a case and dial which in my opinion are reasonable apart from the lack of serial and reference. Its value is therefore whatever one would pay for the half cas, dial, bezel, crown and pushers.

I will leave the forum to put a value on what remains ...

Gatsby likes this.
  18. gophishin Mar 11, 2016

I was hoping to get your input on this one. I messaged the seller to see if he could send me pictures of the caseback or at least the numbers on the caseback but no response. Although nothing particularly special, this thing is stuck in my head. Not sure if it's those sharp beveled lugs, blued steel hands, or the just the clean dial layout. But with like many of these vintage UG's reference material can sometimes be sparse, especially when I don't have the numbers from the caseback. It's also a little concerning that the Ranfft archive doesn't even list a Cal 264 movement. I suspect the crown isn't original, any thoughts on this one?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Severin Mar 11, 2016

Gatsby and ELV web like this.
  20. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 11, 2016